Thread: Did you find MGS3 a bit too light-hearted and comical?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Did you find MGS3 a bit too light-hearted and comical?

I guess the title's misleading: I meant to say "light-hearted and comical when it wasn't intended to be?"

So the other day I asked one of my friends: "Is MGS3 actually series canon or was it just a light-hearted parody intended to entertain and amuse the fans while they waited for resolution of MGS2's plot?"

He said it was indeed series canon, but having heard me ask the question and throw up the alternate viewpoint, his tone seemed to lean towards the other notion as well. In other words, he seemed to think both.

I can honestly say I didn't like the game personally, but the top-ranking things that really made me think the game was silly would have been The Boss' villain costume (I believe it was some kinda new sneaking suit, but I will always refer to it as a "villain costume" because that's how I saw it as it made her look like a Marvel/DC Comics villain) as well as her horse, the absurd supernatural bosses that made you wonder what Mr. Kojima was smoking, the James Bond style intro (actually most of the Bond movies are very light-hearted, which in turn leads me to believe that the case was meant to be the same with this game) and the scene where you climb this insanely high ladder to an acapella of the theme song (I tried dropping off from the top to see if it would play backwards real fast, instead I got to see Snake fall away from the camera... no watching him crunch on the floor? Meanie pants...)

There were a number of other things that made me find the game a bit silly (being able to break both your arms and fix them by pressing start, the Raiden-related injokes) but they were the main ones. They reminded me of when I was in my early-mid teens, wanted to make an RPG Maker game and had a load of ideas that I would now, frankly, find stupid. I'm not a huge fan of the Metal Gear series in general, but MGS1 and 2 had been a lot of fun for me so as I say, this game felt like total farce the entire time I was playing it.

Anyone else happen to think that Kojima was somewhat taking the Michael with MGS3?
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 05-12-2008 at 12:13 AM.