Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Banjo Kazooie video!

Blog Entries

Default New Banjo Kazooie video!

And here it is.

It looks to have a very different set-up when compared to earlier games. It's interesting that Mario's in there, though, and the DKC Trees.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

This looks pretty funky. I love Banjo Kazooie for the 64!

The fact that Rare is making it is a good sign. Also, I remember playing the original on the N64 and having fun. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

This looks vastly different from Banjo-Kazooie of old.

Basically seems like Microsoft said, ok take your banjo-kazooie and make it more mature but still light hearted. Big machines that shoot and blow stuff up seems like a pretty good way to do that. I don't suspect it'll be very similar to the previous games at all though, and therefore have no interest in it.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

The first two Banjo Kazooie games were basically Mario 64 with more filler and Rare has only gone downhill since then. I don't have very high hopes for this game.

Also, GameVideos has been being awful to me all day so I haven't seen the video, but from what I hear, the last part is a bunch of penis wagging. This kind of thing needs to stop. The industry is full of it these days and it's a load of crap.

I dont care if it sucks i love banjo and kazooie.

Ill be right there when it comes out
    "When you do things right, people won't notice you've done anything at all.""
    -God-

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I don't exactly like how it looks. It looks like they're trying to make it the next Ratchet and Clank or something, what with all of the mechanical stuff. It's nice that they're making another game in the series, because I loved the original game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    The first two Banjo Kazooie games were basically Mario 64 with more filler and Rare has only gone downhill since then. I don't have very high hopes for this game.
    I disagree. Rare was a brilliant developer for the N64 and the games they made after Banjo-Kazooie for that console (Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64) were brilliant. Downhill since they stopped making N64 games, yes; downhill from Banjo-Kazooie, no. I really found Banjo-Kazooie to be a more enjoyable a game that Mario 64.

As for the trailer itself, not sure what I make of it. Reminds me of Kingdom Hearts what with the making your own vehicle from the parts you've got. It looks really interesting; not at all what I expected from a Banjo game (which might be slightly disappointing), but it doesn't look like a disaster thus far.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I disagree. Rare was a brilliant developer for the N64 and the games they made after Banjo-Kazooie for that console (Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64) were brilliant. Downhill since they stopped making N64 games, yes; downhill from Banjo-Kazooie, no. I really found Banjo-Kazooie to be a more enjoyable a game that Mario 64.
    With the exception of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps. and Jet Force Gemini, Rare's N64 games were only fun if you enjoyed endless fetch questing. I thought it was bad in the first Banjo game, but somehow Rare actually decided to make it worse in all of the others.

Aside from their shooters and Blast Corps. in the N64 days I never thought much of Rare. Every game they made besides those seemed to try and do everything Nintendo did, but they never pulled it off very well in my opinion. They've definitely been going down hill for years if you ask me which is why I don't care about another Banjo game. I also agree with Roto about the end of the video.

I should have been more clear. I meant they've only gone downhill since the N64 days. Perfect Dark was their peak. As far as I'm concerned, the only games Rare made that were worth playing were Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    With the exception of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps. and Jet Force Gemini, Rare's N64 games were only fun if you enjoyed endless fetch questing.
    Exactly. Most Rare games were giant collect-a-thons. Each level with a thousand little things to wander around and pick up off the ground. It got old pretty fast.

The music in that video roughly sums up how I was expecting Black Mages III to sound :P

The first two Banjo Kazooie games were basically Mario 64 with more filler
    There's been over 9000 games mimicking Super Mario 64. Banjo Kazooie just happened to be one of those that didn't suck. Also in BK the camera actually stayed where you tried to put it, a department in which Mario 64 failed horribly. And since BOTH games were big fat collect-a-thons, I'll always remember that difference from BK's initial release: the fact you could actually play it without swearing about how you shouldn't have fallen down that hole from suddenly turning round with the camera when you least expected it.

Mario 64 wasn't a collect-a-thon. You collected stars and coins. That's it. BK threw jinjos, jiggy pieces, notes, eggs, feathers, crystal skulls (or something like that), honey combs, and lots of other garbage.

Mario 64 wasn't a collect-a-thon. You collected stars and coins. That's it. BK threw jinjos, jiggy pieces, notes, eggs, feathers, crystal skulls (or something like that), honey combs, and lots of other garbage.
    Those last ones were just power ups though. It's not like you had to collect every single one in the game. But you make a good point, that's one hell of a lot of extra crap to worry about. Presents, oranges, gold bars, golden crocodiles, acorns, worms... oh smeg I'm about to recant the entire game in a single paragraph :P

Nevertheless every game where the character had either lots of special moves or weapons required you to collect ammo or power sources. What about all the stuff you had to collect in every great FPS you had to play? And hey, this is a Final Fantasy fan community too: Final Fantasy might be the one of the biggest collect-a-thons of them all, what with all those potions, ethers, swords, spells, shields, Materia, helmets, summons, suits of armour, chocobo feed, accessories, money, Magicite, status recovery items, gambits, Key Items, bits of clothing for Cloud to dress in drag, spheres, Blitzball players...

Now that I think about it, I've seen very few games that don't amount to gargantuan collect-a-thons, and most of those were fighting games. Even then, Mortal Kombat managed to achieve that (scowls at Deception's Konquest Mode...)
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 05-13-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Final Fantasy doesn't have an annoying little counter that nags at you for the rest of your life if you miss a potion in a crate somewhere and can't find it. ;>_>

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Those last ones were just power ups though. It's not like you had to collect every single one in the game. But you make a good point, that's one hell of a lot of extra crap to worry about. Presents, oranges, gold bars, golden crocodiles, acorns, worms... oh smeg I'm about to recant the entire game in a single paragraph :P
    And even the Jinjos are just the BK equivalent of Mario's Red Coins anyway. There's a lot of stuff, but they're mainly power ups that you don't really have to go out of your way to collect as they're scattered around the level anyway. It's just the same as collecting magic bottles and hearts in Zelda, except there's different types. DK64 was more of a collect 'em up due to the ridiculous amount of banana collecting involved, I'll concede, but I won't concede that Mario 64 was a better game than BK.

But on the one hand, you could argue that Final Fantasy does nag you. What if you miss one piece of magicite in FFVI? Or a magic spell? Or the mime job class in FFV? You've got gaps there that'll annoy you anyway, which is no different from in BK.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.