Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: IGN's Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters - Day 1

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

The thing that bothers me about the list, is that it seems to aspire at being an icon more than a valid list, balancing between trying to calm the fans, picking characters that surprise people (just to not be predictable), and to actually pick good characters.

That being said, everyone's entitled to their opinion and I could agree with some of the rationale more, some less. My list would have looked different, but theirs had some entertainment value, at least to me.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by PeneloRatsbane View Post
    I dunno, i agree about Sephiroth,
    sure Kefka and Kuja are more metal and perphaps more evil but they weren't as, i dunno, spehiroth just has something
    He's bad but, he was good once, he did some messed up stuff and you feel his presence althro the game, i remember seeing that Serpant chiskababed and i thought "OHHHH he's been here!"
    Its the style, the sword, the fact that he was product of one of the skankiest 3 ways ever, and the fact that he murdered a main heroine and kicked off one hell of an adventure
    More metal? Did someone watch too much Metalocalypse? I wouldn't describe Kuja or Kefka as "Metal" xD

When it comes down to it, this is what Sephiroth really has going for him.

Cool sword, cool looks, well used screen time. The reason Square doesn't give him a lot of Screen time, is because he really doesn't have a personality, so you can't throw him out there too much. Most of the time, while replaying the game, I find he had a better personality when he was a Protagonist. Other that he'd just, "Blah blah blah"<- facts. "Blah blah blah"<- What he's going to do. It'd get kinda boring to read his dialogue.

Square didn't make the perfect villain, they did make the perfect character for fanboys. Hell even the game makes it clear your going to search the map all day for that two seconds of screen time, then go looking for him again.

Also, I don't get how anyone really thinks Aerith's death, is 'awesome'. She was a mediocre character, really, I found her pretty annoying. She mainly just got in the way of the Cloud-Tifa lovestory, and she died before she had a chance to prove herself as a good character.

Besides FFVGaluf's death scene=Epic. Aerith's fails in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    Yeah, and the odd thing is, when he does the 'girly brush thing', it seems less feminine and more sophisticated.

It doesn't seem to be often when a Final Fantasy villain is sophisticated and smart instead of consumed by blind rage.
    I fully endorse this statement.

Zemus, X-Death, Kefka, Sephiroth, and Ultimecia. All characters which are just pissed. Thats FF4-8! Kuja was the one to finally break that trend

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yes, yes, yes. I could not agree more.

IGN's list was nothing more than fanboy appeasement.

Cloud, Sephiroth, and a bajillion girls all with big breasts or scantially clad or just the crowd favorites. Yeah that alone made their list rubbish. I still much enjoyed Aeris on the list "Because she died!" "Any other reason?" "No she died! It was the first!" "What about the cast of FF II? Or FF IV? or FF V? or FF VI?" "Lawlz that isn't FF, only Cloud are FF"

Right IGN.....right. :rolleyes2
    This space intentionally left blank.

While I agree, the line in VV's description about Squall more then made up for that horrid, horrid list.

Though VV did deserve a place on the list, though not as high as 2.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Wasn't a fantastic list by any stretch of word; nice that they actually included some pre-FFVII characters in there, but some of them felt like token additions to appease the fans, but I gather that that's what the whole list was really. It was interesting, but not terribly surprising how it turned out in the end and my list would certainly be much different.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I'm not too surprised either. Frankly though, I'm surprised not to see someone as mundane as Fighter from FF1 as number 1, seeing as big lists of best games ever always having some simple, pseudo-intellectual, "nobody will complain because nobody will necessarily object" choice like the original Super Mario Bros. as number 1. Not that I'm saying owt bad about Super Mario Bros. like, but still.

What's ballsy is that they slapped Sephiroth on there and tried to justify the decision. I am 100% certain that you would be stoned to death for doing that anywhere in these parts.

Blog Entries

BWARGH THE LIST ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

there was a picture here

BURN HIM

BURN HIM!!!

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I call shenanigans!

One sign (other than the blatant sticking of Cloud and Sephiroth at the top) of lame fan-catering on that list is the lack of II and III characters, probably because IGN is well aware of the fact that not very many fanlings know/care about them.

While Desch from III isn't the coolest character by any stretch of the imagination, one could probably argue him into a 25-20 ranking if they tried. And what about Leon from II? You just don't SEE moral conflicts like that in games anymore! Nowadays (SPOILER)traitor-friends are always controlled by the "enemy's magic" or TEH DARKNESS wich CONTROLZ DER HEART!!11 :rolleyes2 Yes, Riku, I'm looking at you.

I'm not even that partial to V, but I can tell you that the exclusion of Galuf and Gilgamesh spells utter failure as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    This list doesn't perfectly match MY tastes and opinions regarding a bunch of characters from the Final Fantasy games...

Therefore it was written by complete idiots, how dare they, no taste, Cloud is overrated, bunch of fanboys, not enough old-school, etc etc.

I think I've just summarised every post that'll be made in this thread, so no-one else needs to bother now
    What he said.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.

I just love how they tried to justify Sephiroth being #1

One of the remarkable things about Sephiroth is how little time he actually spends on-screen. Throughout most of Final Fantasy VII, he's not so much an active element of the plot as a looming presence behind it. Perhaps that's why his scenes have remained so memorable – his rampage in Nibelheim, Aerith's final moments, and the climactic battle in the Northern Crater are moments that have stuck with thousands of fans over the years. He doesn't show up all that often, but when he does step out from the shadows, he definitely makes the most of his time at center stage.
    I didn't know that three scenes gets you best character ever. Huh...

This sounds like a better character:
    Great monster villains tap into primal, instinctive fears. Even before they open their mouths to cackle maniacally and order the doing of evil deeds, they can inspire fear and loathing merely by their very presence. Therein lies the appeal of Final Fantasy VI's Kefka, who sparks the in-grown terror of clowns that lurks in all of us.

Of course, he's got more than his freaky painted face to get him over as the ultimate bad guy – an apocalyptic plot gave him awesome evil deeds to do, while a fine English script gave him plenty of snappy lines – but his looks definitely got him off on the right villainous foot.
    Or this:
    Since there has to be at least one Cid here, it has to be the Final Fantasy VII edition, the hard-bitten, chain-smoking rocket engineer that gave his name to the game's famous airship.

While nearly every Final Fantasy adventure has had a Cid, and every Cid has been memorable in at least some small way, FFVII's Cid put himself on the map in a way that no other Cid has done since. Not content with sitting in the background the way some Cids have, FFVII's Highwind even managed to claim the title of party leader for a while, which is an honor that no other Cid has earned.
    But this? Being #13, and then explaining it was 'cause she's a whore?:
    Between the leap to 3D and the much heavier emphasis on detailed background graphics and cinematics, Final Fantasy VII was a turning point for the series in many ways. One change that's noted less often than some, though, is that this was the first attempt to give Final Fantasy characters real, erm, sex appeal. True, Tifa's 3D model looks awfully primitive ten years later, but it probably had an effect on a teenage audience at the time. To her credit, she also managed to look good while keeping her street credibility intact – Tifa's two-fisted attack clearly established her as a character who could take care of herself in a pinch.
    Also, from Selphie's:
    The eighth Final Fantasy is generally considered a game with a couple of problems. It's the tortured adolescent of the series, starring a cast so drowned in angst that they probably should have taken some time off from saving the world to go in for a round of group therapy.

There's a bright light here and there, though, and Selphie is one of them, a cheerful young lady with a giant pair of nunchucks who desperately attempts to turn the game's collective frown upside-down. She also wins points for sporting a classic flip hairdo, of the kind that hasn't been seen in America since late in the Eisenhower years.
    Sounds a little biased...
    Maybe next time IGN decides to rank Final Fantasy (or anything as a matter of fact,) they should get people to rank who know what the hell they are doing. Maybe people who have played every FF to an extent? Not just some here and there?

What I'm going to do now is rank Star Wars' 5 best characters. Keep in mind, I've never seen a Star War, or know who any of the characters are. These are just some names I know. I just want to see if IGN's list compares to mine.

5.Luke
    4.Anakin
    3.C3PO
    2.That gay midget robot that beeps.
    1.Chewy
    Last edited by Yar; 05-18-2008 at 04:08 AM.

Actually, most people will probably agree thats quite an accurate list.

is it only 5 days voting?
    PS3 owner, but not played RPG yet (teh) :sweatdrop