Thread: Nintendo and Microsoft sued for Remote Controllers. Nintendo lost the case.

Blog Entries

Default Nintendo and Microsoft sued for Controllers. Nintendo lost the case.

Article

LUFKIN, Texas - Nintendo of America Inc. was ordered to pay a small East Texas gaming company $21 million Wednesday for infringing on a patent while designing controllers for its popular Wii and GameCube systems.
    ADVERTISEMENT

A federal jury found in favor of Anascape Ltd. in the lawsuit that was originally filed in 2006. Nintendo spokesman Charlie Scibetta said the company will seek an appeal and expects the court to reduce the award "significantly."

The jury found that Nintendo infringed on Anascape's patent while designing its Wii Classic, WaveBird and Gamecube controllers.

Scibettra said Nintendo was pleased no infringement was found with the motion-sensing technology used in its wandlike Wii and Nuncheck controllers, which mimic movements by users in games such as tennis and boxing.

Attorneys for Anascape did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Tyler-based Anascape also sued Microsoft Corp. for patent infringements on game controllers but reached an agreement with the company before the start of the trial against Nintendo, The Lufkin Daily News reported.

Microsoft said in a statement that terms of the settlement reached May 1 were confidential.
    Phoenix Wright, we need you!

Edit: Correction: They weren't remote controllers, they were GCN controllers and the Classic Controller. That's more than just a bit shocking.
    Last edited by KentaRawr!; 05-15-2008 at 09:51 PM.

anyway to make a quick buck right?

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Blog Entries

I find it terribly odd that they're suing now of all times. Why didn't they sue around 6 or 7 years ago? What about the GCN controllers did they notice now, and not in the earlier half of this decade?

They probably held out until now due to the Wii's status, lawfully. Nintendo has already been involved in another Lawsuit involving its controller. The situation just gives them a better chance of winning.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Objection!

I heard that someone patented minigames on loading screens, so now we can't have them

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Why sue when you first find out, when you can sue 7 years later and get money based on the amount of controllers manufactured?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Why sue when you first find out, when you can sue 7 years later and get money based on the amount of controllers manufactured?
    That's a good point.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

Does anybody know what the devices Anascape patented look like? I'm about ready to say that this is another frivolous lawsuit for monetary gain.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

lame :\

They have ENOUGH money.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ Yeah $21 mil doesn't seem like alot for Nintendo to pay.