Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Kuja such a noob?

^He was smart. He was just really unlucky. There's no good having all the intelligence in the world when you're just gonna die really soon. Once he realised he would die soon, there was no smart option left. I guess he could have tried finding a cure, but that probably would have been fail anyway. So going into a blind rage wasnt exactly stupid, because he had no realistic option that would have been better.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxas View Post
    This isn't quite right either. Near the end Kuja was completely blinded by rage. That is the only reason he was able to enter trance at all. The only time people enter trance in FF9 is when protecting someone or very angry. Kuja was NOT protecting anyone. He attempted to blow up the world just because he doesn't want to face his own mortality. How would it help him at all? Certainly rage and not intelligence.

Also how could he have not known before Garland told him he was mortal. It should have been obvious to anyone with a clue. He killed countless other genomes proving they weren't immortal and knew Zidane wasn't either and Zidane was stronger according to Garland. Lets not forget either that his ultimate death trap in his own fortress was stopped by a pathetic frog. Sure the frog at one point was human but his mind was falling apart and with all the power Kuja had he would have to be stupid to let it happen. Kuja also let Garland play him like a fiddle for most of the story line.

Kuja was still a good villain in my opinion but he certainly wasn't smart and he gave in to rage just like everyone else. Certainly alot better then whatever the thing at the end was.
    Its not just 'when your angry or protecting someone'. You enter trance after a huge surge of emotion of any kind. Kuja couldn't do this in the begin of the game, because he was a cool, calm, calculating character. He knew he had to kill Garland, to be able to have his freedom. That was what he was searching for the entire game, a power to overthrow Garland, at first, he thought Eilodons would be the answer, but once he saw that even Mog, after thrown into trance, could become super powerful, it was obvious trance was what he needed.

So, thats why he went to Terra. He needed to get into where the souls of the dead where kept (remember, Garland was blocking the Cycle of Souls). He threw himself into Brahne's hateful, evil soul, and was able to get a surge of anger to push himself into trance, and thus, overthrow Garland.

ALL of that was smart and calculated. After that you'd notice an immediate character change, because Kuja, was no longer himself. By absorbing Brahne's soul, he absorbed her Hot-Headed and foolishness, therefore, when he discovered his mortality, he did something very un-Kuja like. He flipped! Why? Not because Kuja is easily taken by Rage, but because Brahne is.

^Woah?

Ive never heard of that interpretation. I always assumed he flipped because he suddenly realised that his calculated master plan could never work.

Interesting. Very interesting.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I always thought he got trance cause you kicked him in.. x.x

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxxas View Post
    This isn't quite right either. Near the end Kuja was completely blinded by rage. That is the only reason he was able to enter trance at all. The only time people enter trance in FF9 is when protecting someone or very angry. Kuja was NOT protecting anyone. He attempted to blow up the world just because he doesn't want to face his own mortality. How would it help him at all? Certainly rage and not intelligence.

Also how could he have not known before Garland told him he was mortal. It should have been obvious to anyone with a clue. He killed countless other genomes proving they weren't immortal and knew Zidane wasn't either and Zidane was stronger according to Garland. Lets not forget either that his ultimate death trap in his own fortress was stopped by a pathetic frog. Sure the frog at one point was human but his mind was falling apart and with all the power Kuja had he would have to be stupid to let it happen. Kuja also let Garland play him like a fiddle for most of the story line.

Kuja was still a good villain in my opinion but he certainly wasn't smart and he gave in to rage just like everyone else. Certainly alot better then whatever the thing at the end was.
    Its not just 'when your angry or protecting someone'. You enter trance after a huge surge of emotion of any kind. Kuja couldn't do this in the begin of the game, because he was a cool, calm, calculating character. He knew he had to kill Garland, to be able to have his freedom. That was what he was searching for the entire game, a power to overthrow Garland, at first, he thought Eilodons would be the answer, but once he saw that even Mog, after thrown into trance, could become super powerful, it was obvious trance was what he needed.

So, thats why he went to Terra. He needed to get into where the souls of the dead where kept (remember, Garland was blocking the Cycle of Souls). He threw himself into Brahne's hateful, evil soul, and was able to get a surge of anger to push himself into trance, and thus, overthrow Garland.

ALL of that was smart and calculated. After that you'd notice an immediate character change, because Kuja, was no longer himself. By absorbing Brahne's soul, he absorbed her Hot-Headed and foolishness, therefore, when he discovered his mortality, he did something very un-Kuja like. He flipped! Why? Not because Kuja is easily taken by Rage, but because Brahne is.
    I couldn't have explained it better myself. Nice one.

Dammit. For someone who is obsessed with FFIX, I sure dont know a lot of facts. Anything else I should know about Kuja before I jump off a cliff in disgrace due to my ignorance?

EDIT: Weren't there a ton of souls. Why did Brahne's one reign supreme then?

clicky clicky clicky

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    Dammit. For someone who is obsessed with FFIX, I sure dont know a lot of facts. Anything else I should know about Kuja before I jump off a cliff in disgrace due to my ignorance?

Perhaps it was because she possessed a rage and anger streak as wide as she was?

Kuja absorbed many souls, not just Brahne's. He entered Trance because he was pissed after the heros defeated him. And he had an anger tantrum because Garland told him he was going to die.

Kuja wasn't perfect. And he wasn't cold, calm and colected everytime... Just look at his little tantrum with Zorn and Thorn in the Hilda Gard.

It's easy to say "he wasn't himself" when he did something stupid, just to make him look perfect. But he isn't.
    Last edited by The Crystal; 05-19-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Question: Do you know why Kefka succeeded in destroying the planet?

Answer: Because the planet didn't fight back.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There where many souls, but, Kuja specifically mentions Brahne.

When it fought Bahamut at the Iifa Tree, the Invincible drew
    in a powerful spirit... Can you guess to whom it belonged?

Dagger: No...

Kuja: That's right! It was your mother's soul. A wretched soul that
    clung to life to the bitter end.
    That shouts significance to me.

Next, The Crystal, he he didn't "enter trance because he was angry he lost to the party." The game makes it clear it was a plan.

Kuja: It's Trance! You know how it works. But a normal Trance won't be enough to defeat you... You're all as resilient as oglops. Even tiny moogles possess the power of Trance... When I saw that in Gulug Volcano, I came up with a plan. It was easy. I just needed to borrow the power from wretched souls that can't die... Where did I acquire it? It was the Invincible, or should I say, that large eyeball in the sky? The ship sucked up the souls of Madain Sari, the Iifa Tree, Alexandria, to feed upon them...

So he ate peoples souls!? Kuja is Quinas brother!?

There where many souls, but, Kuja specifically mentions Brahne.

When it fought Bahamut at the Iifa Tree, the Invincible drew
    in a powerful spirit... Can you guess to whom it belonged?

Dagger: No...

Kuja: That's right! It was your mother's soul. A wretched soul that
    clung to life to the bitter end.
    That shouts significance to me.
    The first sentence in your quote was the continuation of another one:

Kuja: The ship sucked up the souls of Madain Sari, the Iifa Tree, Alexandria, to feed upon them...

Kuja: When it fought Bahamut at the Iifa Tree, the Invincible drew in a powerful spirit... Can you guess to whom it belonged?
    He was just telling the party everything the Invincible did, and that Brahne's soul was stronger than the others. But we don't have any evidence he was being influenced by Brahne, on Terra.

And:

Kuja: The souls trapped inside the Invincible welcomed me with open arms.

Kuja: They were fed up with being your prisoners, Garland.

Kuja: So, Master Garland. You are no longer needed. And after you've worked so hard...
    The souls(plural), not only Brahne. And his anger tantrum on Terra wasn't the first one he had during his life. It's not out-of-character for him to do that.

What you stated is just a theory. An excuse to justify his stupidity at the end of the game.

All FF villains have a moment(or many moments) of stupididty where they commits a mistake. Why the "perfect" Kuja can't have one?

Next, The Crystal, he he didn't "enter trance because he was angry he lost to the party." The game makes it clear it was a plan.

Kuja: It's Trance! You know how it works. But a normal Trance won't be enough to defeat you... You're all as resilient as oglops. Even tiny moogles possess the power of Trance... When I saw that in Gulug Volcano, I came up with a plan. It was easy. I just needed to borrow the power from wretched souls that can't die... Where did I acquire it? It was the Invincible, or should I say, that large eyeball in the sky? The ship sucked up the souls of Madain Sari, the Iifa Tree, Alexandria, to feed upon them...
    Yes you are right. But his plan involved a fight with the party. He needed it, to achieve Trance.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You didn't include, "He lost to the party as part of his plan." Your first statement was far more inclined to try and poke fun at Kuja.

As for having many temper tantrums, I had never seen them, I've seen him get annoyed threw the game, but I've never seen him really get pissed, and Kuja made it clear that Brahne's soul was a powerful one, with the quote I've already provided. I didn't make a theory, as I never really made up actions or events that happened, I made an interpretation of ingame story events and dialogue. There's a difference.

Anyway, for the most part, I think I've said my part, except this: You often provide your ideas/whatever whenever Sephiroth is badmouthed in a thread, don't act as if I cannot do the same. Thanks, bye.

Anyway, I dont think Kuja was stupid at the end of the game. As I said before, what would have been the not-stupid thing to do?

Despite being the most powerful person in the whole world he effectively had no options at that point in time. Thats bound to piss somebody off.

clicky clicky clicky

You didn't include, "He lost to the party as part of his plan." Your first statement was far more inclined to try and poke fun at Kuja.

As for having many temper tantrums, I had never seen them, I've seen him get annoyed threw the game, but I've never seen him really get pissed, and Kuja made it clear that Brahne's soul was a powerful one, with the quote I've already provided. I didn't make a theory, as I never really made up actions or events that happened, I made an interpretation of ingame story events and dialogue. There's a difference.

Anyway, for the most part, I think I've said my part, except this: You often provide your ideas/whatever whenever Sephiroth is badmouthed in a thread, don't act as if I cannot do the same. Thanks, bye.
    My intention was never poke fun at Kuja. He is a great villain, one of the best(if not the best) of FF. But I accept the way he is, I know he is not perfect.

The problem is... You discarded all of Kuja's character(his other tantrum and pissed off moments) and all the good reasons that made him have that anger tantrum(the fact he worked his entire life for that moment, only to discover that everything he did was useless, because he was going to die anyway), just to give support to your crazy theory.
    Yes, a theory. You made up actions or events that happened, by stating that Brahne was influencing him. Something never stated or hinted during the story.

And I use facts and evidences when talking about Sephiroth, not crazy theories. For example, I know that he lost to Cloud because of his stupidity(arrogance). I don't try to make excuses for his defeat, to make him look good.
    I accept the characters the way they are, and you should do the same.

Anyway, I dont think Kuja was stupid at the end of the game. As I said before, what would have been the not-stupid thing to do?

Despite being the most powerful person in the whole world he effectively had no options at that point in time. Thats bound to piss somebody off.
    He was in front of the Original Crystal, the source of everything in the universe. He could have tried to use it's power to stop his dead, instead of destroying it. But no, he didn't even try.
    That's the only moment in the story where Kuja was stupid IMO.
    Last edited by The Crystal; 05-19-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    The problem is... You discarded all of Kuja's character(his other tantrum and pissed off moments) and all the good reasons that made him have that anger tantrum(the fact he worked his entire life for that moment, only to discover that everything he did was useless, because he was going to die anyway), just to give support to your crazy theory.
    Yes, a theory. You made up actions or events that happened, by stating that Brahne was influencing him. Something never stated or hinted during the story.
    The "other tantrums" you mention, even though I don't remember any of significance other than his Trance, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, composed only a small part of his character. Every other moment we see Kuja he's always confident, collected, and calm, even during stressful situations such as the battles at Alexandria and the Iifa Tree. His last moments were nearly, if not the only times we see Kuja express such strong emotions like anger.

Kuja's actions at the end of the game are understandable. For the entire duration of his life he assumed he was immortal, and he devised a somewhat elaborate plan to overthrow Garland. It eventually worked, and he gained immense power through Trance. But at the moment of Kuja's greatest victory, Garland tells him that he is indeed a mortal. His burst of rage after he realized that all of his accomplishments would soon be worthless is perfectly understandable. Kuja didn't have any realistic options left to him at that point, so he chose destruction. It's not exactly honorable, but it's understandable considering his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    He was in front of the Original Crystal, the source of everything in the universe. He could have tried to use it's power to stop his dead, instead of destroying it. But no, he didn't even try.
    That's the only moment in the story where Kuja was stupid IMO.
    What was Kuja supposed to do there? Give the crystal a great big hug and hope it would grant him immortality? Not likely.

Brahne didn't influence Kuja's actions. He mentioned that she had a particularly strong and wretched soul, and I'm sure it enhanced his Trance more than regular souls, but I doubt it had any influence over his actions. He had control over his Trance, Brahne's soul just enhanced its strength.