Thread: Light literature... more especific... Nicholas Spark

Blog Entries

Default Light literature... more especific... Nicholas Spark

So last December I recieved a book from Nicholas Spark "The Notebook" for Christmas! My cousin said it was one of her favourite writers, I confess I was kinda scared because it wasn't in english but in portuguese (which is even worse because the translation might be terrible).

So once I got a terrible insomnia and I decided to read it to see if I could sleep... but as I started I got more and more shocked to know it was a 'best seller' and that he had a huge sucess with it! It was the worse book I ever read (an no I am not overreacting) the way he describes things like 'she shaved her legs'... why the hell do I need to know that! That's something the reader should understand or not! Also for 3 pages he describes the two main character having sex! -.-" I mean the reader from a kiss should realise if they had sex or not, not read three pages with details!

Now I felt quite bad because here lots of people enjoy it and once I started to speak about it with a girl from my degree and she said she also hated it because his books were "little soap operas".

Honestly i can't understand how people can actually enjoy a book with more than 100 pages with 0 literary value! I would really like to understand why people nowadays read this type of trash! And also to know if I am the only one that hates Nicholas Spark!

Who the hell is he?

Did that make you feel better, knowing that I dont have a clue who he is?

Anyway, I hate that .

EDIT: Maybe its unfair to judge. I havent read it...
    Last edited by Vivisteiner; 05-19-2008 at 06:00 PM.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

the movie was really good I haven't read the book. I think it's popularity is due to the ending though

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, lots of people hate Spark.

I haven't read the book (saw the movie, though). But I read an analogy once that was pretty good (though it was regarding low-quality movies).

Books like this are like junk food. 0 nutritional value, all empty calories, but if you're in the right mood, it can taste pretty good.

I mean, it's a fairly weak justification for spending money on crap, but it at least offers some explanation.