Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future PS3 owner with a question

Default Future PS3 owner with a question

Hopefully a new Final Fantasy game will be announced for the PS3. I plan on buying one this summer before the game is announced so I have a chance of buying one. Going to the store I noticed there are only ones for $400. My question is, can you still play PS2 and PS1 games on the mid-priced PS3 console? I have lots of games for each, especially the other final fantasies and don't wanna have to buy it and find out I cannot use my other games on it.

PS- I remember when the PS3 came out, there was a $600 one that guaranteed you of being able to play your older games, not sure if that one was short-lived one or not.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Wrong board, but no, the current $400 model does not play anything but PS3 games.

Next month when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out they will be bringing back the 80GB PS3 which does have a good deal of backwards compatibility. I don't know if they'll be releasing that PS3 on its own or if it's just in bundles with MGS4 though.

Also, FF13 has been 'announced' for some time. I think you'll be waiting a while for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by MedctnStn View Post
    Hopefully a new Final Fantasy game will be announced for the PS3.
    Lol, they already have announce Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII as PS3 exclusives.

Have you been living under a rock or something.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only good thing on Ps3 is still GTA4, and thats out for my 360 too.. so I'll wait until the FF7 remake to buy that moneysurper.

^Well Little Big Planet, MGS4, Resistance 2 are coming. There are some good games on there anyway.

And no, an FFVII remake isnt going to happen in a long time. Minimum of 5 years.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moved to gen gaming ftw

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Wrong board, but no, the current $400 model does not play anything but PS3 games.

Next month when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out they will be bringing back the 80GB PS3 which does have a good deal of backwards compatibility. I don't know if they'll be releasing that PS3 on its own or if it's just in bundles with MGS4 though.

Also, FF13 has been 'announced' for some time. I think you'll be waiting a while for it though.
    There's already an 80 gig model available and, as far as I know, it's fully backwards compatible. :P

Blog Entries

It was discontinued.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    There's already an 80 gig model available and, as far as I know, it's fully backwards compatible. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentarou View Post
    It was discontinued.
    This. There may be some still lying around in places, but it's been discontinued just like the 60's and the 20's. The 80 is the one that had the software emulation, which while not quite 'fully compatible' it at least played most games. *This* is the one that works the best. Note the prices--it's pretty rare these days. This is the 80 GB that doesn't work as well as the 60 when it comes to PS1/2 games, but it does work. Note the prices on that one too.

Also, ignore the 'there's no good games on PS3' thing. While true that a good deal of the good games can be found on the 360, it doesn't matter if you don't have a 360. There are already a few good exclusives and another monster coming out in less than a month.

Besides, he only seems to be interested in FF, which isn't coming for a while. Squenix is gonna be at E3 in July, so I think we should expect some kind of progress report from there. Unless they announce a 'simultaneous international release' for it, I imagine we will still be waiting for quite some time after the game finds its way out in Japan.

Wikipedia and Best Buy are lying to me, then.

What people dont realise is that there are still 20GB models out there if you look hard enough, believe it or not. There by far the cheapest version plus have backwards compatability that is not done through emulation. You just have to look real hard for them.

You couldn't sell me a 20 gig PS3 for $50. Not with games like Haze and Devil May Cry requiring installs to play. Haze is 4 gigs or something and I don't know how big DMC is. A couple more games like that and 20 gig owners are screwed unless they go out and buy another hard drive.

Blog Entries

Gamestop actually sells 20Gigs for more than 40Gigs due to rarity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

You could sell *me* a 20 GB PS3 for $50. Then I could spend less than $100 to get a 120GB harddrive and replace the old junk. Warranty be damned.

But yeah, as has been mentioned, the 20s, 60s and 80s in the USA are currently discontinued. This means Sony USA doesn't make them anymore. Whatever is left out there, in the USA, is leftover stock from when they still made PS3s. Once they are gone, they are not being replenished. So yeah, you can still find one 'if you look hard enough', but I think if you can't find one you should wait until June. Even if you don't care a lick about MGS4, you're getting the 80GB PS3 with "some backwards compatibility", a Dualshock 3 controller that no PS3s come with currently (not to mention a DS3 is $5 more than the also discontinued SIXAXIS), and a copy of MGS4 for $500. $500 is the normal retail price for the 80GB system.

Roto, your 'Bestbuy.ca' showing the 80GB is the MGS bundle.
    Last edited by JKTrix; 05-20-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    You could sell *me* a 20 GB PS3 for $50. Then I could spend less than $100 to get a 120GB harddrive and replace the old junk. Warranty be damned.
    Way to cavil. :P

Also, Best Buy, Amazon, whatever.