1 12.50%
  • I think it can kill or not a banner

3 37.50%
  • Meh as long as everything looks good in the end

4 50.00%

Thread: Text on banners

Blog Entries

Default Text on banners

So today I was at FFI and I was rating a girl's sig, she also make banners and I rated her sig 8 because well the normal boring stuff and I was like 'Also where is text?O_o' So she rep me and said that text is not important on a sig. And I rep her syaing that text was the most important thing on a sig after the main image because it can kill a sig (if it's a very worked font with an off sentence) or it can glorify (when it's placed correct and with a certain meaning). And she pmed me saying she did not agree and
    Text is NOT the main part of it besides the picture, and if that's what you think, you have a lot to learn
    Now I am not a designer I am taking a literature degree and therefore I see text in a different way!^^

And I also would like to have your opinions!
    Thanks

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Heh, do you need to ask me? *glances at his signature thread* hmm... yes it does look like I do think banners need text.

Seriously....

Text can either make or break a signature. Text isn't always necessary, but in many cases well done text can greatly enhance an image's feel.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

The right text can make or break a sig/banner. But there's something to be said for the minimalist approach too. The right picture(s) editted in the right way, and having just the right part cropped/showing. That can have an impact on its own. Text is usually just icing for me. If its good icing, it can make it better. If its bad icing, it can make the whole thing crash. But some cakes don't necissarily need icing (I guess)

Blog Entries

Text isn't everything.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some sigs would be ruined with text. like this

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Some sigs would be ruined with text. like this
    True but most banners will have an ugly nasty empty space

I think it depends on the content of the banner, myself.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Like people said, text can make or break a sig. I personally do not think sigs require text but if you put in text make sure you do it right or you might ruin the sig or whatever you are doing. I have seen myself flip through my whole font list looking for the right font and spending a good half hour or so trying to get just a few words to look right, between adjusting colours, adding effects, adjusting opacity, changing the overlays, etc...

That is not including the thought that goes into words itself.

What makes a sig it's the image, actually.

But text can be an image, too.

Art it's just a reflection of what the artist feels, it is too with sigs.

You can make a sig made with only text, or with only images. What makes the banner it's what the maker wants with it, nothing more.

It's the same with poetry. Poetry is commonly seen as made with only text, but it can be made only with images.

It's just perspective. But who cares about my opinion? No-one hears me anyways .