Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: A little declaration of war

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

EDIT: skip all the rest unless you're terrifically bored(or want some of my home-made cookies) in summary, eoff rocks. always has, always will. i'm not worried about it's state of affairs. cause i know the greatest, funniest group of people that i know are here, and nothing can change that.

Magic, it's all about the magic. eyesonff is the best fora around-that's a given. eyesonff will always be the best. But it can be the best, and still not be THE BEST, you know what i mean. november of 2000, i showed up totally at random, just rummaging through final fantasy sites. i've never been much of a computer/internet person(considering i've never had a bloody computer...well one, but only for a short while because it went fliget, but anyway) and i didn't even really know about the fora that existed, splattered across the web's landscape. i didn't know that there were sites in which final fantasy fans got together to share their mutual interests with one another, and to get to know one another. wow! what a great idea. i've never met ANYONE in real life who had interests like mine, but here are hundreds of people JUST LIKE ME! wow. i entered these fora completely dazed at what i had found. not only are they final fantasy fans, but they like other things that i do too! and they're funny, and witty, and interesting! what luck! i'm a complete and utter loser, with no rl friends, and a complete lack of social grace, but here are kids just like me to be friends with, who won't judge me, but accept me for who i am. i can let go of all the oppressions and suppresions that have held me back in life and be completely free. free to say what i want, when i want. free to be goofy, to let the goofiness that exists in me out, and to share it with other people, who will share their goofiness with me. shared passions, shared loves, shared zaniness, wackiness, shared craziness, shared looniness. a wild free-for-all governed by mutual consent. spam was as frequent as every other post, and yet, and yet...it went unchecked. and why? because we were anarchal deviants? no, because it didn't bother anyone! spam ran rampant because that's what everyone wanted to see. when you came to eoff, you EXPECTED spam. you knew it would be there, and you cherished your part in it. post counts....ahhhh....how fulfilling, eh? weren't they so bloody fulfilling. you spend a long day typing your fingers off....and are awarded by the glaring post count under your name, declaring you king of posting. what a thrill. and the competition! it wasn't spoken as such, but you could feel it, the tension of the post count. what's so wrong with competition? even if it DID promote spam. what's so bloody wrong with spam, anyway? it is, ummm, fun, and ummm, liberating, and ummmm it allows inclusion of oldby and newbie alike. not everyone can be serious, but everyone, if they'd allow themselves, can be funny, can be zany. i think it's very silly to say that "things change" and to leave it at that. why does it have to change? only b/c we let it change. nothing has to change that we don't want to change. most of us, however, unlike bleys, are too lazy to do anything about it. it's easy enough to continue this rote repetition of bland ideas.

i mean, i love eoff, as it is now. i love the deep philosophical discussions and religeous debates. there's a place in eoff for that. but it just doesn't seem right to have a discussion about the afterlife sitting beside a funny thread about kishi's collection of life-sized barby dolls in school-girl uniforms or something. i think the fora have become too, ummm, littered. i mean, i know we have all these seperate fora for different things, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. you go to eoeo to look for a fun thread and have to wade through discussions about the trinity to find something fun. conversely, it wouldn't be right to go to eoeo looking for a serious discussion and have to check on every goofy thread to find the one serious one. i just think seriousness, and goofiness(while both are needed) need to be separated. we can't exlude either one. but we can't have both directly together, and keep up the old fire, while at the same time, continuing to adapt to the changing climate of eoff. am i being clear enough? probably not. this is probably all coming off as just rambling.

anyway, another problem that i feel exists is that there's no real opportunity to REALLY get to know anyone anymore. yeah, sure, chat and messangers, but that's too exclusive. eoff seemed to bring people together so easily before, with no effort. but now, it seems like a tremendous intangible wall is required to box us all together, otherwise we'd all just drift away. and regardless of what some may think, eoff is not just a "city" a township of people who congregate together randomly. we are a freaking family. disfunctional maybe, but we're still a family. we're brought here by a common gene, our love of final fantasy, which binds us together initially. i guess we could be just a conglomeration of peoples, randomly flitting in and out of each others' realities, but i want more than that. i WANT to be a family again. screw you party-poopers who aren't sentimental, and you pessimists who think it's "unhealthy" to become too attatched to an online fora. that's b.s. how's it unhealthy if it makes you happy. that's what the world today is all about, eh, your individual happiness. if i'm happy and you're happy and she's happy and he's happy, then who cares about rules and regulations. if someone is being overly offensive, then, yes, of course we still need discipline, people to stop offensive people from bothering everyone, but let the people be the judge of what bothers them. is this a democracy or what? if EVERYBODY wants to have a little fun again, then why can't we have fun? i don't see what's holding us back from having fun. why hold within what you came here to express in the first place. if we get kicked, banned, deleted or whatever then so what, it's not worth it anyway. and eventually somebody'd get a clue and realize that if there's noone left to rule then there's no point in ruling.

now, don't get me wrong, i love unne and britt and all the seriousness and rigidity that they bring to eoff. i think eoff needs that, and them. but that shouldn't stifle the fun of bleys & co. why can't we have both...fun & seriousness. there's room for both in this world.

i understand that there are problems with the number of members we have now, and the rate at which they join. but maybe that can be fixed. it really needs to be fixed either way. what happened to the idea of some sort of screening process to eliminate all of the one post type of people, why not create a "floating membership," a trial membership that people can use to join eoff without actually joining eoff. that way you could eliminate the casuals and draw out the people who really want to be a part of this, and have something to offer. maybe floaters wouldn't be able to do as much as full-fledged members, maybe the first level of membership, they'd only be able to read posts, then if they really want to post, they could become second level members, and so on and so forth. yeah, the idea sucks, but you peeps should be able to come up with SOMETHING.

Ah freak-nasty. what i'm trying to say is that i want both. i want what bleys wants. and yet i want what britt and unne were trying to bring to eoff. there has to be SOME way to compromise. and i'm too tired to think up a middle ground. but there has to be one. the magic of the old AND the magic of the new. it has to be there somewhere. hopefully you can find it bleys. hopefully. either way, i'm a lifer.

*cookies*
    *oh, and milk too*
    Last edited by chionos; 11-28-2001 at 06:33 PM.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

*takes a cookie*

choinos: for the first, main paragraph:

I think the admins had to ban some people for being too spammy due to post counts(that's even happened at FFWA). I don't really care if the newbs get titles or not for post counts, but only if they do not go overboard. I think, originally, that a lot of spammers did go a bit overboard, which was why it was taken away. Who would you rather have on the boards: a lot of people that post on the boards only to communicate with each other, or only a few of those and a lot of spammers in between? I'd rather have the first, which was the decision the admins made.
    I would not mind the re-installment of the titles, although I would wholeheartedly agree to take them away again if the spammers started messing up the experience for the rest of us.

About your "littered" paragraph:

That is fully the fault of the members, and their own perspectives. Some people post serious discusions in GC, and some post fun threads in EoEO. It's the same way for everyboard, though way back-when it was only small-scale for us.

Also, about your membership paragraph: Do 1-post members really hurt the boards? Who really cares? Unless an overboard in registered members actually has the potential to damage the board, I don't see why we have to do anything about it. I am adamantly against screening members, and I think a trial membership would be too much of a bother.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

basically my biggest problem, with all the members, and the confused splattering of threads, is that it confuses the HELL outta me. especially since i only come around every few weeks at best. i'm gone for two weeks, and come back, and there's 50 new people who've shown up and made a name for themselves. i'm kind of an absent minded person so it just screws with my trying to remember who i know and who i don't. really, like i said, i love eoff. i always have and always will. even if there's only one person left(which will never happen) i'll still be here too. nothing going on right now really bothers me, except the fact that i don't get to come around very often, which is really my own fault. there IS magic that existed once that i don't think exists any more, at least for myself, but i realise that it's mainly a case of nostalgia.

and plus, as i've stated before, i like to play the devil's advocate. bleys is fighting a war as the underdog, so i just argue from his side just for the hell of it. it'd be hella easy to just say, "Asorie's right, shut the hell up Bleys," and be done with it. if my post lacked rationality it's probably because there wasn't too much of my heart actually in it to give it poignance.

BUT, i DO think that there are some things around here that can be fixed. i'm not talking about a major over-haul or anything, just little things here and there. and i know that those things will probably get taken care of, b/c eoff has a kick-azz staff that i love and respect and trust. so just ignore me. oh and raistlin, you're some kind of GOD for reading that whole post. i thought i could keep all my cookies to myself. go figure. should have know you'd be the one to read it all, and actually debate it.

I think EoFF is going through a good change.

It's not about the amount of members we have, or the amount of newbies. It's about THE PEOPLE. Us, we, ourselves, we're all one big family. We're no haters. Let's accept everyone, let's accept the changes.