Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Info on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon Japanese first week sales

Thanks for the posts, I'll reply to each one...

ljkkjlcm9 - Why not buy a Playstation 3? What upcoming rpg's are you getting?

Roto13 - Cool! I thought it was an error in Vgchartz.com, but now I see that it's a real game.

Sagensyg - I used to play the Pokemon trading cards game(actual cards not video game), it was great! I also played the Dragon Ball Z trading card game from the late 90's, it ruled also! I didn't play a ton though.

JKTrix - Thanks for the pic! Kingdom Hearts 2 sold more than Final Fantasy XII did, atleast in it's first week, but I think overall also, in the United States. I don't remember the Kingdom Hearts 1 sales vs the sales of Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XI(PC), or Final Fantasy X-2. I may check on vgchartz.com later though.

PuPu - Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ would sell good in the west I think, I don't remember the Japanese numbers right now. But on the other hand, the Japanese sales figures for Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System were under 100k in the first week, so that is unlikely to get ported to Usa, and now it's shown that it won't happen, we'll just have to wait like 15 years for a handheld remake of Final Fantasy XII, this time with the updates. I'm nostalgic for Final Fantasy XII. Even with it's flaws, it's still a 9/10 game and it had the best battle system of any rpg I know of(even though it didn't give you enough experience and money after battles).
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    Darn it, I really want FM+.
    Here I am.
    Figaro Castle

About FFIX vs FFVII. Although FFIX sold more in its first week, overall FFVII sold much more copies (almost 4 million). That was because it was the first game on the PS1, it had a ton of hype and a huge advertising campaign.

FFIX on the other hand was advertised much less heavily. It was also the last on the PS1, so people were looking towards the PS2. Finally, a lot of fans were shallow and didnt want to play it due to the change of scene from modern to medieval. Also because of the character designs.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Dragon Quest surprisingly sells a lot than I thought.

Akira friggin' Toriyama....
    Yes, I drew all of these in under 10 minutes each

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post
    Thanks for the posts, I'll reply to each one...

ljkkjlcm9 - Why not buy a Playstation 3? What upcoming rpg's are you getting?
    Simply, it's not worth all that money for the system IMO, just to play like 1 or 2 games that I know I'll want. I never owned a PS2, and never played many of the RPGs on it.

As for RPG's I shall be getting... Summon Knight: Twin Age, FFIV DS, FFTA2, Tales of Symphonia 2, Megaman Starforce 2...

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Quote Originally Posted by leilei View Post
    Dragon Quest surprisingly sells a lot than I thought.

Yeah. Dragon Quest prints money in Japan for some reason.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by leilei View Post
    FF as a franchise has only sold more than DQ as a franchise simply because there are far more FF games.

Pokémon still dominates them both, though. If you add DQ and FF's sales together, I'm sure you still wouldn't match it. Friggin' Pokémon.

I haven't played much of Dragon Quest besides the first one. Does the gameplay change much between the games, or does it stay to a similar style?

ljkkjlcm9, I'm curious about Megaman Starforce 2, what can you tell me about it?

I haven't played Pokemon for a while, but I would like to rent Pokemon Diamond or Pearl. Is it similar to some of the other ones? How many Pokemon are there now?
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008