Thread: for the FFIV geniuses

Default for the FFIV geniuses

i have an edge question for the masters of FFIV. What can i do to increase the success rate of Edge's steal? i'm guessed it's either his level or his agility stat. if it's stat related, is there a set of equipment that will optimize his agil stats???

Pin doesn't officially work, but it seems to work when I play.

I usually don't bother with Edge stealing. The items he steals are common drops anyway. :/

Edge's Steal is more of a novelty ability, much like his Ninjutsu, he has better options at his disposal.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    Edge's Steal is more of a novelty ability, much like his Ninjutsu, he has better options at his disposal.
    Like "parry?"

Like Throw and Fight. Duh.
    This space intentionally left blank.

I don't know about Fight and Throw. Edge is more often than not taking a dirt nap while the others are kicking asses left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    he has better options at his disposal.
    Edge was such a worthless whiner to maintain I'd just have the disposal to be the only option at my disposal. Friggin useless experience leech.
    Yes, I drew all of these in under 10 minutes each

Steal isn't worthless. It's quite good for stocking up on unpurchasable/expensive items like X-Potions and Elixirs. It's also a decent way to stock up on arrows if you find going to shops to buy them all the time too time and money consuming.

As for increasing Steal's success rate levelling up is probably the only way to increase your chances of successfully stealing.

I always use a lot of steal in the games, but in FFIV i don't remember stealing good items... so i never tried to make Edge stealing success rate better...
    Anyway, agility should increase this rate...
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

I did some googling for "what affects the success of steal final fantasy IV":
    GameSpot Forums - Final Fantasy IV Advance - Stealing Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Terence

The coding on what they *want* to happen in FF4A is pretty straightforward:

* If Target's Level is Greater or Equal to Stealer's Level, then the chance is 5/100.

* If Target's Level is Lower than Stealer's Level, then the chance is 4/100 per level greater than the Target up to a maximum of 95/100.

Unfortunately, ...
    the random number it picks is a number from 0 to 255, which it then *MODs* to 0 to 99. This gives you a 3/256 chance of every number from 0 to 55, and a 2/256 chance of every number from 56 to 99.

Of course, this assumes that the RNG it's getting these random numbers from is equally distributed and random itself, but I'm not going to delve that far in analysis.

The damage taken from failing to steal is unknown.. but seems to revolve around Edge's level primarily
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathlike2
    For a thought, it's not that surprising that developer incompetance was done in the coding (there's too many bugs as there was). It would've been simplier to not do modulus.. and adjusted the math/checking accordingly.
    +also:
    less informative gamefaqs guide:
    GameFAQs: Final Fantasy IV (SNES) Steal FAQ by DoraboChan

Hey... very good info... !
    Thanks a lot for posting...
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...