Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armor VS Weapons

Default Armor VS Weapons

I'm certain there's a multitude of other places I could've put this thread, but I figgered this was the one what got the most traffic.

In any case, while playing a game where armor and weapons are available, which do you emphasize more and why?
    "OBGYN? What's that? It sounds like a Jedi." - Kevin Brown

Bite me.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Threads need to go in the forum they best fit, not the forum that gets the most traffic.

*moves to gen gaming*

Weapons versus armor? I usually pick armor first. I've never really thought about why, it's just a habit I've developed over the years.
    Figaro Castle

Blog Entries

I'd have gone with General Gaming on this one.

Anyway, it depends on the game. If dodging is a common possibility, I'll probably find a weapon that works with that, and then get armor that helps my speed. If dodging isn't, then I'll make sure I have good defense for whatever's thrown at me.
    Last edited by KentaRawr!; 05-30-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Looks like it's already there.

I like the stabbity.

Weapons for me please.

If I don't have enough money for both, I alternate. First I get weapons and the next time I come to a new town I focus on armour.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I usually go for weapons. Most games use very large numbers when calculating damages, and as such, weapons usually need to have higher stats than armors do, and get the benefit of the formula behind it. Rarely if ever will you do negative damage if the function looks like (Attack Damage - Armor Amount), unless an element is involved. Additionally, games also usually provide two opportunities to mitigate damage: running and dodging.

Now, if the armors had counter capabilities or special mods, this might be a different discussion. It also depends on the availability of healing. If it's free like in Pokemon, who cares what your defense is; if it's not, then you'd probably want to watch a little more closely. This also depends on how severe the penalty for dying is; if you're a level 70 Paladin in Diablo II, you can die all you want. If you're a level 92 Sorceress, you might care more.

Cha. It was a toss-up between the two....

In any case, I like Roto's answer, though I usually pick armor first.

EDIT:Nice same-time post.
    "OBGYN? What's that? It sounds like a Jedi." - Kevin Brown

Bite me.

I usually end up prioritizing characters. I'll get weapons and armor for one character, then the next etc. I also never sell old weapons and armor unless there is a limited inventory.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I tend not to buy new stuff in games unless my team seems *really* weak without it. If it's the kind of game where I can go back and buy stuff if I need to, I usually go straight on to the next section and if the enemies aren't too tough, I keep whatever equipment I had. Usually, by time I really am too weak (or just taking too long to kill stuff), I have more than enough cash to splurge on the best everything for everyone. I remember going through Tales of Symphonia for the longest time with the default equipment.

I think if I had to choose, I would still go test the next-area's enemies first. If they can kill me too fast, I would get armour. If I can survive a few hits, I'd get the weapons first. Generally, I guess I would go for weapons first.

I always choose weapons first. The effects that armour have are hardly noticable. I skip on armour altogether most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Additionally, games also usually provide two opportunities to mitigate damage: running and dodging.
    You forget the third option.

Destroy their very being before they have time to rack up that much damage against you. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    I tend not to buy new stuff in games unless my team seems *really* weak without it. If it's the kind of game where I can go back and buy stuff if I need to, I usually go straight on to the next section and if the enemies aren't too tough, I keep whatever equipment I had. Usually, by time I really am too weak (or just taking too long to kill stuff), I have more than enough cash to splurge on the best everything for everyone. I remember going through Tales of Symphonia for the longest time with the default equipment.

I think if I had to choose, I would still go test the next-area's enemies first. If they can kill me too fast, I would get armour. If I can survive a few hits, I'd get the weapons first. Generally, I guess I would go for weapons first.
    Well, in Tales of Symphonia, not using recovery items, and using the Wooden sword for like a quarter of the game got you some of the best titles you could get that early in the game on your first playthrough.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Tav responds in regards to Diablo II.

Whodathunkit?
    Figaro Castle

Depends on the game FTW.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    Tav responds in regards to Diablo II.

Whodathunkit?
    I actually qualified my statements in terms of Diablo II. I, in the general sense, responded normally and still go for Weapons as a priority in any other RPG game, as well. I even referenced Pokemon. In your Java game, I even grinded to get the Gremlin Knife before I purchased higher level Evil Armors.

TAKE THAT MULLEYBEAR