That's right everybody, it's time for another forum-wide Final Fantasy Challenge! For the rest of June and a couple of weeks into July, the Staff would like to invite you to participate in the Final Fantasy III competition.

We've developed a variety of challenges to whet your competitive appetite; everything from the beginner-friendly completion challenge (in other words, beat the final boss) to the gut-wrenching, heart-burn inducing Sour Cream and Onion Challenge.

BUT. We do have a few rules we're pretty insistent on. I'm stealing those from Azar.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar
Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy I III Rules
  1. When you begin the game, please post a digital camera picture or a screenshot in this thread of your game that has your party clearly visible on the screen. You MUST do this to be eligible for participation in the Challenges; we have to be able to see the names, classes, etc. of your party so we can compare it to your finishing party, and make sure you don't just stick in a memory card or load up a save state without putting in the effort.
  2. That's right, you must also post a picture from the END of the game in this thread with your same party being displayed. This way we can confirm whether or not you met the criteria for any/all of the challenges: what level your party is, what class they are, etc.
  3. You CAN play the game on an emulator, and you CAN give us a screenshot of that. Just don't go talking about where you got the rom, mmkay? ADDENDUM: Also, don't go using frameskip on us. That's just plain wrong.
  4. You can achieve as many challenges as you want, and yes, you will be able to show off your winnings in some manner once this event is over.
And now with the boring stuff out of the way, on to the challenges!

Gold Star Challenges
The Sour Cream and Onion Challenge: To complete the Sour Cream and Onion Challenge you MUST finish the game with a FOUR Onion Knights FULLY EQUIPPED with Onion Knight gear. That's right, you have to finish the game with all characters in the Onion Knight job class and ALL of those characters must have a full set of Onion Equipment.

Onion Kids Only More onion goodness, this requires that you play and beat the entire game with all characters job class as Onion Kids.

The One Character Challenge This is pretty cut and dry. You must play the entire game using only one character. The job class and character is up to you.

All Characters Level 99 Again, pretty easy to figure out. All of your characters must be level 99 upon completion of the game.

All Characters Primary Class Level 99 All characters class level must be at level 99 before the completion of the game. The characters themselves do not have to be at level 99 (if it's even possible to do one without the other).

Initial equipment The game must be completed with the starting set of equipment for all characters.

And finally ...

All Character Classes Level 99
In any combination between your four characters ALL job classes must be represented and ALL job classes must be maxed out at level 99. This challenge is for those who are crazy, masochistic or have WAY too much time on their hands.

And for everyone else who doesn't have the time or the gumption to complete our grueling gold star challenges, we have the following:

Silver Star Challenges
Onion Knights Only Related to our first challenge, this requires that you finish the game with all characters job class as Onion Knight. To complete this challenge you DO NOT have to have complete sets of Onion Equipment.

Same class for all characters All characters must be of the same job class. While you might think this would merit a gold star challenge, it'd be pretty easy to complete this challenge with certain classes.

Completion Challenge Do you have zero time for additional in-game goodies? Join me in a simple completion challenge! I promise I won't upstage you.

Funniest names The funniest names or the funniest naming theme! This will be decided by staff selection and member vote!

Funniest Walkthrough Approaching this game in a way different from anyone else? Develop either a full or partial written walkthrough, complete with screenshots, for any part of FFIII. Please keep Eyes on's forum rules in mind when creating these, but otherwise feel free to be a zany as you want!

Quickest Walkthrough Time the game and compete with other members to see who can beat the game the quickest!

Lowest Average Level to Beat the Game This will be a forums-wide competition to see the average level at which we can all beat the game. Consider this both a personal and community goal!

Girly-Man Challenge Complete the game using only the "weak" classes including (but not limited to) Scholar, Geomancer, Evoker, and Bard!

And that's all she wrote, folks! Get started as soon as you want, participate in as many challenges as you'd like BUT BE AWARE that the final date for completion of challenges is JULY 13, 2008. This is to give us ample time to rest and prep for our next Final Fantasy Challenge.

I myself will be playing along with y'all this time, and I look forward to some great threads about the game. Remember, if you're ever stuck in-game, avoid GameFAQs and other walkthroughs; make an thread here about it and get involved with your fellow gamers.

Good luck y'all!