Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FFIV DS: Is it worth it?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Between the Decant Item system and completely revised boss battles, FFIV DS is like a whole new game. The GBA port was a hack job, but this is a true remake.
    I pretty much was going to say the same thing. I haven't played it, though. However, from what I read, it sounds like it is going to be worth it. Can't wait untill next month.

I'm sick of just watching people play it on Youtube!

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    So I've been reading some importers reviews of this game, and there's really nothing that makes the game stand out. In fact they added far more in the GBA version than they did in this version. I've never felt graphics would make a game better, so if really all they did was update the graphics, is there really any reason to get this game? FFIV was never an outstanding game to me. And I already own the GBA version...

Honestly I think I might have to pass on this game.

THE JACKAL
    You can learn some abilities like Darkness and others. As in learn I mean like Kain having Darkness and Rydia having Bahamut in the action menu.
    Strago Magus

Dispenser Of Sarcasm Queen Anthai's Avatar

Are the bonus dungeons from the GBA version on the DS? I really liked those.

Yes, in the moonlight she is even more beautiful...

No. There are two (technically three) new optional bosses but you fight them in established locations.

Blog Entries

Default The new system thing SUCKS!!

i wish it was always for playstation. now everybody has to buy machines that cost hundreds of dollars just to play his fav series. I'm just sticking to the PS1 version
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

I will be purchasing this. But I have to admit, I've been spoiled by the GBA version due to the fact that near the end you can switch out party members and felt quite disappointed that the DS version didnt include it =(

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    i wish it was always for playstation. now everybody has to buy machines that cost hundreds of dollars just to play his fav series. I'm just sticking to the PS1 version
    How much did you pay for your Playstation to enjoy this/these game(s)? :P j/k

Hey, on YouTube they have people playing this game in english. Some videos are as old as January. How might this be possible? Has it been released in AU/UK or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    How much did you pay for your Playstation to enjoy this/these game(s)? :P j/k

Hey, on YouTube they have people playing this game in english. Some videos are as old as January. How might this be possible? Has it been released in AU/UK or something?
    I agree with Vyk, except without the not kidding part.

First, it was never always playstation, It was SNES first then playstation, then GBA, now DS. Why is it like this? Because people who run gaming companies will market their ports/remakes toward the financially popular console. FF genre was nintendo (and le wonderswan) until 6, when 7 came out they made the wisest choice to put the next Final Fantasies on the playstation, knowing that A LOT of people bought FF's for the playstation they ported the earlier Final Fantasy's to the playstation because they know that the die-hard FF fans are going to buy it.
    When they released the ports to the GBA they made a great decision, Having your childhood memories portable?! Awesome! And the people who bought these games showed that, yes having portable nostalgia is fun.

So why is it going to the DS? Because the DS is a -very- well selling system, there's no reason for them to put it on anything BUT the DS. Playstation games are gone, Ps2 games are going (if not gone) and to be honest if they made a ps3 FFIV there would be a mass hysteria from FFVII fan's due to the fact that they're constantly swarming when it comes to a Ps3 FFVII remake! If you want to keep any one happy, it's the FFVII fans and Squeenix knows this -very- well. Plus, personally, I don't think FFIV would be high on their priorities of FF remakes for the ps3, FFVII for sure, FFVI maybe.

Who are the people who are going to buy FFIV-DS? The one's who have the nostalgia factor (like me and people my age), The one's who have bought ALL the ports and remakes of FF games solely to have played them all (AKA the die hard fans), and those who just want to see an old game be remade into a 3D wonder (AKA those going after the graphics aspect.).

With that said, FFIV is my second favorite FF, My second FF game on the SNES, and one that I just all around love. I prolly won't buy it the day it comes out, but I'll get it at some point. I'm always interested in seeing what remakes can do to a game, especially one that has a nostalgia factor for me.

Its actually fitting (though has nothing to do with their reasoning) that it comes back to a Nintendo system

After watching some videos on YouTube I'm actually really interested, and just may get it next week. A DS game that's not all gimicky and pick-up-and-play'ish. Something that's going to be long and mature'ish

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    Who are the people who are going to buy FFIV-DS? The one's who have the nostalgia factor (like me and people my age), The one's who have bought ALL the ports and remakes of FF games solely to have played them all (AKA the die hard fans), and those who just want to see an old game be remade into a 3D wonder (AKA those going after the graphics aspect.).
    People like me! People who've played Final Fantasy before that game VII that I hear was a dull roar in the gaming industry.

Then I'm sure there is some kid who's heard of Final Fantasy, has a DS, but never has played it. He'll see this game in say a GameStop and hopefully buy it.

And maybe we can get those people who say "I-VI suck because they're not 3D wah wah wah" to play it because, hey, it's 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    People like me! People who've played Final Fantasy before that game VII that I hear was a dull roar in the gaming industry.

Then I'm sure there is some kid who's heard of Final Fantasy, has a DS, but never has played it. He'll see this game in say a GameStop and hopefully buy it.

And maybe we can get those people who say "I-VI suck because they're not 3D wah wah wah" to play it because, hey, it's 3D.
    Exactly, but not only that, with the.. well nice number of years in between FF games (numbered series games) these kinds of releases can easily bring some of the newer gamers in for the sole fact that they may have played VII-XII and now, other than spin off's the only numbers left are the one's before VII, with FFIV being on a well-bought handheld-console, it increases the chances of the younger gamers picking this game up (as they did with FFIII) to see what FF games were about BEFORE FFVII or FFVIII.
    Squeenix is at least smart enough to know to release all these games a good time inbetween the numbered games, most people have beaten FFXII so now they're just waiting around for something else even interesting to pop up, I'd say this would be pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post

I'M WITH YOU THERE AMEN! (FFVII isn't the holy grail of Final Fantasy! get over it!!) Final Fantasy IV was my first and most favorite, so i for one am going to get it!

I don't feel this deserves it's own topic but it has added to its "worth it" value for me: Multi-language support!

Switching the DS' language will change the language allegedly, and I desperately am trying to learn French. Now must buy.

I have the game & there are enough changes to the way it's played to make it seem like a whole new experience. I don't know how many times I fought Scarmiglion before beating him cause the difficulty has been ramped up so much. I died in the story event to get Yang back in Baron of all things. You have to develop new strategies for alot of bosses. Not to mention the augments are nice (I gave Cecil the Counter Augment, great for boss battles).

Anyway, in short - it is definitely worth it.