Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FFIV DS: Is it worth it?

Default FFIV DS: Is it worth it?

So I've been reading some importers reviews of this game, and there's really nothing that makes the game stand out. In fact they added far more in the GBA version than they did in this version. I've never felt graphics would make a game better, so if really all they did was update the graphics, is there really any reason to get this game? FFIV was never an outstanding game to me. And I already own the GBA version...

Honestly I think I might have to pass on this game.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

It's pretty much just a presentation upgrade, yeah. There are a few cool features like harder boss battles, a couple of new scenes that help fill out some backstories and a new (admitably fairly tacked on) ability system but if you didn't like the original I can't see this version winning you over.

Like FFIII DS, it's one for the fans.
    Last edited by Karellen; 06-05-2008 at 11:09 AM.

It just depends on how big a fan you are of Final Fantasy IV. I gave that game a 9.5/10, so I'm getting Final Fantasy IV for the DS the day it comes out. It's a personal choice.

By the way, don't forget that in Japan they released Final Fantasy IV: The After, a cellphone sequel. It's released in episodes, I hope we get this game!
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    It's pretty much just a presentation upgrade, yeah. There are a few cool features like harder boss battles, a couple of new scenes that help fill out some backstories and a new (admitably fairly tacked on) ability system but if you didn't like the original I can't see this version winning you over.

Like FFIII DS, it's one for the fans.
    except one major difference. I was never able to own a copy of FFIII until it was released for the DS in america. FFIV however I have copies of on multiple systems. I like the game, but just for a graphics upgrade doesn't seem worth it. Especially with other new original games coming out around the same time, even FFTA2, another game by the same company!

THE JACKEL

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    In fact they added far more in the GBA version than they did in this version.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    What?
    they're mostly minor changes if you ask me

FFIV GBA added new dungeon and more story stuff and the ability to change your characters out. That adds far more to the game IMO. 99% of the changes for the DS version are nothing significant.

The only really major change I can see, is the decant ability system.

THE JACKEL

I'm sure you can buy it used in a couple years for $9.99 if you don't think it's worth it now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    What?
    they're mostly minor changes if you ask me

FFIV GBA added new dungeon and more story stuff and the ability to change your characters out. That adds far more to the game IMO. 99% of the changes for the DS version are nothing significant.

The only really major change I can see, is the decant ability system.

THE JACKAL
    If I remember right, they said that the GBA version was missing about 1/3 of the original script, along with the PS version. They said they would correct this in the DS version. Am I right or am I just crazy or something.

They said that the original game (and all subsequent ports) was only about 25% of what they originally planned. Whether that means story wise or overall content is rather ambiguous.

Either way, what actually ended up in the DS version is nothing like what they implied. Although they did say they were going to try to put 'some' of the cut content into the game so I guess they didn't exactly lie.

I think u don't need to ask if the DS version of this game worth it... if u are a big fan of this game, will be awesome to play it just even if there is no change at all on the script, items, dungeons, and that stuff... 'cause just seeing ur loved characters in a 3D enviroment is awesome!

Of course, if u are not a great fan of FFIV, u can just play the snes, gba, or ds version with no need to play them all...
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

I guess the big question I really mean to ask is, with brand new original games coming out around the same time, like FFTA 2, is it worth buying another copy of a game I've played countless times. Did they really add enough new stuff to warrant buying it among many new games/titles coming out at the same time?

I liked FFIV, but I didn't love it, and it would not kill me to wait til it dropped dramatically in price to get it. I still haven't bought New Super Mario Bros because it is still 35 dollars, and I do not feel it is worth 35 compared to other titles

THE JACKEL

I liked FFIV, but I didn't love it, and it would not kill me to wait til it dropped dramatically in price to get it. I still haven't bought New Super Mario Bros because it is still 35 dollars, and I do not feel it is worth 35 compared to other titles
    Then there u have ur own answer
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

Blog Entries

You get to see Rydia in 3D! Of course it's worth it!

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Between the Decant Item system and completely revised boss battles, FFIV DS is like a whole new game. The GBA port was a hack job, but this is a true remake.

FFTA 2 comes out almost a whole month before FF IV DS.