Thread: Major Keyboard Remapping

Default Major Keyboard Remapping

I'm not talking about anything that you would be able to do in game like the full to compact and the cute minor edits for auto-attack and camera angles.

The Question:
    How do I remap the windows key to read as the control key while playing FFXI?

Some tl;dr about Why and What I've Tried:
    My issue is I'm playing on a dual booting MacBook Pro. Now, so far this hasn't been an issue except the keyboard is annoying. Everything works fine, but I would much rather hit the larger and more numerous command (apple) keys than the tiny, singular, awkwardly placed control key for my macros. And before you say "Just use alt macros," that's a silly suggestion, and I will not stand for it! Plus it has almost the exact same issues.

Outside the game in Windows mode the control key lives up to its name and the command (apple) keys worked as Windows keys (where if you press them they open up the start menu). That is, up until the last restart. I remapped the keys via some registry files (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet ->Control ->Keyboard Layout).

Unfortunately this remap, while good enough for Microsoft, is not good enough for SE.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why this works the way it does, especially since MBPs have a somewhat awkward keyboard layout to begin with. I have two ideas.
    1. SE has their own keyboard layout registry file that I need to edit since it ignores/overrides the one I already edited.
    2. Apple has their own keyboard layout registry file that I need to edit because it peacefully coexists deferring to the Windows one until FFXI comes along and refers exclusively to the Apple one.

Any suggestions/ideas/solutions?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I want to do this in windows too. :(
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I'm not sure how you'd go about remapping those keys, but you could always try buying a cheap keyboard that has bigger keys (a windows based one too). That's if you can't figure this out.

I'd rather just stick with the obnoxious key combos. I'm sure I'll get used to them enough so that they won't hinder me any. I'm not too fond of tacking on a bunch of extra stuff to a laptop.

Also, one should note that remapping the Windows keys to be ctrl and the ctrl key to be a Windows key has caused the minor annoyance of making "ctrl+r" bring up "/tell USERNAME r" instead of just "/tell USERNAME".

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

You can edit the keyboard functions using a third party, illegal tool.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I'm not too fond of tacking on a bunch of extra stuff to a laptop. Also, one should note that remapping the Windows keys to be ctrl and the ctrl key to be a Windows key has caused the minor annoyance of making "ctrl+r" bring up "/tell USERNAME r" instead of just "/tell USERNAME".