Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB gaming lingo?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Get used to it, each game has its own lingo. I've been playing Final Fantasy XI for 4 years and I can't understand the people who immigrate from WoW. I shake my head every time someone says "taunt" when they mean "voke" or "DPS" when they mean "DD."

I'm being this person right now. FFXI is blowing my poor little former-WoW-playing mind. I'll probably continue to use some of the ones that aren't game specific (obviously "taunt" and "voke" need to stick to their respective games) but eh.

Personally, I have to keep up the FFXIclopedia dictionary when I'm playing. Seriously guys, do you really have to shorten party to pt? SRSLY?

As far as strange WoW lingo goes, the most confusing has to be place names (BRD vs BFD, ULDA vs UBRS vs LBRS, RFD vs RFK) not to mention all the VC vs DM debates (and DM will always stand for Dire Maul, noobs). I did get confused with omw. I think that was it for any slang one could actually use for anywhere that isn't Azeroth.

I did once say "Come on guys, let's hearth" in real life, that got me some odd looks.

I do have to say, the best thing about game lingo is once I start talking with someone who plays the same MMO, we can successfully alienate anyone else from the conversation in a way almost nothing else but speaking another language can.

FFXIV Character

Ella Cinder (Sargatanas)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Likewise with D2 (Easier to type than "Warp 2," and it has caught on amongst speakers of every language in the game--it originates because "Warp" is "Dezone" in the Japanese client)
    AH-HA! I never knew that but I always wondered~! orz orz orz wwwwww

wtb mats for goblin rocket launcher at org bank, pst!

"PST" is my favorite. I remember when Eric first played WoW he was all "amg I thought 'PST' was like psst" lolno "please send tell" har har har noob. n________n

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I get on with it myself and use a lot of the acronyms myself. It's just a good way of communicating because it allows you to make a quick request that everyone can understand without going into deep verbatim on the subject. On the whole however I tend to type in full sentences wherever possible, because it's a really good way of increasing your typing speed while you play. Right now I can type 80+WPM all thanks to playing online games.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    As far as strange WoW lingo goes, the most confusing has to be place names (BRD vs BFD, ULDA vs UBRS vs LBRS, RFD vs RFK) not to mention all the VC vs DM debates (and DM will always stand for Dire Maul, noobs). I did get confused with omw. I think that was it for any slang one could actually use for anywhere that isn't Azeroth.
    Sorry, the dungeon isn't called Van Cleef. :P

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    "WoW"?
    "EoFF"?

FFXIV Character

Ella Cinder (Sargatanas)
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    QFT, and it's always smurfing 19 rogue twinkzzzszss that wanna run "VC" for "lol phat lewt".

Then call it DMS. It's VC otherwise. Pathetic little dungeons do not deserve to be singled out by their titles. They get called by their boss name.

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

Sometimes, when I'm talking to my guildies in vent, I accidentally use the wrong...erm..code for whatever. Like, We've been raiding Zul'Aman, and I've called it ZF before. I've been playing less that a year, so that could be a plausible excuse....

Ok, so if shortening things is supposed to make it easier, why do people tack stuff on the end? Lollerskates? Roflcopter? What gives? o_O
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I always though DM=Dead Mines.

No.

Back from the Abyss ValkyrieWing's Avatar

VC- Deadmines
    DM-Dire Maul

those ones are easy. it's the other ones that suck. lol
    ~Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence. Thou shalt have it.~

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Then call it DMS. It's VC otherwise. Pathetic little dungeons do not deserve to be singled out by their titles. They get called by their boss name.
    wtb 1 x [Rectal Stick Remover]

I can't find that on wowhead, where does it drop?

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Regardless of what the WoW folks would have you believe, DM = Divine Might. Always has and always will.

On a related note, EDM = Eskimo Deathmatch. The WoW folks can't take that one away either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

I don't play alliance so like.. the 2 times we got bored enough to want to go over there we'd just be all "DEAD MINES. >=O"

The only one that really got me confused was "Slabs" which is Shadow Labyrinth. Usually most of them are either abbreviations or the first so many letters of on the of the words, slabs is just a combo word. Whic... there's not even an "s" at the end. ; ;