Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favourite PS1 RPGs?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Zelda-esque games aren't RPGs even by the lose video game definition of RPGs. xP But it sounds like I'd probably like it anyway, cause I liked Soul Reaver (what I managed to play of it) and I loves me some Zelda-style adventure games.
    That's why I said "if you class it as an RPG"
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 06-17-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Suikoden II is all you need. If you've played it already, play it again. If you haven't played it then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Star Ocean: The Second Story is smurfing art.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Barring the Squeenix Final Fantasys and Chrono Cross which are expected to be good, the ones which first came to my mind were Wild Arms and Suikoden 2 Tales of Eternia, being a Tales Of game, is also great, and the remake of Tales of Phantasia on this console I think is the best version of that particular game Lunar and Lunar 2 were suprisingly nice too, despite being remakes of Sage Saturn games
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Oh, right, Lunar. I remember wanting to play that when it was released for Sega CD way back when. :P

Sega CD was da shizz... :(

Hrm. I just looked at a list of PS1 RPGs. Since I don't have my stack of games where I can see them. I'm sure you've gotten your fill of suggestions by now. Hundreds of hours of gameplay on all these suggestions. But I'll throw one more in that hasn't been mentioned. Jade Coccoon. Its not an exceptional game by any standards. But it was an interesting take on the whole monster collecting system. Like playing Pokemon with a fascinating tribal Miyazaki (Princess Mononoke/Nausicaa) -esque setting. If you're in to monster collecting. Its got a story about some infestation of locusts or something. My memory's a little foggy

I remember playing a demo of Jade Coccoon back in the day and I distinctly remember not liking it. xP

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Oh, right, Lunar. I remember wanting to play that when it was released for Sega CD way back when. :P
    Lunar 2's voice acting and storyline are painfully bad, unless you're a big fan of cheese. The combat system was also somewhat meh, and I had to grind pretty hardcore to beat the game. Lot of people love it, though.

When you say you've played all the Breath of Fire games, I assume you're including BoF I and II even though they aren't PS1 games. If I'm wrong, though, you should give BoF II a try; it's definitely old-school, and I enjoyed it a lot when I played it, although it was one of my first RPGs and I was certainly able to overlook a lot of things that would bother me today.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    To this day I have trouble really getting into this game... I always get to a point where I can't stand to grind, but can't get any farther without doing it to some ridiculous extent, and I give up. It makes me wonder if I've just always been playing it wrong.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I was assured that it was hot skullskullskullskull and found it to be a bit of a letdown. I thought the writing was kind of meh, and grinding at the end was just ridiculous. I did beat it, though, but damn was it hard.

I have indeed played BoF I and II. Great games. Especially II.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    To this day I have trouble really getting into this game... I always get to a point where I can't stand to grind, but can't get any farther without doing it to some ridiculous extent, and I give up. It makes me wonder if I've just always been playing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    I was assured that it was hot skullskullskullskull and found it to be a bit of a letdown. I thought the writing was kind of meh, and grinding at the end was just ridiculous. I did beat it, though, but damn was it hard.
    Could just be the massive nostalgia that factors into my fanboyhood regarding this game. I liked all the freedom they gave you regarding branches of the story, party members, and all that stuff. I also remember one particular scene where some little kid steals your wallet and then you scold him but feel bad and go buy him stuff (IF YOU WANT, of course). I do remember it being pretty damn hard though.

Probably the best Star Ocean 2 review ever in the history of ever-ness:
    Insomnia | Reviews | PlayStation | Star Ocean: The Second Story

Yeah, calling it a JRPG Morrowind about sums up why I don't care for it, but why I can fully accept why so many people do. I'm not a huge fan of the wanderaroundsmurfinglostallthetimewithnodirection brand of non-linearity, but at least it's some kind of different. The third game doesn't even seem to try to be even the remotest kind of fun or interesting.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tri-Ace, however, so tastes will vary and all that. I like both Valkyrie Profile games a lot. But as stated before, I feel Tri-Ace's games are just too obtuse for me to love. I never feel like there's much cohesion in their design. I like different elements, but don't feel like they ever mesh together very well. They feel "stilted" to me I guess; lacking in "completeness".
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the record, SO2 is one of my faves ever. :3

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well worth a play, both of them. If only for the rather excellent soundtrack.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.