Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I assess that the game continues to enjoy a steady population. This lets Square Enix stand as one of the many competitors to Blizzard Entertainment.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Is there any solo content yet? Haven't played this game for about a year or two. What killed me last time I went back was LFG for any type of class other than a tank, healer or RDM/BRD where you'd be searching for hours sometimes before finding a party. Has it canged in that aspect at all?

I doubt Final Fantasy XI will ever focus on soloing. It's main object seems to be partying, and it's focused on partying because it's supposed to be like you play one part in a party typical to the other games in the series.

I read the XI census before I rebought the game today. I had to make sure it wasn't dead. Hopefully something will happen to lower that fee though. Yeah I know "it's not that much for a month" but if they estimate that 500,000 players are playing, do they really need ~$6,500,000/mo. to keep up the game?

Quote Originally Posted by wylantar View Post
    Is there any solo content yet? Haven't played this game for about a year or two. What killed me last time I went back was LFG for any type of class other than a tank, healer or RDM/BRD where you'd be searching for hours sometimes before finding a party. Has it canged in that aspect at all?
    While the interest of the game is still and probably always be party based, there are alternatives that help when you arent in a party. For example i probably gained exp faster trio-ing with a bunch of friends near La Thine than i would in a party in Valkurm. With the addition of EXP Rings, and the new buffs Signet gives you in Conquest areas to fight against EM - TW mobs, its alot easier to solo or form small groups to play and get faster exp than a party would.

Also times have changed, in the sense that if you are in say the mid 30s you dont just sit there waiting in Jeuno hoping to get a party...you now usually pop your exp ring and go solo outside against EM-DC mobs for exp. DNC as a subjob is very strong too relying on TP to heal instead of MP, making it the perfect thing to sub when you are LFG, and dont want to just idle wasting time. Its what i do on SAM all the time until someone invites me to a 6 man party where i promptly run back to town and use a more party focused subjob like WAR or THF.

Decent - Even Mobs give me 130-150 exp each with exp ring(which can last a while soloing), and with DNC subjob downtime is minimal. No party? No big deal...at the trade of alot of exp i at least get to keep all the seals/drops the mobs give me.

Admittingly i am a SAM, making TP less of an issue, however i can see this working out with any melee job with a lil more thought in how they use/manage their TP.

I read the XI census before I rebought the game today. I had to make sure it wasn't dead. Hopefully something will happen to lower that fee though. Yeah I know "it's not that much for a month" but if they estimate that 500,000 players are playing, do they really need ~$6,500,000/mo. to keep up the game?
    Oh you :P Why would a successful business need that much money? Or a better question is...why would Blizzard need THAT much money with the subscription fee staying the same since launch? cough9mil+subscriberscough.........

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    Oh you :P Why would a successful business need that much money? Or a better question is...why would Blizzard need THAT much money with the subscription fee staying the same since launch? cough9mil+subscriberscough.........
    I know what you're trying to say, but I don't think the subscription is where the company should try to turn a profit. I wouldn't mind it if you didn't have to first buy the game. They should either try to profiteer off either the game itself or make the game free and make a profit from the subscription.

But, that's just me. [/derail thread]

EDIT: I know it sound like I'm asking for no subscription fee at all, but I'm not. Although the game being free to play wouldn't be a bad thing, I'd actually rather pay a little for a game that is well kept.

Beating a dead horse there.

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Guess there's 499,999 population now since I learned Leave :P
    Too big.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

NO, did you quit Shiva? That's a shame.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My lady and I picked up the game again yesterday. Taking an extended break from WoW due to end game burnout. We pretty much started over on the Ragnarok server though. Her old account was unsafe due to one of her friends knowing the password. I transfered my 75DRK galka off of pandemonium over to Ragnarok for money.

The game seems to be emptier than I remembered. We started in Windy, and I've only seen 5 other players so far.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Database - FFXIAH.com

^ This helps via server pop. However i dont find it that empty even on Midgard

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Wasn't WoW out before FFXI?
    Do I rev your engine Moony? Eh EH do I? nudge nudge wink wink etc ad nauseaum. - Sirius

Vroom, vroom. - Remus (ALLINTHESUBTEXTXD)

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Um, no.

FFXI has been around since 2001.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I thought it was 2000 in Japan? Eh, it was too long ago...

EDIT: I am usually on during JP prime time, and there's roughly 2000-3000 people on Midgardsormr. But that was a week night I checked so maybe more during weekends.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Maybe it was 2000. But yeah, 2-3000 per server sounds right, with some servers being a bit overpopulated, like Odin that's got nearly 5000 at peaks. I guess s ome servers are a bit underpopulated too though.

There are 32 servers active nowadays, plus one test server, so I would say that there are still years until they pull the plug on this game. Even then, S-E has stated that they will find a way for players to keep using their characters even after the game is no longer profitable to them.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I thought WoW was out way before 2001...
    o_O
    Do I rev your engine Moony? Eh EH do I? nudge nudge wink wink etc ad nauseaum. - Sirius

Vroom, vroom. - Remus (ALLINTHESUBTEXTXD)