Thread: A thread about Mass Effect

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default A thread about Mass Effect

Well Mass Effect isn't a new game anymore it's even been out on PC for around a month however much I like the idea of it and love the story line I have one major gripe (I got it like day of release on 360 btw) the sniper rifle aiming, it's horrible I've tried spending all my infiltrators valuble points on them, spending all my cash on the stability upgrades and still the aiming system is horrible. You're spot on target and then BOOM just as you pull the trigger on your carefully aimed head shot the breathing/heartbeat/general shakiness of the aiming reticule moves and your shot skims past the enemy with no effect And as with all good sniper rifles the super expensive (or just difficult to acquire) ammo you've loaded it with that rains instant death upon your enemies means the gun will over heat if you so much as look at it in the wrong way and when the gun has finally cooled down enough you go through the same fuss of making the shot again.

So my gamers lazy instinct tells me to ditch the wonderous infiltrator char and build myself a soldier char who will in no uncertain terms just use an extremely stable assault rifle to precision burst fire on anything from similar distance as the average sniper rifle shot thus making combat a walk through (longest shots I pulled off were about 450 - 500 of whatever distance measurement they use on it, this was against defensive turrets on the moon based mission in orbit of earth) This however goes against my desire to break in to all and any and all code locked boxes. I have no gripe with the pistol though that weapon is awesome just I find that it can lack the stopping power or range of it's partner long rifle.

However in any kind of game where I get to choose my weapons I generally will always go to pick the sniper class character, on Halo 3 I go nuts with sniper rifles and I also made sure the first thing I done on my second play through of freedom fighters was ensure I put in the cheat which allowed me a silenced pistol and sniper rifle. On MGS2 I used the first person view to snipe out so much with the M9 tranq gun I became profficient enough to use it on any enemy bar the parts where you HAVE to use other more lethal forms of combat. (this included fighting my way out of an alert with nothing but a tranq gun, hitting guys behind plas shields with tranq darts is not easy when they're alone but 4 on 1 was fun lol) I love being the group sniper and it fits my ability I like to take my time and make my shots perfect.

So to give this thread an actual discussion worthy of you my fellow gaming persons, tell me:

If you have played Mass Effect, do you agree with me on the aiming of the sniper rifles, is it horrible in your opinion or not?

Also, would you in my position call it quits and use the soldier class for an easier time relying on custom managing one of my party members to try and open the boxes locked by codes?

If you don't have Mass Effect yet, why are you holding off from what is an actually truly awesome RPG (minus the sniper rifles aiming capabilities) and has my post about the horrid aiming for that weapon alone put you off buying the game?

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I didn't have any trouble with sniping, really, and on my second playthrough mainly used sniper rifles because I'd gone the shotgun route the first time around. Mass Effect starts out hard (relatively, I'm not saying it's super challenging or anything) but once you reach a certain level the difficulty just kind of drops off as you continue to get more and more badass. Just do some sidequests, get some money, and find/buy some wicked armor.

Blog Entries

I had wicked armour and a brilliant sniper rifle along with the best stabilizers money could buy, the problem is that anyone professionally trained to snipe would never breathe in the aiming process, the sniper would hold their breath out so that their body becomes rigid and calm to take the shot, that or they'd take Diazapam if they had problems keeping the gun steady. I just think the sniper rifle aiming style is horrible, it's not super hard or anything just annoying when my head shots go wide due to the annoying aiming process, I've relied thus far on my current file (restarted due to boredom and long hiatus) on radiation rounds to pulverize anything I hit even with torso shots.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Aiming a sniper rifle in an RPG?

Wat?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

I'll assume DKMA you're not being ironic, but I may be wrong. Whilst Mass Effect is an RPG it's combat is done in full flashy 3rd person action adventure style. It's a lot more fluid than in Kotor games which based the idea for it. Depending on your class you get weapon specialization, my favourite class the Infiltrator specializes in light armour, sniper rifles, pistols and bypassing computerized systems. A soldier focuses on pure combat skills specializing in all armour and weapons (weapons form the following classes: grenades, pistol, assault rifle, sniper rifle and shotgun) since my character only specializes in pistols and sniper rifles whilst they can equip other weapons such as assault rifles and shotguns they have no art in using it precisely the targetting is poor and the damage/cooldown period doesn't increase/reduce like a trainable weapon. This means that an infiltrator using a shotgun needs to be point blank to the target to actually do a 1 shot kill with them.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    I'll assume DKMA you're not being ironic, but I may be wrong. Whilst Mass Effect is an RPG it's combat is done in full flashy 3rd person action adventure style. It's a lot more fluid than in Kotor games which based the idea for it. Depending on your class you get weapon specialization, my favourite class the Infiltrator specializes in light armour, sniper rifles, pistols and bypassing computerized systems. A soldier focuses on pure combat skills specializing in all armour and weapons (weapons form the following classes: grenades, pistol, assault rifle, sniper rifle and shotgun) since my character only specializes in pistols and sniper rifles whilst they can equip other weapons such as assault rifles and shotguns they have no art in using it precisely the targetting is poor and the damage/cooldown period doesn't increase/reduce like a trainable weapon. This means that an infiltrator using a shotgun needs to be point blank to the target to actually do a 1 shot kill with them.
    Oh, that sucks. I thought you were talking about an actual RPG I hadn't played and got all excited.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I don't know how the assault rifle works as an alternative. But my char can zoom in hard core with the shotgun somehow. Its pretty awesome. One of the most powerful weapons with percision accuracy. Not very shotgunny though lol..

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Sorry there's no Diazapam in Mass Effect. Maybe it'll be in the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Oh, that sucks. I thought you were talking about an actual RPG I hadn't played and got all excited.
    It is a RPG. It has character creation and dialog choices and everything.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Not only is it an RPG, it's one of the best in a long while.

Edit: And oh yeah, I had no real trouble with sniping in Mass Effect.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 06-25-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Mass Effect was a disappointment in my eyes. It promised so much but delivered on so little of it. The gameplay felt like a botched 3rd person shooter. Interacting with NPC's wasnt as interesting as promised, just plain boring.

Other than that it does everything well, just not great. Still havent beaten the game yet.

Recognized Member smittenkitten's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator

I still have to finish the game btu I gave up after seeing the ending whiel Daniel was playing. Good game though so far, so many different ways to play it. Can't wait till Mass Effect 2 comes out but I'll try and finish the first one.