Thread: Piercing Broadcast Television With its Drill

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Default Piercing Broadcast Television With its Drill

People who came into this topic with knowledge of what I'm referencing should take a look at this.

It's the Sci-Fi channel's programming schedule for July 28, 2008. Mosey on down to the 11PM slot (at least it's 11PM on my screen), and there you see it: 2 blocks of GURREN LAGANN.

This is significant because, well, it's freakin' Gurren-Lagann (GL). But besides that, there's a slight chance that these episodes will be subtitled. For those of you who may not have been following the R1 lifespan of GL, Bandai Entertainment acquired the rights to the show in April after ADV quietly lost them. Bandai is going to be releasing GL on DVD in 2 formats: first, a sub-only, 27-episodes-over-3-sets release starting July 8th (also with a special edition), then a proper hybrid (dub+sub) release in 2009. This would lead me to assume that what they would be showing on Sci-Fi would be the subtitled version...if previous experience didn't suggest otherwise.

Boring rantWhile it's still possible that the show could be subtitled, anime of all types that get broadcast on TV are pretty much always dubbed. DVDs usually come out much much later, with the rare exception of shows that are already out on DVD. To narrow it down to just this company, Bandai in particular has their shows come on TV with DVDs coming out waaaaaaaay later. The Big O first aired on Cartoon Network in April 2001 and the first DVD wasn't released until January '04. For something more recent, Eureka 7 ended the first run of its Cartoon Network broadcast in April 2007, and the last DVD of the show just came out this February. Even right now, Code Geass has been airing on Cartoon Network for 4 weeks and there is no mention of a DVD release yet.

So even though they're putting out Sub DVDs of GL before this broadcast, there's little doubt that they've been working on proper localization since acquiring the title in April. However, April was just a month ago, and I don't know how fast they can do this kind of stuff. And this is one show that really should not be done in a rush. I guess we'll find out come the end of July...if it even happens.

Spin on.

Pic for posterity's sake
    Last edited by JKTrix; 05-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This is awesome and all...but why the Sci-fi channel?

So I wasted my time downloading it (haven't watched it just yet) when I can just get the DVDs which likely have special features?

Yes please.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Ah, about that. They haven't gone into specifics about what will actually be on the upcoming release, but with 9 episodes per release over 2 DVDs for $30 (and the fact that they've only 'owned' the show since April), I don't know how much space or time will be left over for extras. Look for all that good stuff in the show's proper and full release in 2009.

As for me, I will willingly buy this show 3 times. I'm definitely buying these sub-only ones, and then I'll buy it again once the dub comes next year, probably with better packaging and a box and extras and stuff.

Then, if the stars align, I will happily and eagerly purchase a BluRay release of this show. Anime in HD. Believe it.

As for the 'why Sci-Fi' thing, my assumption is that Adult Swim is already full (since that's where these shows tend to end up). And they probably have Gundam 00 higher on their tier list for Cartoon Network than GL.

The SciFi channel seems to have a better timeslot though (11pm on a monday), since adult swim seems to push these back to like 1:00 on Sunday mornings/Saturday night.
    Last edited by JKTrix; 05-20-2008 at 02:04 PM.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I'd definitely get Tengen Toppa on DVD. Don't really care about it being on TV 'cause I doubt they'll air it here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    This is awesome and all...but why the Sci-fi channel? :p

So I wasted my time downloading it (haven't watched it just yet) when I can just get the DVDs which likely have special features?

Yes please.
    Watch the sub, buy the dub, la la la

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

This is happening tonight.

It will be the Dub version. I got my DVD set a little early, about a month ago now. I've seen previews of the dub that they've shown at some anime convention on YouTube, but should be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

*sets DVR so I can watch it even if I miss it*

Oooh. I may watch it again just for the experience with the dub. xP

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Well, I missed it... I had the TV on the channel but I fell asleep (11EST is midnight here).

SciFi currently has it streaming on their website though, and I don't think there are region limits on it.
    SCI FI Anime | SCIFI.COM