red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

damn

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

FFXI is, admittedly, a love it or hate it game. It's probably best that one can't fork out $200 for some kind of lifetime membership right from the get-go. The one month trial version is often insufficient, as, unless you're a returning player, one is unlikely to experience the extent of the game in a mere month. Better to pay as you go and then realize down the road that FFXI might not be for you than front a large sum of money and waste it by quitting.

true true if only it cost less per month like runescape ameesly 5 amonth. i mean square is already getting ur money for every disc they sell

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    FFXI is, admittedly, a love it or hate it game. It's probably best that one can't fork out $200 for some kind of lifetime membership right from the get-go. The one month trial version is often insufficient, as, unless you're a returning player, one is unlikely to experience the extent of the game in a mere month. Better to pay as you go and then realize down the road that FFXI might not be for you than front a large sum of money and waste it by quitting.
    Have to admit Ouch! is right, this game is also pretty harsh on newbies, and aside from money you need to invest a pretty big slot of time to get anything done. My friend who plays WoW knows people who lost interest because of lack of low-level content or the like. Campaign Ops did solve that, but now campaign has been made from way too easy to almost ridiculously hard, to the point of where, say, on Midgard Windy is the only city that has an area aside from their own, well, city.

Thanks to Sagensyg for the sig!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sir helix View Post
    true true if only it cost less per month like runescape ameesly 5 amonth. i mean square is already getting ur money for every disc they sell
    The obvious difference, of course, is that Runescape is a piece of skullskullskullskull while FFXI (whether you like it or not) is a quality video game.

While SE doesn't exactly have the most fantastic track record of giving fans what they want (and is developing a nasty habit of taking good things and screwing them up), at least you're getting content updates, regular expansions, etc. The price of the game disc (I recent bought the original game and all four expansions for only $30 when I rejoined) is hardly enough to keep the game afloat.

Based on your comments, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that the only MMO you've ever played is Runescape. Based on this assumption, I'm going to go ahead and issue the following warning: you really have no idea what MMO's are like, do you?

Edit: Wait. Just realized something... You actually paid for Runescape?

yes i did and i have a hell of a fun time playin it.
    mmos i play

runescape
    dicide
    anima roe

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

None of those are event remotely close to a real MMO.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I had to quit Runescape after it wouldn't let me chop a certain tree because my effing tree chopping level wasn't high enough or something. IT'S A TREE.

...but back on topic.

If you can stay with the game long enough to get past the newbie stage, then YAY! Lots of fun ahead!

I, on the other hand, have never gotten past the newbie stage. It's fun when I get a party invite and don't screw things up, but gawd, waiting for a party invite is just soooo boring ;_;

then be a lone wolf even thow i havent the slightest. but if i do ever get this i will be white mage.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sir helix View Post
    then be a lone wolf even thow i havent the slightest. but if i do ever get this i will be white mage.
    For starting players, this is simply not an option. Most of the jobs classes with actual soloing potential are advanced jobs (which require you to obtain level 30 to unlock). The other jobs one is able to solo, however, such as BLM, move discouragingly slow earlier on and benefit more from a party anyway.