Thread: Japanese or English?

Default Japanese or English?

I don't want to play the GBA because I've never played 6 all the way through (so please, no spoilers), so I want the "classic" 6 experience. My only question is should I play the original American localization or should I get a translated Japanese version? I ask this because I hear a good bit was censored out of the American localization. Either way I'm going to play the SNES release.

Play the GBA version because its translation is closer to the original Japanese. The game is the same; all added content is optional. It's not like III's rerelease where bosses' HPs are changed and gameplay is altered.

They have removed an error which had allowed 1 hit KO against bosses.

GBA Version > SNES > PSX

Yes, but I'm talking about getting an English translation of the Japanese SNES version; wouldn't Japanese SNES > GBA ?

I understand that. But the only reason to play the SNES version over the GBA version would be for (1) you own the SNES version and not the GBA version. or (2) You've played the SNES version and want to feel nostalgic again.

Trust me, go with the GBA version. It's the best remake of the three. The translation is the best too, it doesn't use as many Woolseyisms.

There's really only one point where the Fanslated versions of VI are better than the original translation of III. I'd go with the original version, if only for stuff like "Son of a submariner!" Honestly, unless you like to giggle and say "tee hee hee, Kefka made a swear!", you might as well go for the American version.

I think you can actually use the same savestate in both versions, so once you get to that one point, you can switch over to the Japanese version for it.

Without being too spoilery, there's a part where Celes wakes up in a bed. That's where you want to switch to the Japanese version. You should be able to figure out when it's ok to switch back.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I hear what you're trying to say, I ask myself this before replaying VI.

Sky Render & Chris RPG's translation at RPGOne.net is very close to the original Japanese, at some expense. For example, the original official American translation has two in the beginning referring to a "sorceress" whereas the fantranslation has "user of magic." One of the main characters introduces himself with "I am your worst nightmare" whereas in Sky Render's script, he says "If compelled, I will forego honor and fight you as a regular soldier!" So some things are better off without the strictness of the original text.

Overall, I prefer the translated rom. FFVI is actually a pretty adult game, when you look at the dialogue's content and context. In that sense, you could say the official American releases are a considerable distortion to the actual product the developers delivered. Haven't tried the GBA version, though. Wasn't all that impressed with what I saw.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you are limiting yourself to the SNES versions, choose the Japanese version cause the original English translation is not so great. VI is a funny game at times but the awful translation makes it even more comical and I find it cheapens some of the more serious moments in the game. The GBA is a much more accurate translation of the Japanese version in case you decide to look into a accurate translation at some future point of time.

Only thing that sucks in GBA version is one scene is removed but you can live without it, I´m sure you can find the beating scene in Youtube so you really don´t have to bother yourself with SNES version.

SNES version is great but so is GBA and the content is same so it is the same experience except GBA has new dungeon and beastiary.

To be quite honest, the GBA translation makes more sense. Certain instructions and dialoge fit better in most situations. Rarely, however, certain lines are worse, such as <end boss censored>'s greeting at the final battle. I've never read the original Japanese script, but it was still great.

Quote Originally Posted by Unstoppable Pig View Post
    one scene is removed but you can live without it, I´m sure you can find the beating scene in Youtube
    Has there been any reasons given for this? It seems pointless. I can easily imagine censor'ific Nintendo having it removed from the original release. But it didn't. What's the point in removing it now? Its already been shown to Western audiences once. I fail to see the point..

Edit: Also. The GBA version isn't really like a remake or anything. Its a port with additions. So playing it wouldn't really steal away from the "classic"ness of the game

Blog Entries

I personally think that though the Gba had a more proper english structure it wasnt as good as the snes version. I think the usage of -unrefined- translated words gives it a more unique feel as it uses phrases and words that aernt used as much or cliched in the english language.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I heard the scene was censored because of recent (during development) kidnappings or assault crimes in Japan.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

That's a shame, really. It was a great scene.