Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CONFIRMED: Chrono Trigger port for DS?

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I wish they would do it like they did FF4. Then that would be some good justice right there. Sadly they aren't.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    I love the way this, SE's most shameless cash-grab yet, is the thing that has redeemed them in the eyes of many naysayers. When it's Final Fantasy they're "milking the cash cow" but when it's Chrono Trigger they're "making the game accessible for the younger generation".
    Yup. No matter where you go, people while and bitch about series milking and endless remakes and sequels, but that doesn't seem to stop them from squealing like pigs in skullskullskullskull whenever a new one is announced. Then they justify it with "Well, this is different because this is a game I want to play again."

I don't like SE for most cases.

Now, when it comes to FF, I don't bitch when there are ports or remakes, I only bitch when they make a million spin offs for ever game that was deemed "popular" at some point. If an FF has a number 1-12 I won't bitch.
    Yes, I am annoyed that there are like 3 FFXIII's, the only one I'll even look at is which ever one is the REAL FFXIII.

With that said, I never bothered buying FFChronicals when it came out. So I am looking totally forward to a CT port, I would love to have all my child hood games to be portable. What I would NOT like though, is to have all my child hood games being raped and forced to spawn various spin offs for the sake of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post
    I wish they would do it like they did FF4. Then that would be some good justice right there. Sadly they aren't.
    I'm actually kind of glad they're not doing the 3D makeover. I'm not a fan of Akira Toriyama's artwork at ALL. It's better left as sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    I'm actually kind of glad they're not doing the 3D makeover. I'm not a fan of Akira Toriyama's artwork at ALL. It's better left as sprites.
    I agree. When ever I see Toriyama's work in anything I can automatically be like "Hey that looks like -random DBZ person" which really kills everything. Every time I looked at Chrono I thought like, Irish Goku and Marle was Bulma, and Ironically so was Lucca. Then Frog in his human form was Trunks, and Magus was vegeta. What's worse is that if it wasn't for the fact they had SLIGHTLY different styles of clothes, if you just looked at head shots and changed the color of their hair, they would all be identicle.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    I agree. When ever I see Toriyama's work in anything I can automatically be like "Hey that looks like -random DBZ person" which really kills everything. Every time I looked at Chrono I thought like, Irish Goku and Marle was Bulma, and Ironically so was Lucca. Then Frog in his human form was Trunks, and Magus was vegeta. What's worse is that if it wasn't for the fact they had SLIGHTLY different styles of clothes, if you just looked at head shots and changed the color of their hair, they would all be identicle.
    Yeah, I'm not too much of a fan of his work because everything he draws looks exactly the same, but I mainly just wanted voices and more personality in the characters. Especially wanted to see Frog draw the Masamune in 3D.

Seriously, tell me that's not freakin' epic!
    placeholder_text.jpeg

I actually though it was The World Ends With You and the upcoming Last Remenants that REdeemed Square, not the remakes, but thats just me.

And all I really want are a few more double and Triple techs in this game.

Hell, if there was ever a Chrono Cross remake or port, I would demand more double techs. No way in hell it sits well with me that Trigger and its 7 characters had more double techs then Cross and it's what, 20 some odd characters?

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    The few new features they're adding don't justify the inevitable $40 price tag, especially when SE had the option of releasing it on virtual console for much cheaper. Maybe SE will surprise us and release it at budget price but I seriously doubt it.

Point is, ports like this are pretty much the same thing SE has been doing for a while now. I'm surprised people (and not just people here, it's like this on every RPG board I've been to) are viewing this one in a more optimistic light.
    I'm optimistic, because I love this freaking game. I had to play it on the crappy PS port. Which was awful. It made it unbearable to get through a single playthrough with its incredible loading and saving times. Yes, it does matter. As for finding one on the SNES thats not going to happen, and if I'm going to rebuy this game, I wouldn't mind having something a little extra tbh.

Its mainly for fanboys. :P

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I actually though it was The World Ends With You and the upcoming Last Remenants that REdeemed Square, not the remakes, but thats just me.
    Yeah. Jeez. It really hurts my head when people complain about companies like Capcom and Square re-releasing and rehashing old games in an attempt to just harvest money. It would be one thing if they were just money-grubbing without giving back anything decent, but for these 2 companies it's not the case. Here are some upcoming non-sequel, non-franchise (and non-cel phone :P) games from Square-Enix that would likely be impossible to properly fund without the continuous income of their rereleases:

Nanashi no Game - DS (came out today in JP, horror game)
    Infinite Undiscovery - PS360
    The Last Remnant - 360
    Sigma Harmonics - DS (Mystery RPG)

Sure, some of you folks may not be interested in any of these, or in The World Ends With You, but that's okay. Square relies on you to buy all their sure-shots so they can continue to make more unique games (or at least recoup some development costs) for those that do want more from them. I vastly prefer this strategy to Atari's, where DBZ is basically all that's keeping them (barely) afloat.

I don't mind if game companies keep 'taking', however shameless it may appear (it is business after all), as long as they 'give' something worthwhile back once in a while.

One thing I don't agree with though, is how Squenix DS games are $10 more than all other 3rd party games, or $5 more than Nintendo's own top quality games. Since there aren't any particularly significant enhancements to Chrono Trigger (like being in 3D), I really hope they don't add their normal 'tax' to the title.

The Akira Toriyama artwork is one of the reasons I abruptly stopped playing Dragon Quest VIII. It's downright awful to look at in my opinion.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I hope they give Magus some double-techs.

Akira Toriyama's characters look fine the first time you see his work. After that, though, you just see three different characters wearing new cloths and hairstyles. I don't know why Japan is so crazy about him.

EDIT: First image of Chrono Trigger DS revealed - DS Fanboy
    Last edited by Roto13; 07-03-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I'm pretty sure Japan doesn't like him just because of his art :P just that his art is easily recognizable. It's all about Dragon Ball and by extension, Dragon Quest. 'Japan' practically grew up with those two franchises, so having Toriyama's art on anything that isn't already related to those two is counting on tugging those nostalgic heartstrings.

When you think of characters he's made, you likely think the most about 'Hero' characters or certain villains, generally people who should be relatively conservative in design so to appeal easier to a broader audience. I feel his personal style shines through when he's not confined having to make something look 'normal', particularly his Monster designs. He's a very creative guy when it comes to that, and I think he probably prefers drawing Monsters where he can do whatever he wants rather than humanoid heroes who have to look a certain way.

I think his art is just overexposed, and I can see how people can get bored of it or even be repelled by it. I still like it.
    Last edited by JKTrix; 07-03-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    I hope they give Magus some double-techs.
    I hope they don't actually. I always liked that he couldn't really do things with your team unless you used a rock. Seemed more fitting with his character and how he was really only helping you begrudgingly.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I love this comic!

xD!!!!

That is so awesome. I love the subtlety of the clock and everything. xD