Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This game gets kinda....WTF?

Default This game gets kinda....WTF?

I just re-opened this one since I still haven't beat it. FF IX is kinda hilarious and odd and yet lovable. The character design is beyond ridiculous (Hippo-people running through Alexandria?), the serious moments are almost still funny (Okay Garnet cuts her hair and becomes different? Maybe I should try that...) and then I love the FF I references, they really make my day.

Honestly I can't tell if this is one of my favorites or more confusing than X-2, but I love it. Can't wait to play the last disc! (I'm at the end of 3 now)

Hippo people bother you, but fluffy pink things with wings and giant yellow chickens don't? That's the real WTF my friend.

And it's called sybolism.

A change in ones physical being is a very common and effective way to symbolize a change in the persons mental or emotional being..

And how is this game at all confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Hippo people bother you, but fluffy pink things with wings and giant yellow chickens don't? That's the real WTF my friend.

And it's called sybolism.

A change in ones physical being is a very common and effective way to symbolize a change in the persons mental or emotional being..

And how is this game at all confusing?
    I like it besides the hippo-folk which confuse and infuriate me!

The giant yellow chickens are tradition, it's just something there, and so are the moogles, they're just established. I haven't seen any hippo-folk in any games. I liked the character design in this one but it got goofy at times.

It's just that a lot of things seem to come from nowhere in the character design. Though I like the humor it just seems some moments should've been more serious.
    "Day and night divided, two worlds torn apart, standing in the shadows, wondering where you are. This is my confession, this is my heart burning down, giving out and taking me over. So far away, I don't know where I am, so hard to take, you slip right through my hands. So much left upspoken, unopened, I'm broken, I'll be waiting here for you..." Thrillseekers 'Waiting Here For You' (Currently stuck in my head!)

Any moment in that game that should have been serious was. What moments do you think weren't serious enough?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can see what you mean, but I love the fact that not everyone is strictly human.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

The many inhuman characters helped liven the game up for me, make it vivid and life-affirmative. To be honest, it was a mild disappointment to me that not more games in the series had used this.

I agree I was glad non humans came back after FFVIII.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBuster88 View Post
    I agree I was glad non humans came back after FFVIII.
    There have been non-humans since FF I. Far before VIII. Each game had it's own level of non-humans, especially if you count the monsters (which are in essence non-humans). As far as human like non-humans in towns, they have still been done. FF IX was the only one to really put forth effort to make the world's towns inhabited by more then just a billion humans and about 5 other total other persons non-human.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    The many inhuman characters helped liven the game up for me, make it vivid and life-affirmative. To be honest, it was a mild disappointment to me that not more games in the series had used this.
    I agree. I really liked the non-human characters myself. I thought it made the game more interesting and varied. There's a lot of attempts at different cultures in the series at large, but I felt that FFIX did it rather successfully with clear differences between Alexandria, Burmecia, Lindblum, Treno and Cleyra on the Mist Continent alone.

Also yeah, the whole haircutting thing was a rather nice and symbolic scene. The haircutting itself was only a way of showing that Garnet has become her own woman and is not being controlled by people such as Kuja or her mother any longer.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really love this game and the non-humans as well. Even the summoners with their horns just made it much more fascinating.

This has to be one of my favorite Final Fantasies. There's such an amazing storyline, and it's really intoxicating. It just draws you in, you know? And there's such a moral in it. Being your own person, and leadership, and finding things out for yourself.

Lets face it: humans are boring.

Seriously though, I dont see why anyone would have a problem with hippo people... I just dont get how it could detract from the experience, seeing as their role is very minor. Anyway, I love non-humans.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

the whole series is like sex and ff9 is the orgasm

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    the whole series is like sex and ff9 is the orgasm
    That is easily the greatest quote I have ever read in my life.
    This space intentionally left blank.

you have obviously never watched ricky gervais live and heard about his favorite leaflet