Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What religion are you!?

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    And for some advice that should not be taken the wrong way, go watch the movie "zeitgeist" either on youtube or wherever, It is the only video I have ever seen that can and does, for a fact, prove christianity (and other religions related and not) as 100% wrong. (only in the religious section of the movie, of course)

EDIT: Start with this part if you are interested in watching. YouTube - Zeitgeist - The Movie - 2 of 13 (Part 1 of 3 on Religion)
    Speaking as a student of religious studies, I have to say that it is far from being a documentary. I did not bother to watch it all because I was so disgusted at what they tried to pass as true. If you want I can point out a number of their inaccuracies. There is obvious mutual influences between religions but they way it is presented there is ridiculous. I'll not say more lest this becomes a rant about it.

As for my own religious beliefs, I tend to be more spiritual. My beliefs in the divine could be categorized close to Neo-Pagan or Wiccan, though I am not practicing. I am a monist at heart though I chose to worship the divine as feminine. I am also panentheist (one who believes that the divine is present in everything) though borderline pantheist, I kinda slide between the two.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, if pressed, I would say I'm atheistic, but that I think something is going on. I don't know what. I don't propose to know what. But I was serious earlier when I said G'Kar has influenced me strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kar
    If I take a lamp and shine toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth, for understanding. Too often we assume the light on the wall is God, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search, who does not bring a lantern with him, sees nothing. What we perceive as God is the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light, pure and unblemished. Not understanding that it comes from us, sometimes, we stand in front of the light and assume we are the center of the universe. God looks astonishingly like we do. Or we turn to look at our shadow and assume all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose - which is use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and all it flaws, and in so doing, better understand the world around us.
    *shrugs* I don't know what's going on in the universe and I won't proclaim to. If there is a God, or some pantheon of Gods, I would have to presume that they are so far beyond me that attempts to comprehend them just won't work without some direct observation or input on their part.

I will say this though: I agree with G'Kar when he said "We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out". I agree with G'Kar when he says "Our thoughts form the universe. They are always important". That which is is important. That which feels is precious. But that which thinks, that which creates and dreams and builds? That is some far greater thing.

The universe, as far as I can see, came from a single point and has spread out to increasing complexity, always increasing complexity, and always doing so faster. The first stars took billions of years to live and die. The next generation, with the heavy elements needed for life and civilization, took as long. But life didn't take as long to arise, and from the creation of life to intelligent life was again much shorter, and from intelligent life to each of its many inventions is faster and faster. We are the complexity of the universe and we are adding to its complexity every day. God is not our origin, it is our future. And we are hurtling towards our future faster than people realize,
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 07-15-2008 at 05:25 AM.

I believe that Progressive Christianity is the best term to describe my religious belief. I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church but no longer hold to that type of Christian tradition.

I'm nothing right now. I believe in God, I'm just not a fan of organized religion.

i'm giving up,
    on the entire human race....

Articles
    Blog Entries

Basic Theism popular here, huh? Good, seems like a healthy and reasonble way to go.

Oooh, interesting topic so far.

Personally, I don't know what I am. I was raised Southern Baptist, but over time, i've drifted off from Christianity into the grey, blurry ether of Agnosticism. I still attend church with my family, but my heart's not always in it. Plus our pastor is kind of wack. xD

Do I believe in God? Yes, very much so. Am I religious? No, not really.

I believe, and I know that this'll sound a bit nihilstic & cynical, that humanity's search for the origin and meaning of life is a frutiless effort. Religion and Science are the extreme ends of the same spectrum, and while both have their believers and their convictions, I believe that neither holds the key to discovering life's deepest quesions.

That's why I believe that we all have to discover our own personal truths and make our own conclusions. You should never let others do the thinking for you; you have to discover the personal meaning to your own life. Books and teaching and preaching, in my belief, don't solve life's mystery, nor does science and facts and figures. To me, life is a giant jumbled mess of logic and emotion and questions. No one can tell you why you are here or who you are, you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Also, alot of you know that i'm a total astrology nerd. Don't think for a second that I believe astrology is the end-all be-all of life's questions. I've found that I click with what alot of astrology does for me. But don't get me started, 'cause that's another topic for another day. xD

So yeah...That's my religion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dynast-Kid View Post

Personally, I don't know what I am. I was raised Southern Baptist, but over time, i've drifted off from Christianity into the grey, blurry ether of Agnosticism. I still attend church with my family, but my heart's not always in it. Plus our pastor is kind of wack. xD

I believe, and I know that this'll sound a bit nihilstic & cynical, that humanity's search for the origin and meaning of life is a frutiless effort. Religion and Science are the extreme ends of the same spectrum, and while both have their believers and their convictions, I believe that neither holds the key to discovering life's deepest quesions.

That's why I believe that we all have to discover our own personal truths and make our own conclusions. You should never let others do the thinking for you; you have to discover the personal meaning to your own life. Books and teaching and preaching, in my belief, don't solve life's mystery, nor does science and facts and figures. To me, life is a giant jumbled mess of logic and emotion and questions. No one can tell you why you are here or who you are, you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Also, alot of you know that i'm a total astrology nerd. Don't think for a second that I believe astrology is the end-all be-all of life's questions. I've found that I click with what alot of astrology does for me. But don't get me started, 'cause that's another topic for another day. xD

Let's make hick analbabies, Dynast, for you amaze me!

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynast-Kid View Post

Let's make hick analbabies, Dynast, for you amaze me!
    Anytime, babeh!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm a God fearing Athiest.

Flying Spaghetti Monsterism.

It had to be said.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I believe there is more to life than just living and then dying. I think there's something beyond death. I just think there's more. More of what, I can't say.

I do go to a Presbyterian church every Sunday. Mostly cause I love seeing my family every week, and also for the food.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My religion is to have as much fun as possible with friends and family. I'm not necessarily striving to make a positive difference in the world, but I'm dead set on not making a negative difference. Of course, I'm talking small scale here, I don't plan to invent a justice machine or anything.
    Last edited by Levian; 07-15-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin hi devil man!

I hold absolutely no dogmatic views whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    I hold absolutely no dogmatic views whatsoever.
    Oh no! There's azn's in my Topic!

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Protestant, evangelic.

I also partly believe in evolution.(beginning is bull though)

Its not black or white, I believe the two are intertwined. Does it not answer the how, instead of the if?

One must look at the facts, and fill up the rest with faith.