Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: What religion are you!?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    That's not exactly deism, is it? I'd rather call it a blend of theism and agnosticism. Agnostheism.
    Theism and agnosticism are contradictory, since theism is the affirmation of a belief in a god, and agnosticism makes no such affirmation (making it a subset of atheism - a lack of theism). Deism is a subset of theism that has been considered a non-sectarian, non-organizational theism, so yeah, I would consider him lumped into that category.
    I wouldn't be so quick to lump him into any category, actually. It's naturally hard to classify someone's views by such a broad statement; he stated his belief on two points only: the existence and nature of a deity. This is why I would call it a blend of theism and agnosticism—his belief is theistic in that he believes there is something (which I take as meaning a deity of sorts) and agnostic (in a broader sense than the strictly religious meaning) in that he is unsure of it's nature.

Wikipedia apparently has an article on Agnostic theism. I should think that is the term we are looking for:
    An agnostic theist can also be classified as someone who believes in a god yet does not understand how God or deities work.
    Deism, on the other hand, is somewhat narrower:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Deism
    Critical elements of deist thought included:

• Rejection of all religions based on books that claim to contain the revealed word of God.
    • Rejection of reports of miracles, prophecies and religious "mysteries".
    • Rejection of the Genesis account of creation and the doctrine of original sin, along with all similar beliefs.
    • Rejection of Judaism, Christianity, Islam and other religious beliefs.

Constructive elements of deist thought included:

• God exists and created the universe.
    • God wants human beings to behave morally.
    • Human beings have souls that survive death; that is, there is an afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    I believe in nothing. So Atheist.

Though I'm working on getting into the habit of telling the Bible Humping Recruiters that frequent in my store, that I believe in the Norse gods, and can't except their illegal soliciting of literature on their religion, because Odin would strike us both down.

Sadly no one has come in since I had that idea.
    I am soooo trying that next time the Mormons come around.

I'm Agnostic and I never even read the bible. But I'm leaning towards the Atheist road though.. Watching Jesus Camp made me feel... Weird.
    I <3 Monkey Boys.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by capricious View Post
    I'm Agnostic and I never even read the bible. But I'm leaning towards the Atheist road though.. Watching Jesus Camp made me feel... Weird.
    That is the dark side of Christianity there. I'll be the first to say not all Christians are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    That is the dark side of Christianity there. I'll be the first to say not all Christians are like that.
    As someone with no religion I will back up that statement. I've met my fair share of good and bad Christians. If it weren't for the good ones I'd probably not be friends with about 3/4 of everyone I know.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Jesus Camp is hilarious. I've seen it twice.

Wiccan ^^

Trust No one