Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight (Mark ALL Spoilers!)

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I cannot go to see it during the weekend due to busy schedule, but I WILL be seeing this on Monday. Bale + Ledger who's far better than Nicholson = yes.
    Much better. Nicholson's joker was more funny but Ledgers joker is genuinely scary.
    Ok, Heath Ledger's Joker is far better, but that does not mean Ledger is better than Nicholson. Come on, now; Nicholson is very good at scary (have you seen the original The Shining?).

I just got back from it, and it is indeed great.

As seemingly impossible as it was for that movie to live up to its hype, it somehow did. Absolutely perfect.

(SPOILER)There are a bazillion different directions to go now. I honestly didn't expect Two-Face to die in this one, and in fact thought he'd be trashed at the end of the movie to take up his role as vigilante in the third film. Nolan certainly won't stand for any gimmick villains, plus I think introducing the Riddler would be too similar to the Joker. The Penguin, perhaps (with Philip Seymour Hoffman as the only suitable actor), but I suppose we'll see. I think Nolan said Penguin would be tricky. Anarky, perhaps?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

That. Was. Smurfing. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    That. Was. Smurfing. Brilliant.
    Indeed.

I saw it and I loved every minute of it. Ledger was definitely a wonderful Joker, doing the part perfectly and honestly was the best version of the Joker to date from every media combined.

They really hit it right for just how twisted the Joker was, complete sociopath with a hint of utter genius, who leaves you guessing every second what he's got going next, or just how he's going to do it.

Big Spoilers Below
    (SPOILER)I was a bit sad they killed Two Face so early in the series, I get why they did and agree when they did it, but it still would have been Nice for a little more Two Face action seeing as he was one of the better villains of the series. Regardless his time as Two Face was well spent and he nailed that character down well I think.

I liked how they threw Scarecrow in there at the start. It gave the movie a kind of classic Batman feel as he fights the lesser villains while they do some minor crime and catches them. I was a bit confused early on with the Batman clones and them saying them (and I think they might have been also referring to Scarecrow as well which is what got me) were just trying to help him.

I'm depressed now though because the Joker lives on, but Heath Ledger is dead, and I don't want them to try and recast him, I don't think they could even find someone half as good as Ledger. I'm somewhat curious what the direction of the next movie will be.

Oh and I loved the Pencil Trick, I think someone should download the movie and turn that into an animated gif. XD

All in all I'd say the best movie I've ever seen, and I'll definitely be seeing it again once or twice more in theaters.
    This space intentionally left blank.

I'm going to go see it tonight! I'll be back with my thoughts after that!

(SPOILER)I liked when the semi went all flippy

(-o-)

-tie fighter

My only complaints with it were these:

• Maggie Gyllenhaal. Her Rachel didn't at all remind me of Katie Holmes' Rachel, and they didn't do a very good job of making her look similar. I hate recasts in general though, so wuteva.
    • (SPOILER)I'd read a few reviewers specifically comparing this movie to Hamlet because Bruce undergoes such inner-turmoil about his role in the city with the Joker's killings. There really was hardly any Bruce Wayne in this movie though. This was The Joker's and Batman's movie. I would've liked to see more Bruce.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post

• Maggie Gyllenhaal. Her Rachel didn't at all remind me of Katie Holmes' Rachel, and they didn't do a very good job of making her look similar. I hate recasts in general though, so wuteva.
    • (SPOILER)I'd read a few reviewers specifically comparing this movie to Hamlet because Bruce undergoes such inner-turmoil about his role in the city with the Joker's killings. There really was hardly any Bruce Wayne in this movie though. This was The Joker's and Batman's movie. I would've liked to see more Bruce.
    • While recasts are rarely good thins, Maggie Gyllenhall was a terrible choice to replace Katie Holmes. At risk of sounding like a pig, my biggest problem with Maggie Gyllenhall is that she's nowhere near as attractive. She did a fine job playing Rachel (let's be honest, there's not an awful lot to that character beyond being the love interest), but she didn't fit the role at all, and I think a big part of it is that she looks about twenty years older than she actually is.
    • (SPOILER)This point didn't actually bother me overly much. I've never been particularly interested in Bruce Wayne's character. Sure, he's the billionaire playboy, but he was never a particularly interesting billionaire playboy. If I wanted to go see an interesting superhero alter ego, I usually turn to Peter Parker, although Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark earlier this summer was fairly fantastic. I think focusing on Batman and the Joker was appropriate for The Dark Knight, but that's just because I think Bruce Wayne's character has always been a bit stale.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I want to see it now that everyone's saying how great it is That, and I've always liked Batman

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Like they said in the first movie (SPOILER)Bruce Wayne is the act. Batman is much closer to the real Bruce Wayne than the public image he puts on, though that said, he's really only truly himself with the people who know who he is. As such I didn't mind that he spent a lot of time in the suit. I felt they portrayed all aspects of Bruce well yet again.

Anyway, saw it last night and it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Heath definitely deserves an Oscar. I think his performance even topped Mark Hamill's portrayal of the Joker. He was just so sadistic, and simply reveled in it the whole time. He was everything I imagine the Joker should be. Bale and Eckhart were amazing as well, not to mention Cain and Freeman, but The Joker was going to be the make or break performance for me, especially considering the last film portrayal was Nichelson's god awful take on him.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Saw it last night, and it blew my mind.

My heart was racing the entire movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Like they said in the first movie (SPOILER)Bruce Wayne is the act. Batman is much closer to the real Bruce Wayne than the public image he puts on, though that said, he's really only truly himself with the people who know who he is. As such I didn't mind that he spent a lot of time in the suit. I felt they portrayed all aspects of Bruce well yet again.
    (SPOILER)You're missing my point. I understand the philosophy of Bruce Wayne being a facade for his identity as the Batman. Why does the fact that it's simply a cover-up lend to the idea that his superhero side should be explored almost exclusively and his life as Bruce should be nearly cast aside? I liked all the scenes in Batman Begins that showed him struggling to lead a double-life, and when I heard that his portrayal of Bruce Wayne was "Hamlet-like" in The Dark Knight, I expected them to explore his inner turmoil more. I'm not heartbroken that they didn't, it was just a minor complaint of mine.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)You're missing my point. I understand the philosophy of Bruce Wayne being a facade for his identity as the Batman. Why does the fact that it's simply a cover-up lend to the idea that his superhero side should be explored almost exclusively and his life as Bruce should be nearly cast aside? I liked all the scenes in Batman Begins that showed him struggling to lead a double-life, and when I heard that his portrayal of Bruce Wayne was "Hamlet-like" in The Dark Knight, I expected them to explore his inner turmoil more. I'm not heartbroken that they didn't, it was just a minor complaint of mine.
    (SPOILER)Except I feel they managed to portray a lot more of his personal feelings without him ever having to say a word or get out of costume. Scenes like him interrogating the Joker or racing towards him on the street showed a lot of his struggle to maintain control and not succumb to his desire to kill the Joker while the woman he loved was in danger. Most of his scenes with Alfred showed his feelings about his burden of responsibility with regards to creating the situation with the Joker. You may think there wasn't much there, but I felt they covered Bruce's feelings as much as they could without constantly re-treading the same ground multiple times throughout the movie. What characterization was there was moving and didn't spend the whole movie dancing around the same subjects until they got old. I suppose that's all personal taste though.

katie holmes is such a noob actress though, whereas maggie was rock-em-sock-em-robots pretty much start to finish

(-o-)

-tie fighter

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Christian Bale is so cool. Batman is so cool. I want to see The Dark Knight again. =O