Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight (Mark ALL Spoilers!)

Yes. That was hilarious. <3

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

About RobinRobin can't be in a crib. They showed Barbara and she was probably like eight, so Robin's gotta be about the same age. Still way too young to be coming up soon though.

Articles

This movie was fantastic. As everyone has already pointed out, Heath Ledger reinvented the role of The Joker entirely. In leaving out his past and origins, I believe him to be an absolute villain who is truly psycho. I really love the scene (SPOILER)where Bruce and Alfred try to decipher what the Joker's motives are with this brilliant quote:

Alfred: And in their desperation they turned to a man they didn't fully understand. Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Incredible acting, a brilliant script, and very well directed. Immediately leaving the movie I thought that this movie and villain can't be beaten. I can't see them doing any better.

P.S. - Warwick Davis as the next Penguin.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah, Warwick Davis would be too gimmicky.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Media By Numbers' OFFICIAL DARK KNIGHT RECORDS SO FAR (in order of occurrence):

1 - LARGEST NUMBER OF OPENING THEATRES WITH 4,366 (MORE THAN THE 4,362 DEBUT THEATRES OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END IN 2007).

2 - BIGGEST MIDNIGHT PREVIEW GROSS WITH $18.489 MILLION IN 3,040 THEATRES (BEATS STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH AND ITS $16.9 MILLION IN 2,915 THEATRES IN 2005).

3 - BIGGEST IMAX MIDNIGHT PREVIEWS SET AN NEW RECORD WITH $640,000 (INCLUDED IN THE $18.489 MILLION PREVIEW NUMBER).

4 - BIGGEST SINGLE-DAY GROSS IN BOX-OFFICE HISTORY WITH $67.850 MILLION (BESTS THE $59,841,919 SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007).

5 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND GROSS IN BOX OFFICE HISTORY WITH $158.3 MILLION (BESTS THE $151,116 MILLION SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007).

6 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND GROSS FOR AN IMAX RELEASE IN BOX OFFICE HISTORY WITH $6,214,061 MILLION IN 94 THEATRES WITH $66,107 PER THEATRE. (BESTS THE $4.7 MILLION SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007.) IMAX SHOWING AT FULL CAPACITY $1.9 MILLION ON SATURDAY ALONE.

7 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND OF 2008 WITH $158.3 MILLION (BEATS INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL'S $101.137 MILLION FROM MAY 23-25, 2008)

8 - BIGGEST JULY OPENING EVER (BEATS PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST'S $135,634,554 ON JULY 7, 2006).

Really, this is just an excuse for me to post this gif:

Suck it, Spidey!

Articles

You would be to gimmicky.

Nolan would never go in that direction we all know *sigh*

Did you make that one yourself? Because it's genius.
    Last edited by Shlup; 07-22-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Double post?! You drunk, CD?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

To Shlup about RobinNolan said it. He said that robin was out there in a crib somewhere. Don't hate the messenger D:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know he said it, but he said it wrong, dammit!

Also, Miriel's GIF = lulz.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I saw it last night.

I'm going to see it again.

How can they say that the movie business is in trouble when these records are broken like every six months? :P

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anyone who says that is in the business of making romantic comedies. I'm sure of it.

PEOPLE ARE GETTING WISE TO YOU, JENNIFER ANISTON!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just got back from it, a fine film in every respect. Exceeded expectations, and went in unexpected directions, as a great movie should.

Fine direction, acting, and effects.

As my flatmate pointed out, the movie's very much about (SPOILER)the rise and fall of Two-Face, with the Joker as more of a driving force who's propelling that particular plot. It's just that Mr Ledger's unfortunate death gave them an excellent angle to use in their publicity, distasteful though such a practice may be, since he turned in such a brilliant and unique performance.

I'm glad to have avoided all spoilers for this film. I never knew Two-Face would rise to actual villainhood in this film, rather I was expecting him to be set up as the next film's nemesis. I also would never have expected Rachel to die. It definitely made the Joker's life-or-death games more real and hard-hitting to Wayne, and of course it was critical to Dent's transformation. However, and this may seem strange, I found Aaron Eckhart's performances one of the weaker parts of the film. Not that I think acted poorly, not by any means - but despite the queasily realistic burn effects, his voice, sight, and body language didn't change much in response. He was more like a guy with prosthetics, than a guy with horrific burns. Still, this didn't exactly detract from the film in any significant way.

I guess there's no avoiding mention of Heath Ledger as the Joker, though, and that was definitely as strong a performance as people have been saying. Extremely convincing detail on the mannerisms and voice, the sadism and masochism. Particularly creepy was how he made the clown-smile makeup itself seem to 'come to life', as though it was actually a part of his face.
    I've got to disagree with the people who are saying he can never be replaced in the role, though. I'm convinced the mask could be taken up by a replacement - there are other actors out there who could perform just as brilliantly in that role. Thanks to the amount of makeup and prosthetics, the differences in face structure could be hidden easily enough, especially if he's just given longer hair or something. The crucial factor, though, will be getting someone who can play the Joker - not someone who'll just try to mimic Heath Ledger as the Joker. Copying another actor's style won't work; they'll have to bring the character to life through their own inspiration, but without deviating from the standard that's been set. If they can achieve that, then we can see hope to see 'the same' Joker in future.

Unless, of course, George Lucas gets involved somehow - in which case we can expected to see a CG Heath Ledger. God forbid.

Speaking of Lucas... did anyone else feel that Maggie Gyllenhaal looked exactly like a young Carrie Fisher in this movie? In looks and voice, she was nearly a precise match. If George Lucas loses his final marbles and decides to re-make Star Wars entirely, I reckon we can expect Gyllenhaal to be there.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

A lot of your spoiler isn't a spoiler. xD

I disagree that Ledger's death was used for any sort of publicity. The Joker was being pimped since the moment Batman Begins was released because Joker is simply a fan favorite. When I saw his card in the end of the first film, I squee'd out loud in the theater. I didn't see the level of pimping him change at all after his death.

And I agree that they can find another Joker, it's just painful to think about because Ledger did such an epic job. He embodied the Joker in a way that fans couldn't even dream of. It'll be hard to swallow someone else (that's what she said) until that person is actually seen in action.

And, bah, don't mention George Lucas in this thread. It's like kriptonite.

OK a few things:
    (SPOILER)Two-Face is dead. Uhm, I'm quite sure Batman did not fall, he was holding on to the ledge. So people that are saying it makes no sense that he survived the same fall. I'd be severely disappointed if they brought him back, because it would defeat the entire ending of the movie, with Batman taking the blame for everything.

now here is a question my friends and I wondered about, and were commenting on during the movie... but never got answered.
    (SPOILER)The boats... when we first saw the detonators, we assumed they blew up the opposite boat. But then we thought they probably blew up the boat they were on, because the Joker is twisted like that. You go to save yourself, but end up killing yourself instead. And if they blew up the other boat, then they'd live. If it blew up their own boat, they could both kill themselves. We figured that's the more likely scenario, but we never actually found out.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    OK a few things:
    (SPOILER)Two-Face is dead. Uhm, I'm quite sure Batman did not fall, he was holding on to the ledge. So people that are saying it makes no sense that he survived the same fall. I'd be severely disappointed if they brought him back, because it would defeat the entire ending of the movie, with Batman taking the blame for everything.
    (SPOILER)Bruce definitely fell, but he survived due to being a muscle-bound badass, wearing everything-proof body armour and trained by ninjas. He still got hurt, but he's good at not getting hurt by stuff that'd munt a normal person beyond repair. And Dent was just out of hospital, physically and mentally damaged by what he'd been through...
    now here is a question my friends and I wondered about, and were commenting on during the movie... but never got answered.
    (SPOILER)The boats... when we first saw the detonators, we assumed they blew up the opposite boat. But then we thought they probably blew up the boat they were on, because the Joker is twisted like that. You go to save yourself, but end up killing yourself instead. And if they blew up the other boat, then they'd live. If it blew up their own boat, they could both kill themselves. We figured that's the more likely scenario, but we never actually found out.
    Quite possible, but then there's no way to know really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlup
    A lot of your spoiler isn't a spoiler. xD
    Sure, but I figured I'd just tag the whole thing - except the George Lucas part - to avoid any risks.
    I disagree that Ledger's death was used for any sort of publicity.
    I agree with you for the most part, but the trailers for the film - and the coverage by news media and other third-parties - have been all about Ledger/Joker, with barely a mention of (SPOILER)Dent/Two-Face being in the movie.

:edit: I was going to mention it in my original post, but damn - Michael Caine was, as always, awesome in this movie. Great acting and great dialogue. If I was rich and powerful, I'd want a butler like him.