Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456781222 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread 2008-2009 Season

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Fulham | Johnson on verge of Fulham move

Oh bloody hell.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Everton | Everton bid for Moutinho rejected

At least we're showing some ambition by going after a player like that, but when we already need at least one striker other striker, selling the likes of Johnson isn't good. I trust Moyes, I really do, but I also trust my instincts that we need at least five or six new players and I don't see us buying them if we're looking at spending £18m on one player. Where the hell has the money from the McFadden transfer gone?
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I think £12m is a good deal for Andy Johnson, and it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement for him. It's odd that you haven't been linked with many people over the summer though, so either Moyes is playing his cards cose to his chest or he's content with the squad he has. I'm assuming it's the former, since your squad has a frightening lack of depth, and the club won't move forward until that's addressed.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's the budget constraints that worry me though. It is good business and it's a healthy profit made on him, but with the money we have or haven't got, I'm unsure as to whether or not we can find a replacement or two for Johnson with the money we've got. Our defence is fine, but we certainly aren't the most prolific of goalscoring teams. Unless you're Sunderland or SK Brann.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

If Everton did land Moutinho that would be an extremely good buy for them.

Apparently we're on the verge of signing Craig Bellamy Mark 2, aka Robbie Keane. Upon signing he will probably undergo the standard Liverpool striker training of being locked in a room for 12 hours while people chant "You will only score 8 goals in a season" at him. Still, even if he isn't prolific (and he probably won't be!) I think he could be a good foil for good ol' Fernando.

Andy wasn't exactly a goal machine for you though, Heath. What was it last year, five goals? Obviously Anichebe or Vaughan are a downgrade, but if the £12m gets you Moutinho, you might find that the better service from midfield makes you a more dangerous attacking force than you were last season. I'm not convinced of that myself, but I do think that Moyes is shrewd enough to have a striker lined up as a replacement. It might have to be someone cheap, but in terms of value for money it might be the right way to go.

EDIT: It saddens me to say this, but Robbie Keane is good enough to go to Liverpool and not suck. I really hope I'm wrong, because he was annoying enough at Spurs without us having to worry about his goals actually posing a threat to our league position.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

10 goals in 30 games, apparently. League and cup. I suppose he wasn't a goal machine, but Johnson had a bad season last season. He was excellent the season before. I suppose I'd just like Everton to play some more attacking football sometimes because too often I see us get draws in games we could win if we were better going forward. If we get more firepower up front, I shan't miss Johnson too much, but my worry is that we won't. Anichebe is good, I think, but as good as Johnson at the moment. And Vaughan is definitely promising, but spends too much time on the sidelines with injuries.

Articles

I think £19m is a bit much for a player aged 28. But oh well, he is still a good addition. Rather him than Gareth Barry. I think one more signing - a top class winger (don't care which flank) - would be enough for me and enough to achieve the dream of finishing ahead of Arsenal.

EDIT: Huh. Ngog thread on a Liverpool forum I lurk at is longer than the Keane thread. Some think he is the second coming of Henry/Anelka/Benzema, others think he is the second coming of Anthony Le Tallec.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, the difference between being called the second coming of Benzema/Henry and the second coming of Anelka...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

No way does Benzema get a second coming yet. Until he proves himself in a real league, he hasn't even had his first. :rolleyes2

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    No way does Benzema get a second coming yet. Until he proves himself in a real league, he hasn't even had his first. :rolleyes2
    To be fair, having watched him in the Champion's League, that guy is freaking good. And he's only 20! Doesn't care for the PL though, so he'll probably go to La Liga. Gay.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    EDIT: Huh. Ngog thread on a Liverpool forum I lurk at is longer than the Keane thread. Some think he is the second coming of Henry/Anelka/Benzema, others think he is the second coming of Anthony Le Tallec.
    Ngog is Boumsong's cousin.

edit: crap. You already posted that. I completely missed it.

ok now just laugh at us for doncaster.

Articles

I like to think they have "Who has the silliest name?" contests at family reunions.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think £19m is a bit much for a player aged 28. But oh well, he is still a good addition. Rather him than Gareth Barry.
    19 million is a huge ammount for a 28 year old, but I believe Robbie will do well at Anfield.

Seriously, Spurs look very strong. Ramos i'd imagine will have sorted out the spurs mess that is their defence, and made their attack even more deadly with Bentley & Modric now equiped, even without the exception of Keane. I expect a strong surge towards the top come the opening weekends of the season.

Str8 Pimpin'

Keane is a loss for them, but in all other departments Spurs are looking much stronger than last season. If Ramos can teach them how to defend then they'll push the top four this time around. Bastards.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    Keane is a loss for them, but in all other departments Spurs are looking much stronger than last season. If Ramos can teach them how to defend then they'll push the top four this time around. Bastards.
    Oh please, it's bad enough listening to Spurs fans delude themselves year on year without having you give them ammunition like that!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"