Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 162630313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread 2008-2009 Season

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I was going to make a post on Saturday saying "Liverpool? Top of the league in May? Am I dreaming?!" but, well, you know.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Don't worry Liverpool fans, we'll hold Man Utd on Saturday...they'll win by no more than three goals I swear!

Good to see us manage to turn a dead rubber into an embarrassment on the weekend, I'm getting echoes of that 6-1 at Old Trafford a few years back for this Saturday. Newcastle might not even go down now, nothing is going right this year

Burnley v Sheffield United to see who gets into the Premiership next year. My money is on the latter.

And the Bundesliga this season looks set to go for the award for most absurdly exciting end to a season ever - four teams are separated by two points at the top with two games to go.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 05-13-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    So the referee was allegedly for Barcelona, but him putting them a man down when they needed a goal 'doesn't count'? There is clearly a difference of opinion here, but my opinion doesn't involve an accusation with no evidence for said opinion whatsoever.
    Since when do I need evidence to say what I think? We have a differance of opinion, lets just leave it at that.

Fingers crossed for United to lift the trophey this weekend after the win against Wigan. Arsenal ironically did it to us on our home turf if I can recall properly!

Str8 Pimpin'

We did, in 2002.

EDIT: Leeds get to spend another year in Division Two/League One. What a shame!

EDIT 2: We couldn't get the win to take it to the final weekend but the performance was much improved today. If only we'd played a bit more like that in the two cup semi-finals. But then the problem this season in the league hasn't been playing Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool (there was last weekend but we're not the only team to lose 4-1 at home to a big rival this year after all), it was about all the points dropped against the rest of the league. Far too many games drawn at home, losing to Hull and Stoke etc. Liverpool will be left kicking themselves for all their draws at home, but it will be interesting to see if they can go one better next year.

The relegation scrap will be going to the final weekend at least. I think Hull will drop and Newcastle will survive. It'd be nice if by some miracle both went down though!
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 05-16-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Champions again

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Bye West Brom. They have some of the best fans in the Premiership imho.

Blog Entries

I was so looking forward to joining you guys next season too

there was a picture here

Articles

FFXIV Character

Hat-trick of titles, I'm very happy.

I thought West Brom really brought something to the premiership this season. Although relegated they can leave with their heads held high.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

And we'll probably see them in a couple of seasons anyway.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    And we'll probably see them in a couple of seasons anyway.
    Which is more than can be said for Newcastle if they go down maybe - well you never know I guess, but seeing as Division Two/League One next season will have five ex-Premiership teams in it relegation can really mess some teams up. I think West Brom will be back anyway.

In other news (sees everyone rapidly fall asleep), I see that England are getting their bid for the 2018/2022 World Cup (FIFA will decide both simultaneously) underway. The following countries are bidding:

2018 or 2022: Australia, England, Indonesia (!), Qatar (!!), Mexico, Russia, China, USA, Greece, Belgium/Holland, Portugal/Spain.

2022 only: Austria/Switzerland, Japan/South Korea (again?!)

I think 2018 will go to a European country (most likely England if they don't mess up their bid, Russia is too much of a logistical nightmare and FIFA dislike joint bids I think), and then 2022 will be in Australia or the USA. Would be nice to see the World Cup here with any luck.

It is now a famous Premier League tradition. The Brummie Yo-Yos. Too good for the Championship, too bad for the Premiership. WBA, Wolves & Birmingham City. Every season sees at least one get promoted or relegated. I think they need an all new division for themselves.

They could just call it the 'Birmingham and surrounding towns' division

Bye bye Newcastle! - the 'big club' will be playing Peterborough next year, I'll be found somewhere laughing my head off.

Hull City can consider themselves very lucky though, one win in 22 games or so, staying up with 35 points, they're only staying up because of the combined ineptitude of Newcastle and Middlesbrough. I'd say that Hull are the second worst team to survive a season in the Premiership (second only to Bradford in 2000).

Articles

FFXIV Character

Happy for Hull, and I laugh at Newcastle. I've never seen a club bring so much trouble upon itself and be the victom of it's own downfall.

Str8 Pimpin'

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

5th again, I am most pleased as that's the best we'll realistically manage in the League without a serious injection of funds. Fingers crossed for Saturday, naturally. Pleased Newcastle are gone. I'll look forward to visiting St. James' Park with my Plymouth supporting friend next season!
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.