Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101424 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football Thread 2008-2009 Season

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Perhaps they could just both even out into mediocrity and get themselves both relegated. Along with Liverpool, naturally.
    You'll be pleased to know a poll on the official Liverpool website entitled "Which team is the most likely to get relegated this season?" is headed by Stoke, Hull and Manchester United. Everton are in fourth place on the poll, just above West Brom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    It's not how often you lose, after all, but how often you win that counts. Draws are just another lot of points dropped from the tally.
    Drawing games that we should win is usually the reason Liverpool fail to really push for the title. I'm pretty chuffed we managed to get all three points yesterday.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Well Man Utd had a frustrating start last season, so I wouldn't read too much into this opening weekend. The press will go nuts over Chelsea though and already be trumpeting 'crisis at Man Utd!'
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Wicked, went to see Boro play on Saturday. Without being too biased, I thought we looked pretty good. Really solid at the back, the midfield looks fit and organised, and we look like we might actually score some goals upfront.

Pretty exciting times. I think the oldest player we have in our squad is 27, but hey!

I think Didier Digard is going to be a very good player. He only played for 20 minutes on Saturday, but in that time he looked very bright. Athletic, good vision and good passing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Well Man Utd had a frustrating start last season, so I wouldn't read too much into this opening weekend. The press will go nuts over Chelsea though and already be trumpeting 'crisis at Man Utd!'
    And that's the way it was always meant to be.

Admittedly, Chelsea did look very good. But anyone using evidence from this weekend as a measure of revolution/crisis at any club is being very hasty.

Loving the new seven man bench, by the way. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get some Havard this year.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Banned
    Blog Entries

John Terry for England captain! Glad Ferdinand didn't get it.

Man, that was a bad looking game that I'm not sure how England drew.

I really think Ashely Young deserves a real look, in place of Lampard who just doesn't do it on the International level. I like Joe Cole coming on as a second half sub, he brings energy and I think Walcott could do the same. The back line is still sort of odd to me. I think Micah Richards should be recalled, for one thing.

England's problem is and will continue to be, a lack of a true world-class striker. Rooney doesn't possess the all-around ability of say, Torres (But few in the world do) and his lack of size makes it tough to link-up with him. He tries very hard sure, but he needs someone else up there with him. Defoe is too much like Rooney, short attack-minded and not able to really create on his own, so I think Capello needs to use someone else, who contrasts Rooney in both size and ability.

I think once Hargreaves comes back to fitness, he should be back in the lineup, but the midfield continues to be a puzzle. Gerrard, who had his moments today, and Barry should stay. Young, like I said, deserves a shot and Beckham is still the best option there. Bentley needs to prove it still, he won't just be handed the starting spot.

As for goalie, I don't know. No one has really stood out lately. James, can still play, but he is still prone to the mind cramps.

Why not try perhaps a lineup like this:

James
    Richards Rio Terry
    Hargreaves
    Beckham Gerrard Barry Young
    Rooney Ashton

Bring on Joe Cole and Walcott as subs and perhaps a taller striker for the later stages.

Take care all.

Mikael Silvestre???

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

The big problem with England I believe is that because there is such a surplus of talent, the players are picked itself at times rather than players who suit best to play as a team. What England really needs is a quality holding midfield player to dictate play, something like an Essien or what Roy Keane was. Without, I not only think that they lack shape but also lack serious leadership.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    Mikael Silvestre???
    Bahahahaha. :laugh:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    England's problem is and will continue to be, a lack of a true world-class striker. Rooney doesn't possess the all-around ability of say, Torres (But few in the world do) and his lack of size makes it tough to link-up with him. He tries very hard sure, but he needs someone else up there with him. Defoe is too much like Rooney, short attack-minded and not able to really create on his own, so I think Capello needs to use someone else, who contrasts Rooney in both size and ability.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    What England really needs is a quality holding midfield player to dictate play, something like an Essien or what Roy Keane was.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    Mikael Silvestre???
    I think he's a decent signing really for the price, not amazing but he'll provide cover and some experience. Would like another signing but will have to wait and see.

As long as this doesn't turn out to be Wenger's one signing before the Twente game then I'm fine with it. It was supposed to be a midfielder, so there's still a good chance.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Looks like Arsenal are looking to interfere with the Gareth Barry signing, and get him for themselves.

Articles

He's all yours, boys. £18m is a bit of a joke.

This is coming from the side who payed that much for Robbie Keane!