Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII: Overrated?

It was overrated some years ago, but not today. There are some people who still overrate it, of course, but they are the minority.
    Today, the majority of gamers like to bash and call it "overrated" just to look cool.

At least, that's the impression I have.

Anyone who thinks its good or okay but not as legendary as everyone else seems to think can't win, it seems. So, I'm just using the piccard image to show how I feel.
    Last edited by Raebus; 07-19-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich
    The story was same basis for II and VI, just tweaked for its own purposes.
    Personally, I feel the connection Cloud has with Shinra and Sephiroth, and the back-story including Zach and Jenova, makes FFVII one of the more complex stories. It deals a lot with mixing the past and present, and switching alliances. To me, it's ones of the better stories.

Materia was new and innovative, but all Final Fantasy installments have new and innovative systems. VI has Espers, VIII has junctioning, and XII has the licenses allowing for total customization.
    Yes, all installments have new and innovative systems. But unlike the majority of Final Fantasy's prior, it has no class system. This paved the way for systems to come. It allowed you, the gamer, to choose the strengths and weaknesses of each character.

Plus, maybe the reason FFVIII has junctoning and Final Fantasy XII has total customization is because of the groundwork left by Final Fantasy VII.

The graphics were 3D, but when the game just came out, they were still disgusting in my opinion. The only time they seemed okay was during battles when you people "grew."
    The graphics may not have been perfect, but they were definitely a step up and something new. Aside from the blocky characters, the environments these characters were placed in were rich in detail and vast in scope.

You must also remember this was the first futuristic story and environment, adding to its innovation.

The music isn't Uematsu's best in the series. IV, V and maybe even VI had arguably better scores.
    I'm sorry, but when I hear the theme for Aeris, I can't help but feel a wave of emotions. Same for when I hear "One-Winged-Angel". But I guess this is a difference of opinion.

The game is easy. That comes with almost all new games these days. Barely any time is required grinding, if any. There is no obligation to train all your characters either. You can basically pick three characters and stick with them.
    Maybe for those 16 and over. But many who played it when they were 12, as many of us did, didn't have such an easy time.

It might be best for everyone to learn the definition of "overrated". Overrated doesn't mean "bad." It means that people say it's better than it actually is.
    I don't think a game that did as much for RPGs as Final Fantasy VII did can be considered overrated. It was extremely innovative, and provided new elements the series had NEVER seen before.
    Last edited by Overdose; 07-19-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Aeris = #1 character of all time! (Tifa can shove it!)

Just give up, Yari. Let them think what they want to think. They think its not overrated and thats their opinion. Me and you think its overrated and thats our opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    Just give up, Yari. Let them think what they want to think. They think its not overrated and thats their opinion. Me and you think its overrated and thats our opinion.
    What's the point of a forum? Discussion.

I'm surprised you don't know that by now.

Final Fantasy 7

I know that but its pointless argueing with you. You won't be changing your mind any time soon or you won't accept that it MIGHT be overrated anytime soon no matter what anyone says.

Oh and don't talk to me like I'm a newbie, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    I know that but its pointless argueing with you.
    You mean arguing?

Anyway, I'm happy to admit people have a difference of opinion. But that's what makes forums interesting. So if you don't want to debate, or discuss, please, leave this thread. Let Yaridovich make up his own mind, because maybe he can stand the heat.

PS: Why would you say its pointless when you haven't even discussed anything with me? Seems like a huge leap and assumption. :rolleyes2

Final Fantasy 7

Lets just forget about this.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Why does he need to accept that its overrated? I dont get. He doesnt think its overrated so leave it at that, you think its overrated and thats ok. I dont see any 'reasoning' behind this, as you love to use that word

Everyone can carry on stating their opinions, thats what a forum is for, but dont expect to change someones mind.

NOOO ITS NOT OVERRATED! it is the best thing since sliced bread, actually since before then actually
    I just finished DOC and am hungry to start playing VII again. no game has the feel, not even Legend of Zelda OoT
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Many people who hate FFVII(or just its fanbase) are accustomed to use "it's 0verr4ted!1one" as a form of insult against the game or the fanbase.
    This is why it's so hard for them to accept that FFVII might not be overrated anymore.

I didn't mind the hype when FF7 came out, when it first came out, it lived up to the hype, but 10 years later? Nah, I don't think it lives up the hype created over 10+ years.

Its a game people like to hate because its so popular. You can name the games many flaws but as a whole even with its flaws its something quite special that none of the other Final Fantasy games have been able to be.
    Pray allow me to ask: how so?

The legions of Final Fantasy VII fans out there can't all be wrong.
    Oh really?

What about the millions of people who buy trash music then? (naming no names) Its a weak argument. Just because lots of people like it - doesnt mean its good. Then again, we all have our own unique definition of 'good'.

I don't think a game that did as much for RPGs as Final Fantasy VII did can be considered overrated. It was extremely innovative, and provided new elements the series had NEVER seen before.
    Lots of FFs did that. In fact, pretty much all of them did that...

I'm sorry, but when I hear the theme for Aeris, I can't help but feel a wave of emotions. Same for when I hear "One-Winged-Angel". But I guess this is a difference of opinion.
    I get the emotion too! But I also get emotion when 'Succession of Witches' plays, or 'To Zanarkand' or 'Symphonic Poem Hope' or 'You're not alone.' Each Final Fantasy I've played has music which cues the emotions. Personally, I find that FFIX does it the most for me, but they all definitely do it. And they were doing it before VII as well.

Yes, all installments have new and innovative systems. But unlike the majority of Final Fantasy's prior, it has no class system. This paved the way for systems to come. It allowed you, the gamer, to choose the strengths and weaknesses of each character.

Plus, maybe the reason FFVIII has junctoning and Final Fantasy XII has total customization is because of the groundwork left by Final Fantasy VII.
    Well, I've always prefered the class system myself, so I dont see that system as being particularly great. I dont think it was really more innovative than VIII's battle system or XII's battle system anyway.

Anyway, to this day I am still puzzling over the phenomenon which is FFVII's great success. I have come to the conclusion that it was just a great game, perfectly time. Unlike FFIX which was a Godly game, poorly timed. Thats my opinion any way.

God, I hate damned opinions. I wish we could use facts...but we cant.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lord knows I'm tired of this debate. I also know that a few people (most likely Bolivar) will chime in after I post.

VII is a game I want to like, but for me, it has too many flaws in its story, characters and gameplay for me to honestly say its the best in the series, let alone the best RPG of all time. It is my second most played FF and part of it is me trying to figure out why people love it so fanatically, and also because deep down its a really good game but a flawed one at that. Its a game I hated for a long time and only in recent years (after I was introduced to a really bad FF game) that I realized I hated the game more for its obnoxious fanbase than because the game itself is bad. Even today, I'm more willing to rip into the game still just to shut up the fanbase.

Now don't get me wrong, VII does get alot of credit I don't feel its due but most of it I let slide cause it comes down to personal opinion. The only one I still argue is that it was innovative in a good way. Its only true innovation was that it was the first fully 3D RPG. Wild ARMS, Persona, and Arc the Lad 3 used 3D polygons in their gameplay and had pre-rendered cutscenes before VII existed. Though I do feel VII did it better than all its predecessors before it. I feel VII's only true accomplishment was that it brought RPGs into the mainstream.

Btw, RPGs were not dying before VII, they were just a niche market outside of Japan. Also, the genre was starting to get more mainstream attention due to CT, Earthbound, and Super Mario RPG.

To me better games existed before it and better games came after it. My gripe with the fanbase is with those who treat it as the Alpha and Omega of the Genre.

Okay, if you will, please allow me to respond to your essay of a post.

Please, keep in mind. I don't hate VII, although it is one of least favorite of the series I don't think it's a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdose View Post
    The story was same basis for II and VI, just tweaked for its own purposes.
    Personally, I feel the connection Cloud has with Shinra and Sephiroth, and the back-story including Zach and Jenova, makes FFVII one of the more complex stories. It deals a lot with mixing the past and present, and switching alliances. To me, it's ones of the better stories.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. However it seemed recycled to me. Empire A is doing bad things so Resistance Group B has to stop it. Then they added such things to make the story more complex and seem refreshing.

Materia was new and innovative, but all Final Fantasy installments have new and innovative systems. VI has Espers, VIII has junctioning, and XII has the licenses allowing for total customization.

VII had about as much of a class system as VI. Anyone can be really strong or really intelligent, you just have to take actions to make them so. But the classes are there. I'd like you to prove to me that Tifa is not a monk or that Cloud is archer.

I think that
    VI had more of an influence on VIII's junctioning system than VII. You take a summoning monster and associate them with a hero for certain benefits. X seemed to set the basis for XII's licensing board as well. VII seems rather absent from XII's license board.

The graphics were 3D, but when the game just came out, they were still disgusting in my opinion. The only time they seemed okay was during battles when you people "grew."
    The graphics may not have been perfect, but they were definitely a step up and something new. Aside from the blocky characters, the environments these characters were placed in were rich in detail and vast in scope.
    IV, V and VI's graphics were beautiful, even if they were only 16-bit. VII seemed dirty to me because everything was so dark and crude. Many of the environments were drawn backgrounds that were then programmed where you could and couldn't go.

You must also remember this was the first futuristic story and environment, adding to its innovation.
    This seemed like blasphemy when it had first come out. Final Fantasy was always medieval with just a touch of the future. I did eventually grow out of this mind-set though, and fell in love with it. This game did allow me to enjoy VIII more.

The music isn't Uematsu's best in the series. IV, V and maybe even VI had arguably better scores.
    This does come down to personal opinion. But there are more people that like IV, V and VI's music better. People are saying it anyway.

The game is easy. That comes with almost all new games these days. Barely any time is required grinding, if any. There is no obligation to train all your characters either. You can basically pick three characters and stick with them.
    Maybe for those 16 and over. But many who played it when they were 12, as many of us did, didn't have such an easy time.
    So you're saying I'm just argueing with bunch of twelve-year-olds?
    I'd like to see how much of this has less to do with age and more to do with inexperience. I've played VII since I was in the third grade. I never cared for it as much as I did II and III (SNES), so I never got actually determined enough to sit down and beat it till I was about 11 or 12.

It might be best for everyone to learn the definition of "overrated". Overrated doesn't mean "bad." It means that people say it's better than it actually is.
    Yes, it can be considered overrated. I just did it.

I guess what it comes down to is just respect for opinions. When I hear people say "I love VII, it roxxors various footwears of mine," I say "that's cool;" but when VII apologists hear me say "VII wasn't that great," then the world comes to a screeching halt.
    Last edited by Yar; 07-20-2008 at 02:20 AM.