Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII: Overrated?

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

It always seems to me people think that fan's like to speak in 1337 5p3/@c|-| and CAPS when to be perfectly honest I have never seen in my entire life -I challenge anyone to find someone speaking about FFVII in 1337 in the past 3 years-

Back to the point, Final Fantasy VII IS the biggest of all the Final Fantasy games, how do I know this you ask? well its quite simple:

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VII: Snowboarding
    Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII

?Mystery Game to be announced Aug 2-3rd?

Please someone tell me how many games moves ect. does Final Fantasy VI have? Final Fantasy IV? 2* thats how many. both the exact same game with some innovations (probly not enough to have a whole team make a complete new game for). Now I realise some of you may dissagree with me but no, Final Fantasy VII is the biggest of all of them within 3 days of its release in Japan it sold 2.3 million copies, in the weekend of its release in America it sold over 330k copies and as of 2005 it had sold world wide 9.8 million copies, for those of you that dont know there is only 1 game that has sold more copies on the Playstation and that is Gran Turismo.

Oh and for those of you wondering yes, Final Fantasy VII IS my favorite game of the series and possibly (depending on my frame of mind) the best game ever (along side Tales of Symphonia).

Most of which I agree with you Overdose but having a go at someone because they made a spelling error does seem a little pedantic, this is afterall a disscussion thread not a grammer contest.

*I may have got this figure wrong but meh.

Gran Turismo is overrated. :rolleyes2

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I would have to dissagree with that cause I have nere heard any hype over GT lol... but thats another disscussion entirly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Its only true innovation was that it was the first fully 3D RPG.
    I take it you aren't familiar with King's Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    xD Omg I had that game.

And I think he means not first person RPG, either way your point still holds because really.. no matter what kind of RPG does it, it's only a matter of time until they all do it. Really it doesn't have to even be an RPG, if 3D is the new cool thing, other game types are going to do it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Personally I thought FFIV sucked, but hey, people liked it. A lot.

...but FFVII, I'll say I really liked! Not my favorite, but it's up there on my list of goodness somewhere. It is what it is and people will love or hate different aspects of it.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    Gran Turismo is overrated. :rolleyes2
    Oh now youve gone and done it!!! Come here you "§§$&§)(%$)§

Gran Turismo rocks

Can we now impose a ban on discussing why FF7 is regarded as overrated, or why it's not? This thread can be likened to the bickering of schoolchildren. Like I said: gamers today are as bad as soccer/football fans have been for the better part of a century. It's so childish and pathetic.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Your face is childish and pathetic.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    Forgot about that game Lol!

Guess I can say it has no innovation now, except they were the first to do it well (strictly my opinion of course). The only thing the game did for the industry was allow us to get a hold of titles like Xenogears and Vagrant Story. Titles that may not have left Japan had VII not created a RPG fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner
    Pray allow me to ask: how so?
    The reason people hate FF7 for being so popular is that because of its popularity its basically the only game in the series that gets attention with sequels, prequels, movies etc. This leads to jealously because their favorite games aren't receiving all these extra bonuses and attention. This causes people to shout, "FFVII sucks! Its so overrated! Why isn't --insert favorite game here-- given as much attention as FFVII!"

So, the popularity fuels jealousy, which causes anger. Ultimately leading to FFVII bashing.

Lots of FFs did that. In fact, pretty much all of them did that...
    There's a different between minor changes and adding on to what has already been done, and changing something to be totally different.

I get the emotion too! But I also get emotion when 'Succession of Witches' plays, or 'To Zanarkand' or 'Symphonic Poem Hope' or 'You're not alone.' Each Final Fantasy I've played has music which cues the emotions. Personally, I find that FFIX does it the most for me, but they all definitely do it. And they were doing it before VII as well.
    The music isn't why I said FFVII was innovative . I mentioned it as just another reason that makes the game good.

Sure, the music doesn't make it better than the other games, but my point was that the music is probably equal to the other games and is far better than an average musical score for a videogame.

Well, I've always prefered the class system myself, so I dont see that system as being particularly great. I dont think it was really more innovative than VIII's battle system or XII's battle system anyway.
    I don't think you understand the meaning of innovation. FF8 and FF12's battle systems were BASED ON and created BECAUSE of FF7 starting that TREND. That is what innovation means. So yes, it was innovative because it was the FIRST in the series to do that, and caused games afterwards to continue that same system.

This innovation, by being the first, showcases the influence FFVII had over the series.

-------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. However it seemed recycled to me. Empire A is doing bad things so Resistance Group B has to stop it. Then they added such things to make the story more complex and seem refreshing.
    Everything is recycled to some degree. But I feel FF7 gets more flack than other FFs for having a "recyceled" storyline. When in reality, everything is recycled to some degree, if you look hard enough. It just so happens people tend to look harder at FF7. :rolleyes2

Also, I don't think any Final Fantasy has as much of a connection and back-story between the main character and the opponents. Also, the futuristic story and world is vastly different than the previous stories in the series. True innovation.

IV, V[B] and VI's graphics were beautiful, even if they were only 16-bit. VII seemed dirty to me because everything was so dark and crude. Many of the environments were drawn backgrounds that were then programmed where you could and couldn't go.
    Not liking what the graphics showcased doesn't necessarily mean the graphics themselves were bad. For example, I may not like the way a Coach bag looks, but I can't deny its quality.

The dark and crude feel was what added to the world and ambiance of FF7. It was the first in the series to have a more realistic, modern world. With this innovation, comes a more dirty look and feel. The point was that the times in FF7 were hard, and I think the graphics and environment showcased and captivated that message perfectly.

This seemed like blasphemy when it had first come out. Final Fantasy was always medieval with just a touch of the future. I did eventually grow out of this mind-set though, and fell in love with it. This game did allow me to enjoy VIII more.
    The point of the futuristic world was because the storylines were becoming too recycled and people were beginning to get bored. The series needed a new direction, and it got just that with FF7's innovation.

This does come down to personal opinion. But there are more people that like IV, V and VI's music better. People are saying it anyway.
    I don't know if MORE people like the music from those FF's better. But I realize many people do.

So you're saying I'm just argueing with bunch of twelve-year-olds?
    Nope, I'm just saying FF7, unlike many of the other games, has widespread appeal to all different age groups, which is also what led to its success.

Yes, it can be considered overrated. I just did it.
    Well, I disagree. Obviously.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Aeris = #1 character of all time! (Tifa can shove it!)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Overdose View Post

Well, I've always prefered the class system myself, so I dont see that system as being particularly great. I dont think it was really more innovative than VIII's battle system or XII's battle system anyway.
    I don't think you understand the meaning of innovation. FF8 and FF12's battle systems were BASED ON and created BECAUSE of FF7 starting that TREND. That is what innovation means. So yes, it was innovative because it was the FIRST in the series to do that, and caused games afterwards to continue that same system.

This innovation, by being the first, showcases the influence FFVII had over the series.
    You forgot FFII and technically FFV as being the first games that offered highly customizable characters with no set jobs... The fact of the matter is, materia is just the job class system broken down more except with the equipment and setup being character specific. Its an expansion on what came before it (just like everything in the game) so giving it the title of innovation is wrong.

The only real way I would consider FFVII innovative is the manner in which it used FMVs. I can't think of a game before VII that managed to connect gameplay with FMVs any where near as successfully. The actual quality of the FMVs is a little dubious but it would be hard to debate that the game utilized them very well.

Everything else was just an extention of concepts that had already been established in previous FF games, other JRPGs and a few early playstation games. FFVII's direction owes a lot to Resident Evil, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdose View Post
    FF8 and FF12's battle systems were BASED ON and created BECAUSE of FF7 starting that TREND.
    Hmmm...not sure what trend you are referring to here. I will not say anything about FF8 since it has been a while since I last played it but having played FF12 recently and FF7 which I started again a couple of days ago, I see little connection between their battle systems.

FF7 carries the same random battle system as all previous FFs. It also has the same mechanics for battle: only one action may occur at a time, be it from the members of your party or from the enemies you face. Your party as well as the enemy are locked within a "box" and set in a specific spot and cannot move around freely. When you win a battle, the party does the same victory dance and you hear the same music that has been part of nearly all previous FFs.

The battle screen also has the same layout as the previous games, with the character details and the action menu on bottom in a wide frame that takes up about 30% of the screen and the message window where the name of spells and abilities appears centered on top. I will not get into detail over FF12, this is the FF7 forum after all, so I'll just say that FF12 changed all that.

The materia system of FF7 is also very different from the licence system of FF12.

A difference between FF7 and previous FFs was that your party consisted of only 3 characters. This was new for the series but having only 3 characters in your party had been done in previous games such as Chrono Trigger.

I guess, Overdose, that I sound like one of those FF7 "bashers", eh? Don't get me wrong. I love FF7 and it is my favorite game. I don't think FF7 is overrated, however, I think that some fans tend to exaggerate some things and fail to admit others and thus end up hyping the game so much that they ruin the experience for new comers. In so doing, they also attract a wave of hatred for the game, something that is more a backslash against the exaggerations of the fans than anything else.
    Last edited by Egami; 07-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well with all of it's milktastic spin-offs it's hard not to call it overrated.
    placeholder_text.jpeg