Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII: Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg View Post
    Well with all of it's milktastic spin-offs it's hard not to call it overrated.
    I don't see how one can call FF7 overrated based on the spin-offs. When you do that you are no longer judging the game itself.

Personally I feel that AC and DoC were unnecessary and I was not too impressed with them. Crisis Core in the other hand was good and as a prequel it contributes greatly to the main story of FF7.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Egami View Post
    I don't see how one can call FF7 overrated based on the spin-offs. When you do that you are no longer judging the game itself.

Personally I feel that AC and DoC were unnecessary and I was not too impressed with them. Crisis Core in the other hand was good and as a prequel it contributes greatly to the main story of FF7.
    Well then according to you, Overdose's defense on why people think FF7 is overrated is obsolete then. Would it help you if I said Advent Children is overrated?

Most of the spin-offs are completely pointless wastes of time to me, especially Dirge Of Cerberus and Advent Children. I would be OK with just one or two, like the prequel, but so many on just one of the mainstream games is just sickening to me.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

That's not being overrated, that's being popular. Learn the difference.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    That's not being overrated, that's being popular. Learn the difference.
    Well, I don't think I've ever played a game and liked it so much that I wanted a Snowboarding version of it.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Would it help you if I said Advent Children is overrated?
    Why would you consider it overrated? Because Advent Children itself is not as good as it is said to be or because it has a lot of spin-offs? If the former, then that is a genuine reason to think something is overrated, if the later, then your reason for thinking it is overrated is off-track.

Well, I don't think I've ever played a game and liked it so much that I wanted a Snowboarding version of it.
    Another proof of its popularity.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Egami View Post
    Would it help you if I said Advent Children is overrated?
    Why would you consider it overrated? Because Advent Children itself is not as good as it is said to be or because it has a lot of spin-offs? If the former, then that is a genuine reason to think something is overrated, if the later, then your reason for thinking it is overrated is off-track.
    I never really meant that, I was just trying to be a smart-a$$ because you said AC wasn't FFVII . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagensyg
    Another proof of its popularity.
    So, let me get this straight. Somebody played through Final Fantasy VII a so called 'innovative' RPG, and demanded that a snowboarding game themed off of it should be made?

Did you even play it? Even if it's popular doesn't mean it's not over-milked and overrated. Gran Turismo was popular and I played it but does that mean it deserves a flight simulator spin-off?

Whatever, I don't care if it's popular, I just think it's overrated, or at least I just don't think it needs all those spin-offs no matter how popular and seeing a lot of the fans putting the entire compilation on a pedestal next to the Bible is just fuel for the fire.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Im sorry did I miss the point of this thread or somthing, I could have sworn it was about the game Final Fantasy VII being overrated, and not about the x amount of sequels the game has and to be perfectly honest, I have never heard people championing Advent Children OR Dirge of Cerberus... iv never seen "zOMG d0C R4X3R5 MY 50X3R5!" or seen any fanboish comments about Advent Children.

The fact remains that Final Fantasy VII is the most popular game no matter how many people would wish it was otherwise and yes, you yourself may think that VII is overrated but then hey thats your perogative, I call anyone who thinks VII is not the most popular game of the series out there a fool.

Note: there is a difference between being popular and being overrated i.e. im not calling people who think it overrated a fool.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
    Im sorry did I miss the point of this thread or somthing, I could have sworn it was about the game Final Fantasy VII being overrated, and not about the x amount of sequels the game has and to be perfectly honest, I have never heard people championing Advent Children OR Dirge of Cerberus... iv never seen "zOMG d0C R4X3R5 MY 50X3R5!" or seen any fanboish comments about Advent Children.
    Actually, all of my friends IRL that play RPGs. And the last time I checked the spin-offs are still Final Fantasy VII. As long as they have that in their name, I'm going to believe just that. It's like Harry Potter to me.

The fact remains that Final Fantasy VII is the most popular game no matter how many people would wish it was otherwise and yes, you yourself may think that VII is overrated but then hey thats your perogative, I call anyone who thinks VII is not the most popular game of the series out there a fool.
    I never said it wasn't popular, that was the whole base of my posts practically.

So, since I'm missing the point of the thread, I'll talk about FFVII. It's overated because 11 years later people still want to defend it like religion. You're argument is that you haven't seen people do this, but then again, I've never seen anyone say it's overrated on this forum ( Threads specifically on this topic are an exception ), other than Yamaneko, I think, or on YouTube, in the past three years.

I'm guessing this guy brought this topic out of some other place because he joined here not to long ago.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I've never seen anyone say it's overrated on this forum ( Threads specifically on this topic are an exception ), other than Yamaneko, I think, or on YouTube, in the past three years.
    oh you havent? hows about this then:

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Overrated: Final Fantasy VII
    Underrated: [Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy VII) U (Final Fantasy VII, Positive Infinity]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    Why FFVII is the worst FF:

* It's highly overrated
    * The plot just isn't that great. Lots of holes =\
    * Not to be a graphics whore, but these graphics suck. FFVI has better design then this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomba Misstress
    If I had to pick a worst it would be VII. The story line was really slow to me, it was all Shinra this Shinra that, it's like, when are you going to get to the damned point already???? The ending was really boring and I don't think that it ever could have left off to a sequal and I think that ppl who think so may have read into it to much. Plus that is NOT Nanaki, it's like a 1000 years later, Nanaki is probably dead....I think that was like a happy life goes on kinda thing. It was however for me one of the more difficlut FF's and by far the most boring....all the darn training are running around you have to do in order to survive gets really boring really quick. By far the most in any FF, except maybe 1.) Not only was the story line slow on it's own, but all the lving to keep up with the monsters strength made it even slower >sigh< :fd:
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicKnight Locke
    Oh man not another thread like this...
    Whatever

For me it was close between ff2 and ff7.

ff2 is just sickening for its story and battle system
    ff7 is
    1.overrated.Sometimes some1's reason is:Seph rulez
    The game rulezz!
    2.humans look like somesort of humans made out of 2 parts(palmer,Barret heidegger:i once saw two pieces of palmer apart)
    3.Battle system was nothing special
    4.Story was good but characters were personality-less
    ff7 had great misc though like chocobo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Most Overrated Game Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    Halo
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    Halo 1-2
    Final Fantasy VII
    uhhh, howz abote WoW while we are at it.

yeah, WoW.

ftl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genji View Post
    Halo Series
    Final Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    Final Fantasy VII. I fail to see the appeal in the game, or the spinoffs. I didn't like the music, and every single charactor annoyed me. The story was mediocre at best, though I suppose it was somewhat of a breakthrough as far as what a game could do length-wise. It was an all-around unenjoyable experience that I don't care to subject myself to again.

Kingdom Hearts. I've only played the first one, and while it was fun as hell, I don't think it lives up to the hooplah. The worlds were so limited, the story didn't much interest me... meh, meh, and more meh. The second looks more promising in terms of plot, so maybe I'll pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
    Halo series
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto series
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Stoner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Grand Theft Auto
    Mortal Kombat
    Half Life 2

I see alot of people saying Halo, you know, I thought it wasnt that bad :/
    Half Life 2 blew Halo out of the water!!!!!

GTA
    FFVII
    Halo
    Star Wars: Battlefront 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cz View Post
    FFVII. It's a good game, but not worthy of all the praise that has been heaped upon it over the years. Since it was the first RPG to really hit it big in the West, a lot of people have an emotional attachment to the game, and are willing to overlook its faults. Were it released today, few would hail it as the greatest game ever, or even the greatest Final Fantasy title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Final Fantasy VII, definitely.
    Halo get's way too much love.
    I'd say Resident Evil 4, but I haven't played it enough to really decide for sure.
    I like Final Fantasy IX, really. It was better than a lot of Final Fantasy games.
    Chrono Trigger hasn't aged well at all.
    Kingdom Hearts. The camera made me hate the game. I just can't forgive it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca
    So many are listing FFVII :O_O: Poor VII, a lot dislike you these days. I still love you Cloud and company
    This is only the third page of the most overrated game thread...

Additionally when this thread started Overdose only spoke about the game Final Fantasy VII not any of the spinoffs.

Well, obviously, pretty much every thread goes OT. :P

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7
    <-- Take it from my little friend to the left.
    Do not lose your braincells!

So, let me get this straight. Somebody played through Final Fantasy VII a so called 'innovative' RPG, and demanded that a snowboarding game themed off of it should be made?

Did you even play it? Even if it's popular doesn't mean it's not over-milked and overrated. Gran Turismo was popular and I played it but does that mean it deserves a flight simulator spin-off?

Whatever, I don't care if it's popular, I just think it's overrated, or at least I just don't think it needs all those spin-offs no matter how popular and seeing a lot of the fans putting the entire compilation on a pedestal next to the Bible is just fuel for the fire.
    Looking to your posts, it's clear you don't even know the meaning of "overrated". You are confusing it with "popularity".

And seriously guys... Most people today see the word "overrated" as something bad, and use it to insult what they don't like.
    This is why so many people use it to describe FFVII, because they don't like it, OR they don't like the fanbase, and insult the game to piss them off. But in some cases, people just mistake "overrated" with "popular".
    If you guys go to other forums and sites, you will see that there is A LOT of people bashing or underrating it, and a few who are actually overrating it.

The problem with FFVII, is that it was so overrated in the past few years, that it pissed a lot of people. And now those people are everywhere, bashing it everytime they can.

IMO the overrated past of FFVII, made the game be underrated today.
    As stated before, hating FFVII and bashing it is the new "cool". Everyone is doing it.
    Last edited by The Crystal; 07-21-2008 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    As stated before, hating FFVII and bashing it is the new "cool". Everyone is doing that.
    Right, and this probably done by the same people who were raving about it when it first came out. I see the hatred as a natural backlash against it's popularity.

I remember that I got the Playstation together with FFVII back in 97 when it came out. I loved it back then and still love it now.

I saw one website make fun of how overrated Final Fantasy VII was by having a list of the top ten orange video game characters and putting Final Fantasy VII as number 1. It was awesome.

Eegra: Updates five times a week. Usually. : Feature: The 10 Orangest Videogame Characters of All Time

I'd also like to add that the most annoying thing in the world is people who act like the only reason someone could have for hating Final Fantasy VII is so they can rebel against the waves of fanboys. No. I played it and I thought it was a mediocre game. Hype or no hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I'd also like to add that the most annoying thing in the world is people who act like the only reason someone could have for hating Final Fantasy VII is so they can rebel against the waves of fanboys. No. I played it and I thought it was a mediocre game. Hype or no hype.
    Thank you!

I don't like the game because I thought it was nothing special.

I don't like many of its fans because I find them loud and annoying.

I don't dislike the game because I find its fans annoying, and I don't dislike the fans just because I dislike the game.

No, I'm not jealous of all your prequels and sequels and such that your favorite entry was given, either. I'll gladly keep my money. I personally don't feel that my favorite ones need spinoffs, because I think they can do their jobs alone.