Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII: Overrated?

This thread hasn't been done before!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    Oh really?

What about the millions of people who buy trash music then? (naming no names) Its a weak argument. Just because lots of people like it - doesnt mean its good.
    Nobody picks up a Backstreet Boys CD 10 years later to appreciate the creative effort put into it. Britney Spears' debut album doesn't generate pages upon pages of in-depth analysis into every facet of the work. And credible magazines will never acknowledge "Bye Bye Bye" by N'Sync as one of the best songs of all time.

There's no way that a story using so many plot devices, that has such an exhausting amount of artwork (in pre-rendered backgrounds alone), that pushed the boundaries of the medium in so many ways, that inescapably changed its genre forever, that left such an astounding impact on the community, could be undeserving of the praise that it gets (especially) more than a decade after its release.

If it was, actually, a decent game that has been overrated due to the low standards of the masses (rabid fanboys), it would not have received virtually universal acknowledgment as "The Revolution" from the critics at the time. Hype is something that dies down fairly quickly. Not only has the game stood the test of the time, but almost any publication feature on Final Fantasy mentions the insatiable demand for its remake, it consistently ranks among the greatest and most influential games of all time (reader and critics polls), and its characters also consistently rank among the most memorable and cherished.

FFVII is held in superb regard, not only by the fans, and the critics, but by the developers of Final Fantasy franchise themselves. The developers most important to previous games in the franchise, especially the masterpiece that is FFVI (Sakaguchi, Kitase, Uematsu) all have put forth that they knew during development that they were creating a very special game that was going to not only change everything, but that would effectively stomp all of their previous works.FFVII Developer's Interview

Overdose - welcome to the forums, you gave a very good original post to one of the more discussed topics. The Crystal - as always your posts are insightful and increase awareness to those who read them.

Wolf Kanno - Smurf You, man. Smurf You. (j/p we both know it's all in good fun my friend).

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

This thread should be stickied, seeing as it's been made ten billion times and will inevitably be made ten trillion more times.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I played it and I thought it was a mediocre game. Hype or no hype.
    Fair enough

Would you please outline the reasons why you consider it a mediocre game? It would encourage discussion on this thread...what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    I personally don't feel that my favorite ones need spinoffs, because I think they can do their jobs alone.
    Ok, but I don't think that just because a game has spinoffs it means that the original game cannot stand alone. A spinoff is not necessarily a supplement to the original story, it can be an extension of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Egami View Post
    I played it and I thought it was a mediocre game. Hype or no hype.
    Fair enough

Would you please outline the reasons why you consider it a mediocre game? It would encourage discussion on this thread...what do you think?
    I'm going to try to put it as simply as I can, that way people can understand why people like Roto and I believe the game is mediocre.

It was nothing new to us who played Final Fantasy pre VII. The only thing that VII really brought to the series were the FMV cutscenes. Everything else was already in the series. This wasn't the first with ATB battles. This wasn't the first FF with an in depth story. This wasn't the first with in depth characters. This wasn't the first with great music.

People give the game too much credit. They say this game "revolutionized" the RPG genre. It did not. It simply brought more players to the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VII: Snowboarding
    Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII
    Updated list...

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis
    Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode
    Final Fantasy VII: Last Order
    Final Fantasy VII: Technical Demo For PS3
    Final Fantasy VII: Maiden Who Travels The Planet
    Final Fantasy VII: On The Way To A Smile

Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserDragon View Post
    Final Fantasy VII
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII
    Updated list...

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis
    Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode
    Final Fantasy VII: Last Order
    Final Fantasy VII: Technical Demo For PS3
    Final Fantasy VII: Maiden Who Travels The Planet
    Final Fantasy VII: On The Way To A Smile

You forgot "Dirge of Cerberus Online".

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'll say now that I fully agree with Sagensyg here, but since I'm already walking on eggshells here (because heaven forbid I have an opinion against yours)-- I don't like FFVII. I don't like the story. I don't like the characters. I don't like all of the countless plot holes. Most of all, I don't like the squealing fanbase that would pay full price for whatever FFVII-related game comes out. It's sickening to see that. Square-Enix knows that if the fans like it enough, they'll buy anything, no matter how much of a quick cash-in it is. I bet if Square-Enix had the FFVII logo printed on toilet paper, the fans would buy it.

Don't even reply to this, because I'm not coming back in here. Is FFVII overrated? Hell yes. If Square-Enix would stop with all of these knockoffs, they could get back to making more new, interesting games instead of milking a dead cow.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I'm not coming back in here.
    This is a good idea for me. I don't think anything I say is going to change anyone's mind and nothing anyone says is going to change mine. Well, enjoy FFVII however you like.
    placeholder_text.jpeg

Sagensyg and Momiji, we aren't talking about opinions here.
    You two are saying that FFVII is overrated because of it's popularity(having many fans who want to buy and play the spin-offs). I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. "Popular" and "overrated" are not the same thing. And that's not an opinion, that's a fact.
    Please, learn the definition of the words you are using.

And Bolivar, thankyou for the compliment.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by The Crystal View Post
    Sagensyg and Momiji, we aren't talking about opinions here.
    You two are saying that FFVII is overrated because of it's popularity(having many fans who want to buy and play the spin-offs). I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. "Popular" and "overrated" are not the same thing. And that's not an opinion, that's a fact.
    Please, learn the definition of the words you are using.

And Bolivar, thankyou for the compliment.
    I take back what I said about not coming back.

I do know the definition of the words I'm using. I hated the story of FFVII, I hated the characters, I hated the plot holes. The only redeeming part of the series at all is the music, which is the only reason whatsoever that I finished the game. Now tell me this: if the story is bad, if the characters suck, if the story has too many gaps in it to be completed, and yet people still love it, does that not describe something that is completely overrated? Furthermore, if we're not talking about opinions, how the hell are you supposed to discuss if the game is overrated or not?

Now before you start insulting my intelligence again with condescending remarks, I would ask that you read what I said again:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'll say now that I fully agree with Sagensyg here, but since I'm already walking on eggshells here (because heaven forbid I have an opinion against yours)-- I don't like FFVII. I don't like the story. I don't like the characters. I don't like all of the countless plot holes. Most of all, I don't like the squealing fanbase that would pay full price for whatever FFVII-related game comes out. It's sickening to see that. Square-Enix knows that if the fans like it enough, they'll buy anything, no matter how much of a quick cash-in it is. I bet if Square-Enix had the FFVII logo printed on toilet paper, the fans would buy it.

Don't even reply to this, because I'm not coming back in here. Is FFVII overrated? Hell yes. If Square-Enix would stop with all of these knockoffs, they could get back to making more new, interesting games instead of milking a dead cow.
    I never said it was overrated BECAUSE it was popular. I said I find it irritating that such an unimpressive game is so popular. The relevance to being overrated ended after I mentioned the fanbase-- which I didn't say I hated because they make the game popular, it's that they're so damn annoying and would blindly buy any piece of junk that has anything to do with FFVII. And since they would do such things makes the game overrated-- because something is overrated if it gets way too much attention even when it is extremely unimpressive. So in that case, popularity does have to do with beng overrated, because if it wasn't popular, it wouldn't be overrated.

Now I'm done. Like Sagensyg also said, you can't change my opinions, and I can't change yours. But I won't let you insult my intelligence just because you failed to read what I said in depth. It seems that you skipped everything I said and focused only on the words "FFVII", "Popular", and "Overrated".

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    I take back what I said about not coming back.

I do know the definition of the words I'm using. I hated the story of FFVII, I hated the characters, I hated the plot holes. The only redeeming part of the series at all is the music, which is the only reason whatsoever that I finished the game. Now tell me this: if the story is bad, if the characters suck, if the story has too many gaps in it to be completed, and yet people still love it, does that not describe something that is completely overrated? Furthermore, if we're not talking about opinions, how the hell are you supposed to discuss if the game is overrated or not?

Now before you start insulting my intelligence again with condescending remarks, I would ask that you read what I said again:

Quote Originally Posted by Me

I never said it was overrated BECAUSE it was popular. I said I find it irritating that such an unimpressive game is so popular. The relevance to being overrated ended after I mentioned the fanbase-- which I didn't say I hated because they make the game popular, it's that they're so damn annoying and would blindly buy any piece of junk that has anything to do with FFVII. And since they would do such things makes the game overrated-- because something is overrated if it gets way too much attention even when it is extremely unimpressive. So in that case, popularity does have to do with beng overrated, because if it wasn't popular, it wouldn't be overrated.

Now I'm done. Like Sagensyg also said, you can't change my opinions, and I can't change yours. But I won't let you insult my intelligence just because you failed to read what I said in depth. It seems that you skipped everything I said and focused only on the words "FFVII", "Popular", and "Overrated".
    Ah, I understand now. So, because you think FFVII is a crap game, that means it is. And it shouln't be popular for that reason(for being crap, in your opinion).

LOL

Another fact for you dude: Your opinion is not a fact. Just becauce YOU think FFVII is a crap game, doesn't mean it is.
    And it's obvious you are blinded by hate. You are even labeling and insulting the entire FFVII-fanbase, just because of some fanboys.

It's obvious now, that you are a waste of time. Bye.
    Last edited by The Crystal; 07-23-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Your opinion is not a fact.
    No skullskullskullskull.

Just becauce YOU think FFVII is a crap game, doesn't mean it is.
    Here's something even more obvious. Just because YOU think it's not crap, that doesn't mean it isn't.

It's so annoying when people act like every post needs to come with a disclaimer attached. If you're just going to go "lol ur opinyun isnt fakt lol" at everyone who disagrees with you, there's not much of a point in discussing anything with you, is there?

No .

Here's something even more obvious. Just because YOU think it's not crap, that doesn't mean it isn't.

It's so annoying when people act like every post needs to come with a disclaimer attached. If you're just going to go "lol ur opinyun isnt fakt lol" at everyone who disagrees with you, there's not much of a point in discussing anything with you, is there?
    Did I state as a fact, that FFVII is not a crap game? Nope.
    Being crap or not, is subjective to each person. It's not a fact, and I NEVER presented my opinion about it, as a fact.
    But here is a real fact: FFVII's popularity is NOT proof of it being overrated. "Popularity" and "being overrated" are different things.