Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII: Overrated?

I think what people also need to understand is that just because something can be overrated doesn't mean it's bad. I def. agree with Kanno. Some people are gonna like certain things, and others are not. The End
    "geroeen, pulsa nyet, tolska tanee pre chem"
    "Beauty is a perception tainted by ego;
    Love is an extension of great emotion;
    Fear is the result of uncertainty;
    Sadness is a collection of misery."

Final Fantasy fanboys and girls, never quit with your stupidities.

It is far too entertaining.

Banned

All FFs have received criticism. People will probably say they hate them or think that they are overrated for their own reasons. There are FFs with much more criticism than FF7 that are almost equal in popularity. But it seems that FF7 is the game with the most fans who constantly respond to almost anybody who dare criticizes the game with "you only hate or think this game is overrated because it's popular!" I'm guessing that the fanboys probably say this because they think people criticize FF7 more than they should.

It just seems odd to me that FF7 fanboys feel the need to insult critics more than the fanboys of other FFs that have much more criticism and are almost equally popular. If I said "this game is overrated" to another FF, I would definitely not be accused as some "bandwagon hater" by the fanboys of that other FF as I would by the fanboys of FF7.

As for the game itself, it was not my favorite, but it was worth playing. The only thing that could really be considered revolutionary and innovative is the 3D graphics, since many of the other things like characters, storyline, etc. are significantly based on opinion. But better graphics are to be expected when the game goes to a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    It just seems odd to me that FF7 fanboys feel the need to insult critics more than the fanboys of other FFs that have much more criticism and are almost equally popular. If I said "this game is overrated" to another FF, I would definitely not be accused as some "bandwagon hater" by the fanboys of that other FF as I would by the fanboys of FF7.
    You obviously have never tried it if you think that's at all true.

Banned

Why do you think that it isn't true?

I have called FF7 overrated in the past, and I have said FF8 and FF10 were overrated as well in their respective forums and on General FF. There were fans who disagreed with my opinion on FF8 and FF10, but very few, if any at all, said that I was hating the game because it's popular. However, when I said it to FF7, many more FF7 fans responded by saying I hated the game because it was popular and that I was just a stupid fanboy of some other FF. This is something that I have seen with other people as well.

I'm sure there will always be some fans of other games who would accuse me of being a hater, but I just think that the FF7 fans would do it the most. If you think this is false, please tell me which other FF has fanboys who calls critics as haters the most.

I just think that the FF7 fans would do it the most. If you think this is false, please tell me which other FF has fanboys who calls critics as haters the most.
    I don't know, I have never paid attention to that. Maybe FFVII has a more zealous fanbase than other FFs or perhaps because the fanbase is larger the chance of coming across with these sort of people is greater.

Anyway, I don't think this point is pertinent to the OP and think it is not a good idea for people to be throwing stones either way.

If you think the game is overrated, then please explain why you think so and let the discussion start.

I am not sure what happened to Overdose, been a couple of days since the last post, but I do not mind continuing what she started.

I personally think that FF VII is overrated, however that doesn't mean that I hate the game. I enjoyed it for what it is just like other FFs. It's not my favorite like VI, IV, etc. but still, I enjoyed playing this game. I just don't think its the greatest like some people make it out to be. Ya, the game has some flaws, but what game doesn't? The important thing is to enjoy the game without thinking about its flaws. In fact, as soon as I find my disc 3, I will be continuing my file(3rd playthrough overall)

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Why do you think that it isn't true?

I have called FF7 overrated in the past, and I have said FF8 and FF10 were overrated as well in their respective forums and on General FF.
    You're picking the wrong games with the wrong people. I'm guessing you don't have any friends who are true lovers of either of those games? If you want to try that experiment in a place like this I'd dare you to go into the Six section and even try to attempt to call that game overrated. And I don't mean in a cute "i can c why u lik it but i dont lol" way, I mean in a "omg this game sux omg itz overated u poeple suk 4 liking it FF7 4evr" kind of way. I'd be shocked if you got out alive.
    And yes, that's usually the kind of harsh and nonsensical criticism a game like Seven usually receives from it's nay-sayers. Usually.

(Dear Final Fantasy VI,

Forgive me for I did not mean to single you out there when trying to make a much broader point. It's just we all know you're the darling of the Final Fantasy fanboy community and Heaven forbid anyone ever says anything negative about you. Hope we can still be sweet, sweet lovers.

Love Always,
    Me.)
    Last edited by Kenshin IV; 07-24-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

In my opinion nearly every FFVI and beyond has been overrated. Minusing out FFIX (although FFIX does get some love at this forum ).

I think FFVII is probably the most overrated, because it has some users that respond to any criticism like this, and because it has some fans that have never played any of the other games (while declaring it the best), or worse, fans who've never ever played FFVII.

I just don't understand how that last part happens. DON'T UNDERSTAND! But yeah, the level of overratedness goes, FFVII>FFVI>FFVIII>FFX imo.

Really? VIII? I would've put XII in there somewhere, maybe before VI. (OH-NOES! I've disagreed with you! Debate to the death! )

People say VIII was bad all the time. I just don't how much of this is cause by VII fans who bought it wanting to play VII again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The amount of people who dislike it is outweighted by the amount that go, 'ZOMG SQUALLXRINOA SEXXORZ BEST COUPLE IN FF! COOLEST CAST EVAR ZOMG ZOMG!'

This is one of the few forums I've seen that the amount of people who disagree with those people outnumber the ones that do. More so overrated just because I feel that such a BAD love story is being hyped up. I mean if a good lovestory was reacted to like that, sure it'd be overrated but not by much. But the FFVIII lovestory is incredibly forced, and therefore incredibly overhyped.

As for FFXII, I want to give that more time to see what kind of fans it gets before I can really know where it fits in. (From what I've seen it actually gets a lot more 'ZOMG STAR WARS' or 'ZOMG BORING BRING BACK ATB' then praise)

EDIT: As for FFVII fans disliking it, from what I've seen there's also a lot of others that basically say, "HAHA! FUTURISTIC IS AWESOME! ALL OTHERS OTHER THEN FFVIII AND FFVII SUCK BECAUSE THEY AREN'T FUTURISTIC ".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin IV View Post
    If you want to try that experiment in a place like this I'd dare you to go into the Six section and even try to attempt to call that game overrated. And I don't mean in a cute "i can c why u lik it but i dont lol" way, I mean in a "omg this game sux omg itz overated u poeple suk 4 liking it FF7 4evr" kind of way. I'd be shocked if you got out alive.
    And yes, that's usually the kind of harsh and nonsensical criticism a game like Seven usually receives from it's nay-sayers. Usually.
    The second way you said would get almost any FF fan angry because it just seems very unintelligent and very biased. What I'm saying is that I went to other FF sections and the FF7 section using first way, simply stating my opinion in a non-insulting way like many people do, but it still just seems to me that the FF7 section is the most compelled to call me some stupid fanboy.

But if you think that the FF6 section is the one that actually responds in the harshest way to criticism, can I ask if you tried posting a response in the FF6 section with the "i can c why u lik it but i dont lol" way?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    The amount of people who dislike it is outweighted by the amount that go, 'ZOMG SQUALLXRINOA SEXXORZ BEST COUPLE IN FF! COOLEST CAST EVAR ZOMG ZOMG!'

This is one of the few forums I've seen that the amount of people who disagree with those people outnumber the ones that do. More so overrated just because I feel that such a BAD love story is being hyped up. I mean if a good lovestory was reacted to like that, sure it'd be overrated but not by much. But the FFVIII lovestory is incredibly forced, and therefore incredibly overhyped.

As for FFXII, I want to give that more time to see what kind of fans it gets before I can really know where it fits in. (From what I've seen it actually gets a lot more 'ZOMG STAR WARS' or 'ZOMG BORING BRING BACK ATB' then praise)

EDIT: As for FFVII fans disliking it, from what I've seen there's also a lot of others that basically say, "HAHA! FUTURISTIC IS AWESOME! ALL OTHERS OTHER THEN FFVIII AND FFVII SUCK BECAUSE THEY AREN'T FUTURISTIC ".
    I just thought that XII was incredibly overrated, but by the media, not the fans. The reviewers and critics in the gaming media were like: "OH JESUS BALLS YOU MUST BUY THIS GAME IF YOU DON'T YOUR HEAD WILL EXPLODE INTO XII PIECES YAY NO RANDOM BATTLES AND YOUR CRAPPY BATTLE SYSTEM IS GONE." While much of the fan base was "meh, this isn't so great. It's just a pretty game to look at," or "this isn't really much of Final Fantasy" or "wow, a game that plays itself? I paid $60 for this?" (That last one is mine. A little of the second, too.)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I consider the fanbase far more important to overrate something or not. The media is going to overrate any new Final Fantasy game, I mean it is their job.

The second way you said would get almost any FF fan angry because it just seems very unintelligent and very biased.
    Yes, yes it would. Sort of my point.

And the media overrates everything because they're paid by publishers and add companies to give games those kinds of ratings. Obviously this really only applies to companies who can afford to do so (EA, Activision, those kind of companies).

And yes, it does happen. More than you probably realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    In my opinion nearly every FFVI and beyond has been overrated. Minusing out FFIX (although FFIX does get some love at this forum ).
    So anything past the Sakaguchi era?

Hey, at least you're consistent.
    Last edited by Kenshin IV; 07-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.