Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII: Overrated?

Default Final Fantasy VII: Overrated?

There has been a backlash against Final Fantasy VII for some time now. But when anything achieves the success Final Fantasy VII has, a backlash is to be expected. However, I feel Final Fantasy VII deserves the praise it has received and I will continue to speak out in its defense. In spite of the current trend that says you are a superior gamer if you bash and call Final Fantasy VII overrated, I continue to consider it a tremendous achievement for the Final Fantasy series and RPGs in general.

The storyline captivated many who played it, and for good reason. You have a madman torn apart by his past, who is connected to a company draining the life force from the planet. Two opponents beautifully crafted and connected together through a complex past and present. The twist is that Cloud, our main character, is also connected to both opponents, but has switched alliances. Add in a love triangle, human sacrifice (possibly the most shocking moment in video game history) and a variety of interesting characters you truly feel for, and you’ve got yourself one of the best stories in Final Fantasy history.

Final Fantasy VII was truly innovative and groundbreaking. It saved a dying genre of games by brining RPGs into the mainstream. It shifted the entire series onto a new console, the Play Station. This shift brought in not only a 3D world, but also cut-scenes, which enhance the storyline and the emotional impact on gamers. It was also the first Final Fantasy to have a modern, futuristic world and story. Final Fantasy VII took a risk by being a pioneer for the series, and it paid off.

Aside from the well-crafted story, lovable characters and groundbreaking innovation, Final Fantasy VII has several other qualities that make it one of the greatest games of all-time:
    1. The musical score brought tears to many gamers - such as when Aeris dies, and constantly set the perfect tone for each situation. “One-Winged-Angel” being one of the most memorable tracks of any Final Fantasy game.
    2. Final Fantasy VII has a user-friendly system that doesn't have the strengths and weaknesses of your characters predetermined, but allows you to choose the strengths and weaknesses of each character individually. Additionally, the materia system provides countless combinations of magic and summons, which gives a variety of abilities to each character. Limit breaks are also a huge bonus!
    3. Final Fantasy VII also provides many side quests, games and fun. Golden Saucer (too much to do, so little time!), cross-dressing (clever and funny!), snowboarding, hidden locations, being able to operate a car, submarine and a flying ship, plus hidden flashbacks (Cloud's connection to Zach etc. etc.) and extra background information on numerous characters (Aeris being an Ancient etc. etc.), making the scope of Final Fantasy VII vast and rich.

Critics will tell you that most Final Fantasy VII fans give way to nostalgia. But why is that a bad thing? If a game creates such an impact that when re-playing it you feel such a strong emotional attachment, you know the game did something right. This is why Final Fantasy VII lives on today and is remembered as probably the best game in the series, if not one of the greatest games of all-time.

Innovation and this games qualities that made it a pioneer which pushed the series forward to something fresh and groundbreaking, accompanied by its storyline full of deep-seeded connections between the past and present, makes Final Fantasy VII worthy of its praise and recognition. Call me a fanboy all you want, because it won’t take away the legacy Final Fantasy VII has and truly deserves.

Last edited by Overdose; 07-19-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Aeris = #1 character of all time! (Tifa can shove it!)

I couldn't say it better myself. I've played all of the FF games and Final Fantasy VII happens to be my favorite one of them. Possibly my favorite game of all times.

I do not see how it's overrated. Either you like it or you don't, it's a personal opinion. Final Fantasy VII is though the most popular game of all the FF games so it must have something special the other ones don't.

With that being said, go ahead and call me a fangurl, I don't care, it won't change my opinions about the game!
    You honestly don't want to know about it...

God Bless America.

I would also like to point out that when reading on numerous forums, it has become apparent that many of the "fanboys" are actually impostors. Typically they are people who hate Final Fantasy VII, and want to make both FFVII and the fans look bad by posting stupid rants. Pretty clever, but I'm not falling for it.

Final Fantasy 7

I think it's an okay game but not the best in the series. So yes, I think its overrated. I can play through it once but I really have to force myself to play it and then I just forget about it.

i think its overated only a little casue 9 and possibly 8 are better than it IMO but it still deserves all the praise it gets for being such a great game

PS: I've edited my post several times to include more points I wanted to raise. So for those who have already read, you may want to go back and re-read some parts.

Final Fantasy 7

I'm going to do the coolest, most rebellious thing ever. I will expect the entire world to love me for it, and if you don't, you are a moron. Never mind if your friends tell you you're right and I am wrong. They are wrong too. I am right. Here goes.

Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid 4, Super Mario 64, Chrono Trigger and every other incredibly successful game you've ever played, heard of or seen, all suck.

Look at that! I didn't even have to give my opinion any foundation! Never mind the fact that there's a whole load of great aspects about every single one of those games that go against me! I swam against the current and now I'm cool! So cool! You all love me, and you all think I'm smurfing awesome! I made you all my bitches!

Anyone can slag off Final Fantasy VII. It won't make the better aspects of the game any worse. Idiots. Gamers today are as bad as soccer/football fans have been for the best part of a century. Good going dicks.

Final Fantasy VII is overrated. But, it isn't a bad game.

It's just like other overrated games like Halo, World of Warcraft, and Chrono Trigger that are okay, but have have really big, loud fan bases.

The story was same basis for II and VI, just tweaked for its own purposes.

The battle system was nothing new; ATBs are used in IV, V and VI, and then later in VIII, IX and X-2.

Materia was new and innovative, but all Final Fantasy installments have new and innovative systems. VI has Espers, VIII has junctioning, and XII has the licenses allowing for total customization.

The graphics were 3D, but when the game just came out, they were still disgusting in my opinion. The only time they seemed okay was during battles when you people "grew."

The music isn't Uematsu's best in the series. IV, V and maybe even VI had arguably better scores.

The game is easy. That comes with almost all new games these days. Barely any time is required grinding, if any. There is no obligation to train all your characters either. You can basically pick three characters and stick with them.

I gave it 3 "mehs" out of 5. That's pretty much average.

It might be best for everyone to learn the definition of "overrated". Overrated doesn't mean "bad." It means that people say it's better than it actually is.

I don't think your voice of reason is going to get through to them. They're like daleks, all other opinions that aren't positive and full of the words "best" and "ever" are bad and should be EXTERMINATED EXTERMINATE.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Who cares anyway? Some people like the game, and some dont. Saying it is overrated or not is a matter of opinion.
    FFVII happens to be one of my favourites so hence my slightly contradicting signature. If people have a problem with the fact that its one of my favourites and the favourite of many more they can suck it. They dont have to like it though.
    I wouldnt call Yaridovich's post a voice of reason though, as its just on the other end of the spectrum, just because you think the game isnt as great as people say it is, doesnt mean thats a fact. He's obviously entitled not to like it, but you cant pretend that saying FF7 is overrated or a bad game, whatever your point was, is a universal truth.

Just play the damn games you enjoy people and stop bickering, this goes to everyone.
    Last edited by Croyles; 07-19-2008 at 06:12 PM.

An awesome game. I wouldnt say its overrated, I would just say that other FF games are underrated. Personally, I think if Final Fantasy IX became the one and only mother religion of this world, it would still be underrated.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Who cares anyway? Some people like the game, and some dont. Saying it is overrated or not is a matter of opinion.
    FFVII happens to be one of my favourites so hence my slightly contradicting signature. If people have a problem with the fact that its one of my favourites and the favourite of many more they can suck it. They dont have to like it though.
    I wouldnt call Yaridovich's post a voice of reason though, as its just on the other end of the spectrum, just because you think the game isnt as great as people say it is, doesnt mean thats a fact. He's obviously entitled not to like it, but you cant pretend that saying FF7 is overrated or a bad game, whatever your point was, is a universal truth.

Just play the damn games you enjoy people and stop bickering, this goes to everyone.
    True, but I realize what I say is my opinion. Some people on here would argue that VII is the best as a fact.

It's not just the people who don't think it's the best that have the problem. The ones who kiss its ass need to learn the difference between fact and opinion as well.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yes thats true. I was trying to make this go to both sides.

Its a game people like to hate because its so popular. You can name the games many flaws but as a whole even with its flaws its something quite special that none of the other Final Fantasy games have been able to be.

People also like to give reasons as to why its popular. The most common being that it is the first RPG a lot of people played. Well that's crap because it sure as hell wasn't my first RPG or Final Fantasy and I'm sure a lot of people are the same.

Its a great game and to be honest you make yourself look like a fool if your calling it bad. Its not for everyone, and I doubt anyone new to the game can get into it these days but FFVII stills needs to be recognized as one of the best RPG's of all time. The legions of Final Fantasy VII fans out there can't all be wrong.
    Last edited by Dreddz; 07-19-2008 at 09:05 PM.