Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI...

KEFKA = JOKER!!!!

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

I'm not sure how I feel about FFVI. On one hand, the story and characterization was better then any FF before it (and quite a few after it), the graphics and direction were amazing for it's time and it has one of the best scores even composed for a console RPG. On the other hand the original release was buggy as all hell, the ability system devalued the individuality of the characters and a whole heap of end game equipment/spells completely break the game.

I guess I would still say it's one of the better games in the series. Even if the gameplay was a significant downgrade from FFV everything else was such a massive improvement it doesn't seem as important as I might otherwise consider it to be. However, I also acknowledge that it started a whole load of bad trends that would eventually shoot the series in the foot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    No, no, no, no, no, no.

Kefka lost his mind to the experiments that gave him the ability to use magic. After that he was a complete sociopath.
    I'm curious as to where you make this inference from.

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen
    Even if the gameplay was a significant downgrade from FFV everything else was such a massive improvement it doesn't seem as important as I might otherwise consider it to be.
    I thought IV had a more epic story, was more attached to the characters in V (not just main ones), and II had a more interesting world and mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    No, no, no, no, no, no.

Kefka lost his mind to the experiments that gave him the ability to use magic. After that he was a complete sociopath.
    Characters of Final Fantasy VI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I enjoyed FF VI very much. Its my number one favorite in my top 5 favorite FFs. This game had a very huge cast of characters each with their own backstory and had a very classic villian in Kefka, who succeeded in (SPOILER)turning the world in Ruins.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

I thought IV had a more epic story, was more attached to the characters in V (not just main ones), and II had a more interesting world and mythology.
    IV's story is one of my favorites. Above VI for sure. IV's story is greatly enhanced in the DS rerelease.

VI was a bit to happy for me, especially at the ending.

V characters were awesome in the GBA release too. People say they're paper-thin. I just don't see it. I just don't think they were as deep as VI's.

The world got all destroyed and stuff. :P

The world got all destroyed and stuff. :P
    Yes, but I'm a sadist.

I hated IV's story. It had some of the most generic plot twists ever. The arch-nemesis for the entire game being related to the hero. There being another person behind the scenes controlling everything. At least in VI I knew Kefka was going to be the main villian, pretty much from the beginning. It was clear cut, you knew who you were fighting against. And to say the story of FFVI was upbeat?!?! Terra is a slave when you first meet her, Cyan's entire kingdom was poisoned and then he watches his family board the phantom train, Celes was chained up and beaten, Gau was abandoned, Strago's village was persecuted, Shadow cut himself off from all emotions. Next, the world gets destroyed, Shadow could have died (or dies when you beat the game), all the moogles are dead, Celes tries to commit suicide, everything Locke does is because of a lost lover from the past, Setzer laments a lost lover, we find out Sabin abandoned Edgar after their father died.... far from an upbeat game if you ask me.

THE JACKAL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Articles
    Blog Entries

No, no, no, no, no, no.

Characters of Final Fantasy VI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oh snap, I never talked to that guy.

I guess not. He's in Vector.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    I hated IV's story. It had some of the most generic plot twists ever. The arch-nemesis for the entire game being related to the hero. There being another person behind the scenes controlling everything. At least in VI I knew Kefka was going to be the main villian, pretty much from the beginning. It was clear cut, you knew who you were fighting against. And to say the story of FFVI was upbeat?!?! Terra is a slave when you first meet her, Cyan's entire kingdom was poisoned and then he watches his family board the phantom train, Celes was chained up and beaten, Gau was abandoned, Strago's village was persecuted, Shadow cut himself off from all emotions. Next, the world gets destroyed, Shadow could have died (or dies when you beat the game), all the moogles are dead, Celes tries to commit suicide, everything Locke does is because of a lost lover from the past, Setzer laments a lost lover, we find out Sabin abandoned Edgar after their father died.... far from an upbeat game if you ask me.

THE JACKAL
    I didn't say upbeat. I said that there some unusally happy parts, and the ending is definitely one of the happiest I've seen in the series.

But no, if I wanted an up-beat game, I'd be playing X-2. Maybe I will go play X-2?

and II had a more interesting world and mythology.
    you serious?

I think this game is top notch, up until after Celes tries to off herself and finds Locke's bandana, that is the last bit that made me go ooohhh. except perphaps for the sad tale of Daryll. i just feel it looses pace towards the end. I think that VII stays consistently high class while VI slacks towards the end. but mostly its great and it still better than most other non fantasies.
    but i'd put it third in the my
    1. FFVII
    2. FFXII
    3. FFVI
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

The game would have been much better if the WOR had a better story. I like the "choose what you do" idea, but when just about everything you do occurs without any connection, I feel like all I'm doing is grinding for Kefka's tower. Loved the ending theme, though.