Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    and II had a more interesting world and mythology.
    you serious?
    Yeah, actually. VI had a great world/mythology (well, the 3-God mythology contradicted itself alot), but a little while into the world of balance/ruin, you pretty much know what you're going to find.

In II, you're always encountering new areas, and new types of them. Like going to the island of the Dragoons, trying to get the last of the Wyverns. Or near the end of the game, finding out that there's a kingdom of mages. The Mysidian tower was epic. Don't get me wrong - VI had surprises like Thamasa, the Floating Continent, I just like II's better.

The game would have been much better if the WOR had a better story. I like the "choose what you do" idea, but when just about everything you do occurs without any connection, I feel like all I'm doing is grinding for Kefka's tower. Loved the ending theme, though.
    The World of Ruin was made up of a bunch of little stories more than one big one. Setzer and Daryl, Relm and Strago on that dark little island, Terra and the kids, Locke and Rachel, Cyan and his dreams, etc..

But nobody seems to notice their reunion until the very end, almost all conversation happens without a unique script or even character portraits. Plus, it just felt like dungeon, dungeon, dungeon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed VI more than I can say about VII or XII

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    The game would have been much better if the WOR had a better story. I like the "choose what you do" idea, but when just about everything you do occurs without any connection, I feel like all I'm doing is grinding for Kefka's tower. Loved the ending theme, though.
    The World of Ruin was made up of a bunch of little stories more than one big one. Setzer and Daryl, Relm and Strago on that dark little island, Terra and the kids, Locke and Rachel, Cyan and his dreams, etc..
    Its like the movie love actually except all the loved ones are dead
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Exdeath View Post
    But nobody seems to notice their reunion until the very end, almost all conversation happens without a unique script or even character portraits. Plus, it just felt like dungeon, dungeon, dungeon. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed VI more than I can say about VII or XII
    Like how Celes notices Edgar as Gerrard, but Mash/Sabin for some reason doesn't. All they needed to add was optional text depending on who-is-in-your-party variables. Not like it would've taken up huge amounts of their limited cartridge space.

FFVI is one of my very favourite FFs, and Kefka is the best villain in the world (apart from Hank Scorpio in The Simpsons), but I do admit the game gets less interesting in WoR. I've never actually completed the game myself so I don't know how interesting it is at the end, but I always found the game slowed down considerably after Celes tries to (SPOILER)kill herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    …I do admit the game gets less interesting in WoR. I've never actually completed the game myself so I don't know how interesting it is at the end, but I always found the game slowed down considerably after Celes tries to (SPOILER)kill herself.
    This is a common issue that is brought up and it seems to be one of the weaknesses the game has. The flow of the game during the WoB is very good and manages to keep things interesting at all times, consistently building up towards the climax at the end of the WoB. But in the WoR you wake up in the middle of nowhere with no clue about anything or anyone. Where is everyone? Are they alive? What should I do? What about the empire and Kefka? I think that this IS the point of this part of the game. Even the overworld theme of the WoR screams of solitude and hopelessness, in contrast with the upbeat “lets fight the empire!” theme of the WoB. I think that this part is brilliantly executed but its problem is that it drags for too long, so long that it is what the whole WoR is about. If they had added some sort of plot development in the WoR, something that help up together all of the individual character stories it would have been better. As it stands however, the WoR consists on simply gathering your party, leveling up and defeating Kefka.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Its like the movie love actually except all the loved ones are dead
    And that FFVI is enjoyable

I don't think that FFVI is overrated to the extent that FFVII is. I made a post in the FFVII thread recently and came to the conclusion that while FFVII is a great game, I do feel that it's overrated. I feel that by some sectors of the gaming community, FFVI is also overrated but not to the same degree or not on as wide a scale. I think that FFVII certainly has more rapid fanboyism than VI does.

I think I'd agree that the flow of the game is disrupted by the WoR, but I never felt that the WoR was any weaker as a result. I quite liked everyone being separated and the fact that you had to find and unite people, giving each team member a bit of the spotlight and a reason to fight towards the end. I think sometimes there can be a feeling in some games that the reason why people are part of the team and fighting against evil is because they've been there since the beginning or that they're just good guys fighting evil. I liked how FFVI involved each character had their own backstory and reason for fighting against Kefka and trying to restore the world. I really quite enjoyed that.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

if the WoR bothers all of you that much... just go fight Kefka with Celes, Edgar, and Setzer. They're the only required characters in the WoR.

Seriously, the entire WoR is a "sidequest."

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    if the WoR bothers all of you that much... just go fight Kefka with Celes, Edgar, and Setzer. They're the only required characters in the WoR.

Seriously, the entire WoR is a "sidequest."

THE JACKAL
    Except those side quests make up the majority of the character development in the game. Honestly I don't see the problem people have with it. Yeah, the game moves from a more linear hand holding flow to making you find your own way to get everyone back, but that was honestly half the fun for me. It gave you plenty of new areas to explore, and the pay off was finding the characters you became attached to in the first half of the game and seeing many of them come to terms with their own demons and self doubts to rally for one last chance at saving the world. I always liked that the characters lost and many had to discover reasons to hope for something better than a dying world, even though they don't even know for sure if beating Kefka will even save it.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I loved the World of Ruin. I'm all for, "let me do my thing". Completely linear games annoy the heck out of me, FFX is a great example for me, I love that game to pieces once you have control of the airship.

Lawl the only game that's ovarrated is VII. And it's obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by FF_Chick View Post
    Lawl the only game that's ovarrated is VII. And it's obvious.
    Hehehe

I am thinking about playing VI again. It has been quite a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Egami View Post
    I am thinking about playing VI again. It has been quite a while...

Yeah, this thread has definitely resparked my interest in the game. I think it is about time for another playthrough. Except my brother has hijacked my copy! I could play the PSX one, but I'd rather not. I bet this game is going to be my best friend when we go to Montana in September. Two five hour flights (there and back) and driving across the state twice will give me plenty of time, plus of course time at the hotel / friends' house each night.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    I could play the PSX one, but I'd rather not.
    I have the PSX and the SNES versions of the game. I tried playing the PSX version once but I gave up...it is way too slow and that effectively takes away the excitement of the game. My old but trusty SNES just died and I cannot play the cartridge version so I just got my hands on a SNES ROM and plan to play it on the computer.