Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is VI overrated? IMO...yes.

It does get more credit than it deserves and the game does have some lackluster elements. Despite this, it doesn't change my opinion that in comparison to the main series, it is both my favorite and the one I feel is actually the best in the series cause it does fulfill my expectations for a RPG.

I love its world design and art direction, not only showing the best of Amano but making a good steam-punk world which I completely adore. Its artistic vision of portraying the entire game as a giant opera with an operatic musical score, a truly evil villain, comic relief, earth shattering events and even a curtain call. I truly feel VI is the first game in the series to have a well thought out and well executed artistic vision.

It still has my favorite cast of characters and over the years I've learned to appreciate and love every one of them which is something I can't say for the rest of the series with the exception of IV and XII.

VI's cast is one of the few that shows you can have a strong cast and not have to have everyone have some personal trauma to overcome. Yes a lot of characters have sad events in their pasts but only Locke, Cyan, and Shadow allow themselves to be controlled by it. Other characters are actually bothered by the here and now which is most apparent in Celes and Terra. Granted not everyone in the cast is deep. Mog, Umaro, and Gogo are more like "extra hidden characters" than thought provoking thespians. Yet I feel its ok and hardly detracts from the game and story.

The plot, takes the old cliche of "rebels vs. evil empire" but I feel it brought new elements to it all. It was the first to show a more gray area in all this, with Celes and General Leo who serve the empire but are actually noble and good people. Yet I feel most people focus too much on this concept, I feel the story really shines in its theme of "magic" and history repeating itself. How many fantasy games feature a story where the cornerstone of fantasy elements is actually dangerous and considered evil? Some have forbidden magic and power; II, IV, V, and VII have stories that focus on a forbidden power within the normal accepted doctrine of magic and psychic ability but VI is blatantly says its magic in general is unnatural and the concept is quite striking.

Combine this with the WoR plot twist and I feel the story speaks on greater volumes than its brethren in the series. Speaking of the WoR, I love it, I enjoy the fact that the game allows the player to explore the world they once knew and see the cataclysmic consequences of the parties failure to stop Kefka and Ghestahl. The freedom to explore is also much appreciated, I enjoy story but I dislike linear gameplay and hand holding. One thing about RPGs I like is that they are somewhat open ended and the old school games promote exploration. This concept has slowly been removed from the series and as the genre has changed, I appreciate this element more an more. The WoR was a breath of fresh air considering the first half is terribly linear. The player is left to make their own decision about the event unlike other games where the story dictates how you should feel and what you should do.

X was a game that told you how to feel about the world but overall I found Spira to be relatively peaceful and most of the time down right boring. The mass destruction Sin caused nothing more than ruins from ancient civilizations, it always felt like we missed the big cataclysm and we're just watching the aftermath after everything has calmed down. We only witness Sin destroy one small village and even then I found it difficult to be sad cause Sin's involvement was more indirect than pure maliciousness.

In VI, you saw these places in their prime and watched as they tried desperately to survive after the world was devastated. The story doesn't tell the player "this is sad or terrible" its obvious and the impact is felt better than it was in other games that try to utilize world shattering events. I feel its better shown cause it allowed the player to use their own intellect to determine the devastation instead of stating the obvious and showing little to back it up.

Another point I would like to bring up is that I felt VI was the game that perfected using music to enhance story with emotion. All previous FFs have this but I felt that almost every track in VI heightens the emotions and the players feeling. It not only had a damn good soundtrack but used it beautifully to bring to life many of the most powerful moments of the game. Many of the previous games did this of course but I feel VI did it with most of the soundtrack, its opera inspired soundtrack played beautifully with the games artistic and emotional themes.

If the game has a serious drawback, its in gameplay. I mentioned most of my complaints in detail in the sister thread on VII. To put it simply, mediocre difficulty, overpowered skills like Tools and Blitz, overpowered magic (though it fits with the story) and a customization system that can make every character an omnipotent deity. Even then, I have fun with the gameplay and I feel every other element of the game makes up for it. Hell, its not even the worst system IMO cause I at least still have fun with it even if it is non-challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    if the WoR bothers all of you that much... just go fight Kefka with Celes, Edgar, and Setzer. They're the only required characters in the WoR.

Seriously, the entire WoR is a "sidequest."

THE JACKAL
    Gah, I feel misunderstood here. All I said was the events could have had more connection in the WoR. I liked how it gave me choices, and there are many original elements to that part. 'Tis all I mean.

not that drug dealer CelestialStarDust's Avatar

Characters=great,gameplay=not so great.not so bad either.

Though Blitz,Tools,and Terra's magic in particular(in morph?honestly?) were rediculously powerful.Heck,I was owning enemies while Mog danced.I loved this game for the characters,and the fact that I was completely unbeatable.

Catapultam habeo.Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

What the hell does overrated mean anyways? Just a pompously birthed opinion enhancing word anyways. FFVI does get a lot of attention, but is there a reason it is technically over-rated? Should sentimental reasons not affect your rating of a game? I certainly think they should, and I think if you do not agree on opinions, discuss them, fine.

Calling a game over rated because you disagree on opinions, is like calling a smart kid a nerd, to debunk his coolness. You hardly know what the hell you are saying, though, your intuitions say your right since he is smart and a bit abstract in setting - in your opinion. So in calling a game overrated, you are really being hypocritical in a way because you are taking a supposedly objective score, and flexing your opinions against it. Overrated.. that word seems so over used.

I feel it is under rated. Take that.

FFVI is in a way underrated, if compare against FFVII

Underrated would be the term. Final Fantasy VI is perfect, and easily my favorite. Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game within our beloved franchise. How can Final Fantasy VI be overrated? Many Final Fantasy fans that I've met have yet to consider trying an FF tiltle that was made prior to FFVII. The younger generation of Final Fantasy fans seems bent on flashy graphics. I'm all for the remaking of the classics just to show how good games such as FF4 and FF6 are in comparison to FF7 and FF10.

You're exactly the type of retarded fanboy that I was talking about when I suggested making a thread like this. A game like Six can't be "underrated" when it's considered by virtually everyone to be one of the greatest games ever created. Seven can't be "underrated" for exactly the same reason. Both games receive their due praise, because both games are equally brilliant. Yes, fanboys, BOTH games CAN be brilliant. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Oh, and by the way, Final Fantasy VI is most definitely NOT perfect. Neither is Seven for that matter. I have never played a perfect RPG, and that's really in the nature of the genre. It's not really possible to make one perfect.

So quit your biased bitching. Thankie.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin IV View Post
    You're exactly the type of retarded fanboy that I was talking about when I suggested making a thread like this. A game like Six can't be "underrated" when it's considered by virtually everyone to be one of the greatest games ever created. Seven can't be "underrated" for exactly the same reason. Both games receive their due praise, because both games are equally brilliant. Yes, fanboys, BOTH games CAN be brilliant. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Oh, and by the way, Final Fantasy VI is most definitely NOT perfect. Neither is Seven for that matter. I have never played a perfect RPG, and that's really in the nature of the genre. It's not really possible to make one perfect.

So quit your biased bitching. Thankie.
    Damn Kenshin IV, I didn't mind you blasting me in my own thread cause even I knew the comment I made was rather arrogant and presumptuous but outright blasting someone with name calling cause you don't agree with their opinion. You need to calm down and stop taking all this so serious.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, I'm inclined to agree with Kanno here. Also, we don't call people "retarded fanboys" on this forum. Don't do it again.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've deleted some off-topic posts.

Kenshin IV, as long as you want to continue using these forums, you will respect and abide by its rules. In the future, you will treat other members and post respectfully or you won't be using these forums for long.

Knock it off or I'll ban you.

~Void

OH GEESES! I MADE SUM KID MOD ON A FANBOY FORUM MAD AT MEEEEEE!!!

OH GAWD, WHAT DO I DO NOW?????? BEWARE, DEYS HAS ALL TEH POWAH!!

[leeza]When a Mod tells you to knock it off. KNOCK IT OFF!. Stop your backtalking or you will get banned. Not because you are backtalking, but because you are being a jerk. ~ Leeza[/leeza]
    Last edited by Kenshin IV; 08-25-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Meh, I just like FFVI cuz it's my kinda game. I always make sure to completely ignore internet reviews of games until I'm at least a couple hours into the game, VI was no exception. I first played VI on the PSX and hated it due to load times/the fact that (as a stupid 9-year-old) I thought you spent the whole game in Magitech armor (which still bug me to this day)

I like the cast because it gives you a variety of characters.Even XII, which has 3 of my favorite characters of all time, the other 3 are probably among my least favorite. VI is great in that if you don't like Character X, then don't use him. And although I would never EVER use the word 'deep' to describe most of the protagonists of VI, some of them do have some complivation to them. Most of the characters I like (Locke, Sabin, Edgar, Shadow, etc.) are due to their personalities.

Kefka holds a special place in my heart because he gets more accomplished than most villains-- while being the comic relief character. And he's a pretty good comic relief too (don't mention Ultros, I really don't like him)

I personally like VI alot more than IV. I think IV is more overrated than VI. IV was a really good game, don't get me wrong. I just don't get how it's SO many peoples' favorite game in the series...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Actually, I'm inclined to agree with Kanno here. Also, we don't call people "retarded fanboys" on this forum. Don't do it again.
    WE call them pickled face penis punchers. ^)^

Really though, I don't think it's overrated in the slightest.

I agree having a ton of characters isn't always great, but in FF VI they managed to give everone the screen time they deserved, and developed them all rather well in the time given.

Not like, say for example, Chrono Cross where everyone said the same thing with a slightly varied accent, with the acception of a few scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin IV View Post
    A game like Six can't be "underrated" when it's considered by virtually everyone to be one of the greatest games ever created. Seven can't be "underrated" for exactly the same reason. Both games receive their due praise, because both games are equally brilliant. Yes, fanboys, BOTH games CAN be brilliant.
    Actually, yeah, it can be considered "underrated" even if it is well loved. That's because vi is the one stuck having to to play second fiddle to vii, as the majority consensus is that vii is the be-all-end-all of FF games. Those of us who prefer vi by a fairly wide margin over vii (vi is my favorite, and I think that vii is a mediocre game at best) can be annoyed by the fact that vi, or any other FF game for that matter, will never get quite the recognition that vii gets. When we consider vi to be vastly superior, we can indeed call it underrated when a game we don't think nearly as highly of is always held up as the FF game. It's not an issue of only "one or the other" can be good, it's that I truly am not fond of vii, completely independent of how I feel about other FF game. I think vii is overrated because it holds the number one spot for the majority (not just the number one spot, but the "this is the only FF game that matters" spot for many), and vi is underrated because it doesn't hold the number one spot, but should.

And yes, of course that's based on our opinions. How good or bad you consider a game is completely subjective, there's no need to tell me that as if it changes how I feel. So in my opinion, as well as the opinion of plenty of people, vi us underrated and vii is overrated. Since it's all subjective, it isn't worth arguing about which game is really better or deserves the number one spot the most. But don't try to argue that people can't think of their favorite game as underrated when they have a perfectly legitimate reason to.