Thread: DS version Monk!

Default DS version Monk!

Is it just me or does the Monk really, really, seriously suck in the DS version? I'm not too surprised by how few hits he can take, that's always been a problem, but now I'm hard pressed to get even get him to do half the damage my Knight is doing!

I've tried removing his weapons to see if the attack power gets higher (it doesn't) and that hasn't helped any. My party are all near level 20 and he's still only doing about 200+ damage with a single attack while my Knight's doing over 700.

Anyone know what the heck I'm doing wrong here?

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I don't know whether it is something you're doing wrong, but I had similar trouble with the Monk myself to the extent I simply didn't bother using one at all.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I didn't play around with the Monk much when I played through the DS version, but when I did it sucked a lot. SE has been on a spree of making Monk's suck recently. They gimped the Monk in all the FFI remakes terribly. SE just has no monk loving it seems anymore.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Christ, that's a real bummer. I always liked Monks. Does this mean Yang's gonna suck more than usual when I get FFIV DS later this year?

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadPsi View Post
    Christ, that's a real bummer. I always liked Monks. Does this mean Yang's gonna suck more than usual when I get FFIV DS later this year?
    No. Yang's HP is greatly increased (889 when you get him) and his "Kick" is actually useful now.

My (DS) Monk is at JL 99, my Knight is 60+. My monk consistently hits for 3000-4000 dmg whereas my Knight (with the Blood Sword and Defender) can barely break 2000 sometimes.

As a side-note, I LOVE the Blood Sword! It allows my W. Mage to focus healing on the other 2 schmucks. With the Defender equipped along side it, every attack from my Knight heals him as much (400+HP) as my JL99 W.Mage would with a single-targetted Cure spell!
    Last edited by Cyric; 10-08-2008 at 03:26 AM.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

My Monk is by far a better damage dealer than my Knight. Both lvl 62, Monk does about 1.5k more damage than my Knight, sometimes more.

Why? I'm not sure So I cant really tell you what you're doing wrong. My point I guess is the Monk isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Realm25 View Post
    My Monk is by far a better damage dealer than my Knight. Both lvl 62, Monk does about 1.5k more damage than my Knight, sometimes more.

Why? I'm not sure So I cant really tell you what you're doing wrong. My point I guess is the Monk isn't broken.

I think the problem may be that the enemies he's fighting are particularly weak to the weapons he has equipped on his Knight. I noticed my knight doing almost twice as much damage to some enemies without doing Critical. The Monk is by far the most reliable damage dealer though.

Is it just me or does the Monk really, really, seriously suck in the DS version? I'm not too surprised by how few hits he can take, that's always been a problem, but now I'm hard pressed to get even get him to do half the damage my Knight is doing!

I've tried removing his weapons to see if the attack power gets higher (it doesn't) and that hasn't helped any. My party are all near level 20 and he's still only doing about 200+ damage with a single attack while my Knight's doing over 700.

Anyone know what the heck I'm doing wrong here?
    Is your Monk bare-fisted? If he isn't, take ALL equipment out of his hands and look at his Attack.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Monk in III DS is also easy street to high HP if you use them at the start.

Yang is one of the better characters in the DS version of FFIV so don't worry
    "Everything is simpler than you think and at the same time more complex than you imagine."