Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ::What makes the best RPG Adventure?::

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For me, it's the plot, characters and depth that sell an RPG.

A well-thought-out story - not necessarily a complicated one, as long as it's told well - is worth its weight in gold. A deeply romantic story isn't always that realistic in a conflict-driven RPG plot, but a subdued or unique love story can be a nice addition, especially if the characters are endearing.

Characters should be diverse, have believable motivations and personalities, and shy away from stereotypes or simply conforming to what's considered 'cool' by a particular audience.

As for depth - by that, I mean a well-developed world with a tangible culture and back-story, not just a random assortment of towns and locations that have no apparent past, or reason for existing as they are. The plot, characters and world should all tie into each other - FFVII's a good example, with Shinra's military history, the role of Materia, and other such matters linking everything together.

President of SoulfireSoft Ledious's Avatar

OH here it is!! I had no Idea it was moved lol
    Anyway, these Ideas are awesome! But before I start commenting on them and start adding improvements to the concepts I have, I think you guys should see what I have so far. that way if you like something I have already, you wont have to wast your breath telling me something I might already have included into the game. Would you like to see what Medallion is all about?
    creative director of Soulfire Soft, public site coming soon!!! -_^

Blog Entries

I'd like to know what studio hires a guy that posts on an Final Fantasy fan board to get ideas.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hint: Vaan comes to mind..

I like Side-quests me, and a main character who is not a teenager.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
    I'd like to know what studio hires a guy that posts on an Final Fantasy fan board to get ideas.
    Considering this chap's apparently doing the music, story and artwork, I'm guessing a small-scale and informal production.
    No harm in checking out the target audience, to find out what they like or dislike.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd like to see it, and we can give some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Considering this chap's apparently doing the music, story and artwork, I'm guessing a small-scale and informal production.
    No harm in checking out the target audience, to find out what they like or dislike.
    (spoilers)
    yes your right, as it turns out, game companies are increasingly using gaming forums for public insight and opinions on other games. It helps a game company understand what they are up against as for what their audience wants and the influence that their competitors has on the public. In march, the director of super sash bros brawl went to forums in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><ST1Japan </ST1</st1:country-region>to get insight on the new title. but I’m here not to sell anything to you or get you to join anything unless you want to help us build games but that’s up to you. I just need public insight on what games are missing, what do you really want to see in an RPG, what would make it perfect.

Ok so the game play is what makes a game enjoyable and if we cant get anything right, we might as well get this right. Insight I have gotten before regarding battle systems, real time is the way to go as for fighting goes so here’s the battle system: let me know what you think -_^
    <O</O

Medallion; battle system
    ............................................................................................

This game is an adventure RPG and we want the battle system that is the most revolutionary system since zelda. Its all real time you have a total of 5 main characters a magic user, the hero, sword master, knight and archer/beast. Im thinking you can only use 3 or 4 at a time depending on how much the PS3 can handle. anyway, you can switch in between characters using the shoulder buttons. each character has his or her own special abilities. you use them to navigate your party through temples and such. you can see your enemies in real time and they can see you if you get too close. you also have party commands. whomever you are playing as is your party leader and you can give everyone commands using the D pad. there will also be special commands that pop up when you have a object or sequence you can interact with. a wall for example if you go to a wall a command will pop up that says scale on both your upper left shoulder button and the D pad. The shoulder button is for just you and you can tell your party do do the same command by hitting the d pad.

Now to engage a battle you hold down the upper right shoulder button and you automatically lock on to the enemy. you then automatically enter into battle mode. In battle mode all of the buttons change to attack combo buttons. the combos are similar to that of soul calibure's where you have thousands of possibilities, plus that adds to the skill aspect of the game. and if you want to flee all you do is let go of the shoulder button and RUN!
    when you kill all the nearby enemies, battle mode automatically deactivates.

you do level up in the game. each character has a status bar along the bottom of the screen that shows experience points health magic etc. and every time you kill an enemy in real time the XP points fly into your level up gauge in real time. so you may occasionally hear the level up music pop up in a middle of a battle if you or a team member filled their XP gauge.

there is no screen breaking or random battles. Its ALL real time.

Im also thinking about including a mix of trace and orchestrated as the background music in big boss fights.

using "Magic":

this is what makes the fighting engine so much different from other fighting engines out there. you do use "magic" or thats what everyone thinks it is. Its actually called Soulfire, Ill explain the history of Soulfire later in the thread. Anyway, there are two ways of using soulfire or magic if you will. there is hand-Soulfire(HS), and combat-Soulfire(CS). HS moves are mainly used to inflict status effects and has special traits. HS also is the strongest form of soulfire at a high level but slows down the user. CS moves are magic attacks that require a weapon to work, these attacks are meant to inflict damage collectively and unlike HS it does not slow your movement. In other words it flows with you and is best for combat.

There are also higher levels of CS and HS that only certain players can achieve, advanced hand_Soulfire and advanced combat_soulfire. This list shows which character gets what according to Magic:
    .................................................................................................... ....
    Vaun(hearo): sword, long-sword, heavenly weapons, duel sword, staff, spear, short bow, snake, hand soulfire, advanced combat soulfire.

Sarf(archer, healer, nomad) knife duel-knife/short sword, short bow/long bow, crossbow, advanced compact bow, combat soulfire, hand soulfire.

Roland(knight, heavyweight) long-sword, duel long-sword, Claymore, ax, duel snakes, combat soulfire.

Felia(Soulfire artist, the female) duel knife, short sword, short bow, cross bow, soulfire weapons, advanced hand soulfire.

sword master(swift fighter, light weight)short sword duel short sword, sword,duel-spin knifes, staff, combat soulfire.
    .................................................................................................... ......
    Anyway, Soulfire has levels and every time your Soulfire level increases, you learn more attacks or the HS/CS becomes more affective. Now because of the nature of soulfire, every time you defeat an enemy you gain soulfire in the SF gauge. When you use an HS or CS based move, it depletes the gauge. If you use HS or CS in a fight and you defeat you gain soulfire XP along with your regular XP. You have an XP gauge that has two different colored bars in it. Blue for regular XP and light blue for soulfire XP. If you fill the light blue bar to the to the top, your soulfire gains a level.
    Ok, now here's where the fighting gets interesting. You know about combos in other games, well in medallion there are attack sequences. There are attack sequences in both soulfire and nonsoulfire based attacks. An attack sequence is basically a never ending combo thats gets stronger and faster if you keep up the combo. Lets say you press X to start your first non soulfire move you then press a different button combination to create a combo if you don't get hit or countered, you can keep adding on attacks to the combo and every time you do it gets faster and more powerful. So lets say your character can use CS and you press triangle to activate it then you can do an attack sequence and if you keep it up, your attack can get extremely powerful and shiny!

Now I can show you some art and screens next. ^_^
    Last edited by Ledious; 08-02-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I don't want to sound like a dick, but it just sounds like he's on his own with this. A quick google search of Soulfire revealed his DA page and he's 18. I just hope he understands the amount of work that actually goes into making a a game. I've wrked around this industry long enough now to see people like this come and go. They have their ideas, but fail to realise all the stuff that goes with it.

But if this is what he wants to do, who am I to stop him?

Good luck.
    You hold my heart in your manly hands I wanna feel the throb of your handsome gland. I wanna hold you tight like a newborn kitten, against my flesh like a cashmere mitten. Tickly tick, I'm makin' skin bump heaven and all the way down it's lookin' cleanly shaven. Prickety pricks, it's stubble on stubble I better slow down or I'm in real trouble. Want you, touch you, feel you, taste you! Knick knack whacky whack 'till I see the man stew. spin you around let me see that hole! I'm a tunnelin' in a like a short hair mole. Once I'm inside I'm gonna leave a trace, half in there and half on that face! One finger, two finger, there fingers gone! Mano a mano I love you John!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Meh, his ideas sound rather interesting, certainly something I would play. It sounds a bit like Rogue Galaxy, as far as combat, but it certainly intrigues me. XD

Blog Entries

Default this guys got another thread too in the artists gallery

http://forums.eyesonff.com/artists-f...ept-art-_.html

me personally this sounded like someone that steals others ideas. me myself would want money for my thoughts if its gonna inspire a game.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post

me personally this sounded like someone that steals others ideas. me myself would want money for my thoughts if its gonna inspire a game.
    Are you saying this isn't his project or he's recycling ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post

Wait, you guys don't think I stole these Ideas do you? those are ALL copy written by Soulfire. Thats my topic, the art is all concepts that my members and I drew and the screen shots are real screen shots of the game. Besides what game could I be taking them from or where are they inspired from? If those weren't ours, the fact that I'm saying they are could put me in jail for fraud. Everything I'm telling you is true. we do have a studio and It doesn't matter how old you are you just have to be dedicated if you want to start something like this. ^_^ SoulFire Soft has 10 members and we are planning on merging with another independent company soon. Our first project wont be this one, we are currently building a puzzle game for Microsoft XNA which means it will go on Xbox live once Microsoft approves it. This is no lie.
    Now anyway is there any changes you would like to see in the current concepts I have so far?

I've wrked around this industry long enough now to see people like this come and go. They have their ideas, but fail to realise all the stuff that goes with it.

But if this is what he wants to do, who am I to stop him?

Good luck.
    your exactly right it is impossible to build this game now even with 10 members. this game will take at leased 30 programmers just imagine how many people it will take if you include the others, artists, writers, modelers etc. So we are starting very very small and we have built 3 small games for experience even before we started on our first public project. It wont be for years before we start production on Medallion so it gives us plenty of time to come up with more concepts and improve Ideas. Might as well start early so we can make the quality of this game top notch in every aspect. ^_^

Meh, his ideas sound rather interesting, certainly something I would play. It sounds a bit like Rogue Galaxy, as far as combat, but it certainly intrigues me. XD
    thanx ^_^
    Last edited by Ledious; 08-04-2008 at 06:11 AM.

Something that is very open-ended. Sort of like TES4. However, one thing I've been thinking of lately, with regards to Neverwinter Nights 2, is a game with two parallels of the same story. What I mean is to have the typical "good-vs-evil" story, but depending on your disposition you can choose which side to fight for. Essentially you'll have 2 different endings: one where the good vanquishes evil, and the other where evil achieves it's goal of world-domination or complete destruction. What does that have to do with NWN2 you ask? Well, it seems that no matter what your alignment is with NWN2, you ALWAYS have to run the course of saving the world. A bad alignment just makes the game harder because nobody's willing to help you. A variation of that idea could simply be two sides of a war (sort of like the 4 races of EVE-Online) where everybody is neutral with everybody at the beginning, but depending on their actions can end up fighting for one cause or the other. Simply, it's an example that the only thing that separates enemies is their perception of what is right, not necessarily good-vs-evil.

Other than that, a solid (back)story and some romance if you can fit it in smoothly wouldn't hurt it.
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

TES4? That is an excellent Idea and is very popular concept, but I tried to incorporate that into this game but it just messed up things. It gives the player allot of options which could ruin the depth of the story. The story is the most important thing in this game so far and we even have the story for the second game thought up. In the second game however, you play as the "bad guy" but your cause for being the enemy of the world is for good.

We are also creating another game concept that we plan to build in the near future. It is an MMORPG called Clouded Oceans. In that game you can be both good or bad and according on the role you play, you can change the story.
    Thanks for your help ^_^Ill see if we can incorporate this in medallion, if not, there will defiantly be something like this in one of our later games. If you have any other suggestions please tell me -_^
    Last edited by Ledious; 08-06-2008 at 05:20 AM.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Square holds the key of success maybe thinking like they did 18 years ago would lead into a great rpg game..

Whatever, good luck with your game.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..