Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ::What makes the best RPG Adventure?::

President of SoulfireSoft Ledious's Avatar

Default the best RPG Adventure discussion

Hi everyone, I'm making concepts for a future video game for a game studio I'm with. The game is called Medallion and I'm doing music story and art. I would like to ask you guys som questions regarding the key elements that make a good RPG Adventure ^_^ here it goes!

Ok to get started, I need a story and it would be great if you could just tell me what you like best in an RPG as for story goes, do you like romance in an RPG or more conflict? things like that ^_^

I'm just curious for your opinions so that I can write a better story and make better concepts
    Last edited by Ledious; 08-01-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    creative director of Soulfire Soft, public site coming soon!!! -_^

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like stories with alternate universes and odd characters. And let the villian be a bit less badass and more intelligent, the sort that messes with youtr mind, or have them be in your party for a large portion of the games so he/she/it can use you to complete their evil plan. Oh, and I want more nonhuman and gay characters, please!

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moved to General Gaming Discussion forum.

I've always wanted a game where you're NOT the hero. But I guess Square supposedly just took care of that one for me

Be pretty funny if a prophecy gets ruined. The chosen one, your leader, gets killed or something. Or turns evil (Vader rip-off. I'm sure you could do a better more believable job than Lucas)

I like bad guys with intelligence. Ones who paved the way to hell with good intentions. Even so far as having a respectable code of honor toward the good guys

Just a few thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I've always wanted a game where you're NOT the hero. But I guess Square supposedly just took care of that one for me

Be pretty funny if a prophecy gets ruined. The chosen one, your leader, gets killed or something. Or turns evil (Vader rip-off. I'm sure you could do a better more believable job than Lucas)

I like bad guys with intelligence. Ones who paved the way to hell with good intentions. Even so far as having a respectable code of honor toward the good guys

Just a few thoughts
    Soul Nomad is perfect for Anti-Hero game.
    ROSSIU = FEI

Where is your God, now?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath in Despair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post

Just a few thoughts
    Soul Nomad is perfect for Anti-Hero game.
    Never heard of it o.o Details??

Articles
    Blog Entries

I just like being a good guy, but maybe an unlawful Robin Hood type, or a female character or an older character. Oh, and have females with some courage and strength who don't require saving every ten seconds.

Most important thing is Story(and Characters), after that is Music. These are the critical things.
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

I like stories (not just in games) where it makes you think. It doesn't give you all the details, just the necessary ones. Then you have to think about the mystery.

It gets your mind involved and those are more memorable.

Accidently leaving plotholes don't count as leaving for the mystery, so don't do that!

I'd say that a battles system and character micro-managing are my number one most important things in an RPG. Story is next.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I want a battles system that is very deep and strategic, but not boring or overly complicated, and I want a fresh and nice mixture or Realt Time and Turn-Based gameplay. Oh, and having some nonlinear control over some party members would be nice. (Like romance, friendships, much like Baldur's Gate or KOTOR, look into them.)

And if you can't be good, at least give us a choice for alignment.

I like a story that is basically realistic, something that you see have probably happened sometime in our history too (empire conflicts, beytrayal of kings and leaders etc).

As for gameplay, I am very fond of being able to choose race, class, alignments etc for myself. The more I can choose from, the better. (Oblivion, Morrowind and Baldur's Gate I and II are good examples of what I mean).
    My personal blog - Awareness and Geekiness.

Zanshaa Docks - a brand new geek forum, up and running!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I prefer a story that is able to explore the background of the world and the characters. I like games that have a dictionary feature because it lets me find out more information about specific terms and phrases unique to the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

I prefer some story that has the main character not being -too- over powered. I like the sense of having some sort of realism and not always being some huge hero. Being an ordinary character that manages to do some semi-extraordinary things. Maybe have the hero be a part of some large army where he leads a small unit. Make it so that he can't take on a whole army by himself though. He would need to rely on others to help him out, but he can still handle himself in a fair fight or even a little unbalanced fight (one vs two, one vs three, MAYBE one vs four).

"Did I become a hero?"

Project: N00b

Articles
    Blog Entries

what i look for most in an RPG is story, gameplay, music and art direction.

It's not really a set formula though. Some of the most cliched stories have made for some of the best games, and some games with generic battle systems can really win you over with music and the way it lays out its world.

There's other things too like how monotonous it is. Stuff like that can turn you off fairly quickly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I prefer a story that is able to explore the background of the world and the characters. I like games that have a dictionary feature because it lets me find out more information about specific terms and phrases unique to the game.
    I agree with Roogle. This is why I liked Dynasty Warriors. If I ever had a question about a character I could just venture over to the encyclopedia and find out!