Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Magic Is Useless..."

I used Magick all the time! Whoever said it was useless was just...dumb. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    Technicks were pretty much useless for me.
    Yeah, same here. Besides Steal & Libra, most of the others were just...there.

Blog Entries

Default magic was good for some hunts where they were imune to attack

telekinesis took over magic for me cause the only time I used magic was for flying enemies. Thats not ture for cure cura curaga or curaja. With having the ultamite weapons attack was easy enough to do anything.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

XII and IX are the only games were I can have as much fun with a party of tanks as a party of mages, as well as a balance of both (which I'm striving for in XII)

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

On my second play through, I tried to create balanced job types for each character. I believe Penelo was my black mage (black, green, and arcane magic) and Ashe was my white mage (white and time magic). Vaan was a paladin (sword/shield tank with basic white magic and the taunt ability). Fran was a bit more red mage (basic white and black magic, weak arcane magic, and great green magic). Basch was my pure damage dealer (originally zodiac spear, then masamune). Balthier was my ranged damage dealer and thief.

This made the game buttloads of fun. Magic definitely wins.

Now see, I'm focusing almost exclusively on the top half of the liscense board for all characters, so I got everyone knowing every spell I have, plus all battle lores, magic lores, swiftness, channelings, other augments. I typically only use Libra in terms of techs, and have almost everyone have a decent weapon (I'm on my way to Draklor, and my main party has some kinda nnja sword, idk, it's one step up from the Osafune) and everyone's gambits are set to cure first (if in a dire situation), then attack. I'm cruising through the game at this point, with all six characters being at about level 30. I ALMOST took down trickster, but unfortunately ran short on MP.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Penelo was my magick caster. I gave her optimal equipment for offensive and defensive magick casting and it made a difference in many battles and boss battles throughout the game.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Learning quickenings to triple your MP and equipping mage gear for your casters is absolutely insane. If you put effort into getting the quickenings, even early on you can get as much as +90 MP from gear this way. Helps an awful lot.

hmm just had a strange experience
    i to would agree with the original post for almost all of the game
    but just fought omega mark 12 for the first time and my mages(penelo and ashe surprisingly) where more a liability than anything else
    by the time they had casted scourge once they could have used a physical attack at least 3 times and they kept getting knocked out all the time
    had to eventualy just leave them dead and just had my fighters wear the fecker down

for yiazmat i may just make those 2 into physical fighters also and see if thats any use

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I didn't really use magic. Except oil/firaga, maybe some faith/bravery or whatever, and cure spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    it's also very useful for flying monsters. Rather than have a ranged weapon equipped, I just have one of my non-mage characters cast Oil and have my mage cast Fire magic.
    Same.I think 80% of black magic i used in the game was on flying monsters.
    White magic was very important too,maybe more than in any other FF i've played.

Banned

The only time I really use magic is in a buff/debuff situation. And when facing a mark/boss with a particular weakness. Reflect+aga. Triple the attack, double the damage, and oil if its fire weak. Pure madness. Also, status magic ftw.

I found magic to be useful in this game (though I typically use it in every other game quite a bit as well). Though I have to admit that I found status magic to be far more useful in this game than any other in the series.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

magic was pretty great. I loved a lot of the arcane spells

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the AJman View Post
    I found magic to be useful in this game (though I typically use it in every other game quite a bit as well). Though I have to admit that I found status magic to be far more useful in this game than any other in the series.
    Thats mainly because SE realized status magic has been useless because they decided to make everything immune to EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the AJman View Post
    Thats mainly because SE realized status magic has been useless because they decided to make everything immune to EVERYTHING.
    I completely agree, the regular monsters weren't immune to most of the status effects, but it was always just faster and more efficient to kill them with attack or anything that causes direct damage. Than the bosses, who would have been the best opportunity to use status effects, are immune to almost all of them.