Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Eyes on Plays Final Fantasy MQ!

Soon after arriving in Foresta, Armoiree commits to one of the biggest rules of Heroes of Prophecy: breaking and entering. Eying the house nearest the entrance, Armoiree barges right in, only to find that the person he's looking for conveniently lives here. Armoiree explains the situation to Kaeli, who seems rather eager to leave the house [1]. Her mother, however, has other plans, which are conveniently cast aside when Armoiree unveils the Tree Wither. Armoiree wins over Kaeli [2] (who didn't really need convincing, but hey, you can't be a Hero of Prophecy if you're not a winner), and the two set out for their grand adventure.
    Before leaving, Armoiree chats it up with the townies. Among them are a schizophrenic who believes he is the old man from the opening(since no one could feasibly know you are the Hero of Legend, it's been like ten minutes), a young lady who allows you to take a 1-second power nap in her bed, and an old man who is startled by the sudden onset of aging [3; animated].
    Armoiree also comes upon the old man he helped out back in Level Forest [4]. The man is thankful for Armoiree's assistance, and offers him the contents of the chest in the back of his house. What he neglects to mention is that it's it's blocked by unjumpable barrels [5]. One can only imagine, due to the dated nature of the graphics, the small, crooked smile that creaked across the old man's lips as he saw Armoiree attempt to leave over the barrels he so cleverly set up.

The demented old man's plans are soon foiled, as rocks behind his home lead to the chest, containing the Cure spell [1]. Having already raided the rest of the town prior, the duo set out to Level Forest.
    The Forest Level contains many unique creatures, such as Goblins... [2]
    Err... Brownies... [3]
    As well as Slimes. They can both be very nasty if they all aim for Armoiree, which amazingly they don't. Kaeli takes all the hits like the big, strong axe-wielding woman she is, while Armoiree attacks with his pitiful sword while occasionally healing.
    Eventually the duo clears out the local fauna to extinction. With nowhere else to turn, Armoiree heads to the glowing Plot Tree [4]. Sure enough the glowing tree sets off Kaeli's invisible bullcrap senses [5].
    Last edited by Xalioniaf; 08-02-2008 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exdeath View Post
    Damn, and thats when school starts and I'll have no time to play. CURSE YOU SQUARE-ENIX!
    It's small. Play it during class. :P

My PSP can emulate SNES, so I might try that.
    ALSO: at the Ice pyramid, episode 2 coming soon!

The tree transmogrifies into a minotaur, which immediately takes Kaeli's axe as a threat to his well-being and strikes her down with a poison. Fortunately for Armoiree, she's still got the power to fight. The two attack the Minotaur, who puts up a formidable fight, but goes down at the end. It's worthwhile to note that the Minotaur is probably related to Rubicante in some way, as he gets closer and closer to flashing you as he takes damage [1; animated].
    Afterwards, Kaeli goes down for the count. Her mother magically appears at the worst possible moment, as if all her fears about the danger of coming were suddenly confirmed. They deduce that only the Elixir, a rare item in a cave to the north, can heal her. Armoiree volunteers to retrieve it for her, obviously in hopes that tonight he'll get a little bit of lovin' in return [2, animated]. Kaeli offers Armoiree her axe to assist him in his quest of going two blocks away, which he accepts with glee. The ladies disappear, leaving Armoiree to his own devices, which include helping the deforestation epidemic in any way he can [3].
    Halfway to the Sand Temple, Armoiree comes across an arena in the middle of the forest [4]. Inside he goes through ten grueling rounds of solo monster battles. One thing that's interesting is that the Mad Plants are weak to his shiny new axe. He chops through nine rounds of trees and frogs. Armoiree prepares for a tough fight for the title of Level Forest Arena Champion.
    A grin escapes his lips as he gazes upon his final enemy... [5].
    (I've got everything up to the first Crystal taken, I'm just gonna stop here for now and do some laundry. Be back later )

Im off to a friends house, so I will also be off for a while.

Water Crystal obtained!

Does this mean I'm already halfway done with this game? That'd be good cause I'd like to finish it before I go to bed tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Having managed to commit Genocide on the beast population of the Level Forest, Armoiree arrives at the Sand Temple [1]. Upon entering, he find that (surprisingly enough) the temple is completely devoid of life. Of course, this all makes sense when he realizes that there's nothing here. The chest is also (now not terribly surprisingly) empty, as it is soon revealed that the great Treasure Hunter Tristam has looted the goods before Armoiree [2]. It's also revealed that Armoiree is, in fact, a stupid brat, as he quips that he can't afford Tristam's exuberant for the Elixir as he only gets 2GP a month for allowance (not that I ever see any of that money come my way. No, that'd be too easy) [3].Tristam puts up a deal: Armoiree assists him with some silly little treasure hunt, and he'll hand over the Elixir at no cost. Armoiree agrees, because it's the only way he can advance the plot.
    Together our new Dynamic Duo set out to the Bone Dungeon. Actually, they go to the arena to the west first to endanger more wildlife. [4]
    Here we see just exactly how overpowered our characters are. When Tristam can throw his ninja stars and hit toads which are resistant to his ninja stars and STILL kill them, we've got a bit of missmatching going on [5].
    After obliterating any source of life by the sea, our heroes make their way to the Bone Dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    Water Crystal obtained!

Does this mean I'm already halfway done with this game? That'd be good cause I'd like to finish it before I go to bed tonight.
    I recall there being something after all of the crystals. At least 2 dungeons, not too much.

In the first room of the Verb Noun, our heroes come upon fearsome Sand Worms. And that's a misstatement, these sandworms die in one hit like pretty much every other enemy in this dungeon. It's sad to see such staples of Final Fantasy go down so easily. [1; animated] Our Dynamic Duo continues through the dungeon, fending off semi-random encounters in action-packed turn based gameplay.
    Sometime later, Armoiree finds a door which is impassable due to rocks blocking the doorway. However Tristam, as prepared as any plot device should be, whips out bombs from nowhere to blow open the doorway. He offers Armoiree fifty bombs for a mere 30GP [2], which Armoiree later realizes is a complete ripoff as there's bombs deeper in the dungeon. Deeper in the dungeon our Dynamic Duo encounters monsters with different sprites than others. These turn out to just be Behemoth and Minotaur clones, but the most amazing thing is how they take more than one hit to kill [3].
    In a cave at the very end of the dungeon, Armoiree spots a monster who's sprite is four times the size of any normal monster [4]. Thus, Armoiree and Tristam prepare themselves for what could possibly be an intense battle, most likely preceded by a grand speech by the monster himself [5].
    Err... maybe not. Begin battle!

Flamerus Rex is a beast. Not only is his sprite four times the size of anyone else, but he's also got three weakened states that our heroes have to trudge through before he goes down [1; animated]. Armoiree's damage is paltry compared to Tristam's, but this is easily remedied by the Quake spell they picked up earlier in the dungeon. And thus, another big bad enemy is taken out purely by spamming.
    After Flamerus Rex (re)dies, the Earth Crystal appears [2]. Tristam doesn't care, but then again he's not a Hero of Prophecy. Tristam takes the treasures, including a grappling hook (damnit, I would've preferred that over saving someone who'll probably die later anyway), and hands over the elixir. He then runs off to do whatever thi-... treasure hunters do, forcing our young hero to navigate through the empty Bone Dungeon on his own.
    Returning to Foresta, Armoiree prepares for some sweet lovin' from Kaeli for saving her life. Unfortunately, he's shot down when she mentions she can visit Spencer in Aquaria [3](I suppose Aquaa didn't quite work). Armoiree volunteers to go in her steed, secretly plotting to murder this "Spencer" so he can have Kaeli all to himself [4].
    And, of course, Kaeli's mother shows absolute gratitude for saving her daughter's life. [5]
    Thus ends the Earth Crystal chapter! Now I gotta start playing again...

I don't like this game because it's so damn insulting. It was made because Square thought Americans were too stupid for standard RPGs. xP

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    I don't like this game because it's so damn insulting. It was made because Square thought Americans were too stupid for standard RPGs. xP
    Japanese name: "Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest". I'm not kidding.

I have to say I don't mind this game being very easy.

They could have gotten a bit more creative with the naming though. I mean, Foresta? Aquaria? Fireburg? Whatever the Wind City is called? Come on.

I've been waiting years for EoFF to do this! =D

Best...game...evar!!!
    This space intentionally left blank.