Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing

He half-asses it until about halfway through, at which point he then decides to compete.

It's why he almost lost his medal #7 this Olympics. He won by :00.01

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

...No. Thats called conservation, you keep your energy till the second half of the race and pull ahead when your opponent can't come back because they already used it up pulling ahead the first half. Phelps isn't the only one who does that.

I know that. :rolleyes2

But watch his first race and then watch the seventh race and tell me there is no difference in the demeanor of his swimming.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well, I'd say thats because of the amount races inbetween them, duh. I'd imagine he'd slow after 15 or something races.

Ah, well.

His smugness doesn't make me like him any less, I just wish he wouldn't have been so smug later. I'm still glad he won 8 TIMES.

Oh for the love of god I hope he isn't on steroids. Swimming is one of the few respectable sports that still exists...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

New Zealand at the start of yesterday: Either just one bronze, or possibly none at all.
    New Zealand now: Two golds, one silver, two bronzes.

Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

UK moves up to 3rd on the table with some more Cycling & water sport ownage!
    1st time getting a medal in apperatus gymnastics as well! (even if he was cheated out of silver because the judges fancied the other guy)
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

The GB team is doing soo good . I stayed up till like 3am watching the marathon last night too xD

I thought the Olympics was 'boring' at first but I just keep watching it now, it's so interesting ^_^

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

You just don't mess with Britain when it comes to cycling, rowing and sailing. You just don't do it.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    You just don't mess with Britain when it comes to cycling, rowing and sailing. You just don't do it.
    Word.

I'm so proud of us!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    New Zealand at the start of yesterday: Either just one bronze, or possibly none at all.
    New Zealand now: Two golds, one silver, two bronzes.

I saw Valerie Vili's winning performance in the shot put, and I can say you're so lucky to be spared the godawful TVNZ commentary that went with that competition. Some journalist prick was really butthurt that she wouldn't give him a comment the previous day, and then during the entire gold-medal match the commentator was going on about her weight. Non-stop. It was an absolute freaking disgrace, especially when she was doing her victory lap and the chump stated, twice in a row, how she'd found a sport that was good for someone with her body type.

Just got finished watching the Women's Gymnastics Vault and it's pretty lame they gave Hong Un Jong (PRK) the Gold instead of Oksana Chusovitina (GER). Chusovitina stuck both of her landings almost perfectly where Jong stepped out on the first one and the second was decent, but by no means great. Although I think the biggest upset was Chang Fei (CHN) winning Bronze after falling was pretty outrageous and was probably due to her being on the Chinese team.

I'm probably behind or something but blame NBC, not me.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Liu Xiang so gutted

So, what's this I hear about some Chinese gymnasts being too young?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Some news reporters were digging around for archive stories under a year old on the Chinese women's gymnastics team (To verify their age? For a historical perspective piece? Who knows...) and found lots of stories about the gymnists where they are reported to being 13-15, young, up-and-coming prodigies, etc... Then they were entered into the Olympics as 16 year olds, which is the minimum age to compete. China states that their passports prove their are at least 16 years old while others argue that China could have easily faked the passports as it would have been to their advantage to get these girls into the games. Meanwhile, the news stories the reporters claimed to have found have mysteriously disappeared from the web, so it's anyone's guess now as to how old these girls really are, if there were any news stories, etc...

Basically, we haven't had any doping or other scandals at these Olympics and it wouldn't be the Olympics without some form of drama revolving around the athletes all being legit.
    Figaro Castle