Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

It's quite funny how many people are shocked by HARDKOAR SPORTS that they thought were quite tame. The olympics are always great fun to watch. I only caught part of the dressage for the triple event equestrian thingy (my god, one of the horses was absolutely perfect! He was the most beautiful thing...it was one of the english girls' I think...) and part of one of the wimminz volleyball matches. They were wearing goggles, is that to protect face from ball hittage?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

was it court or beach volleyball? if beach it might be to protect them from sand.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    was it court or beach volleyball? if beach it might be to protect them from sand.
    It was beach, so yeah, sand blockage.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    It's pretty common to use lip-synch at major outdoor events. Everything from the national anthem singers before football games, to the opera stars at previous Olympic ceremonies (Pavarotti in '92, for instance) - they record it beforehand, to ensure the acoustics and details are just right.

Again, it's not a huge commie cheat conspiracy by China in this case; simply normal practice for an event like this. Especially in summer.
    It wasn't even the same girl. :P
    I thought that everyone already knew it was lip-synched. You'd have to have not been paying attention to think otherwise. Her lip-synching was of Britney Spears quality, and was about as obvious as can be.

China is pathetic for not allowing a girl to sing in front of an audience because she is deemed ugly. Its snubbing the girl of the recognition she deserves for her talent and making her look like a fool as well. If I was the little girl I would of said F-you and not sing at all.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    China is pathetic for not allowing a girl to sing in front of an audience because she is deemed ugly. Its snubbing the girl of the recognition she deserves for her talent and making her look like a fool as well. If I was the little girl I would of said F-you and not sing at all.
    Not when they point a gun to your head :P

President of SoulfireSoft Ledious's Avatar

the opening Ceremony was the most incredible event I have ever seen in my life! o_O
    creative director of Soulfire Soft, public site coming soon!!! -_^

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Sad but true. (Of course, this was why the entire ceremony was perfect to the nth degree) Hopefully the Olympics will give China and the chinese people a golden oppurtunity to open their country up a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Sad but true. (Of course, this was why the entire ceremony was perfect to the nth degree) Hopefully the Olympics will give China and the chinese people a golden oppurtunity to open their country up a little more.
    I wonder if anybody snuck anything in that tells the Chinese people about Tiananmen Square.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    Interesting news: they've just admitted that part of the opening ceremony was faked via CG, namely the firework 'footprints' stepping toward the stadium. A fine piece of special effects work, though, and probably a good idea since the real thing could've misfired in so many ways. Still pretty cheeky, though.
    Apparently the little girl who was oh-so-preciously singing wasn't actually singing, either. Little Chinese Milli-Vanilli girl.
    That makes me incredibly angry for the little girl who's actually singing.
    I like Kung-Fu.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Virtually all of the opening and the fireworks were real, yeah - it's just those footprints that weren't.
    That makes this a pretty impressive forgery, then.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 08-13-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: quoted the wrong post

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Virtually all of the opening and the fireworks were real, yeah - it's just those footprints that weren't.
    That makes this a pretty impressive forgery, then.
    Best. CGI. EVER.
    I like Kung-Fu.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmm... if the footstep fireworks were actually done, I hope we'll hear it soon. But I could imagine some 'home camera' footage being CG'd, too, to add to the illusion.

As for the complaining about a different actress being used for the singing... again, people acting like this was an evil commie plot rather than a simple part of performing arts. Yeah, they chose a performer who looked the part, while using the voice talents of someone who could sing well. It was all about putting on the right show. If you could interview all the performers dressed in cultural minority garb, you'd probably find that some of them aren't actually members of that particular minority.
    When Jack sings in The Nightmare Before Christmas, it's not Chris Sarandon, his voice actor, but a substitute. Same when Yuna's singing in FFX-2. Should those actors have got into a huff because their talents weren't considered good enough?

The girl who actually sang at the games had her voice heard and appreciated by countless millions of people. That's pretty cool in its own right, especially for a seven year old.
    I wonder if anybody snuck anything in that tells the Chinese people about Tiananmen Square.
    There were a butt-ton of protests at and around the Square in the leadup to the games, so plenty of people do indeed know - even though it's basically a forbidden topic in the Chinese media, except for the one-sided representation which tells of the military having to respond to mob violence and vandalism by a rampaging horde of protesters.

I'm surprised at just how widespread the view is, that everyone who lives and works in a communist country is a one-sided and one-dimensional evil-doer, like a villain from a Cold War comic book. The reality's a lot more complex than you'd think.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think you guys are misinterpreting the fireworks thing. All the fireworks were set off. But filming explosives like fireworks would have been dangerous and logistically challenging for the filmcrew in the helicopters. So while the fireworks were being displayed, instead of having the helicopter fly around and try and capture the footprints, they chose to show a cgi of it instead.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man, imagine being told you're not cute enough at like 7 or whatever years old, to sing your national anthem at the olympics. ;;