Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So give me tips

Default So give me tips

So I've restarted this game. Last year, I restarted it but after I moved, I didn't have any time to play it, and now that I have access to my PS2 again, my memory cards are mysteriously missing so I'm restarting it again. I was just past the Tomb of Raithwall (I think) in my last file, and I'm about to cross the sandseas, so I'm getting close to where I left off.

One thing about this game is that it's a lot more fun the second time, because you don't have to learn the whole license grid and gambit thing again, so you can just focus on the kickass exploration aspect and the hunts and whatnot.

Anyways, I'm curious about any tips or tricks the fine people here at EoFF may have learned that might help me as I go. I just learned about an accessory that lets you use items on enemies to cause their opposite effects, as in antidotes that cause Poison. Of course, I know about the Zodiac Spear, so I'll be keeping an eye out for that. I also know that quickenings can triple your maximum MP. What other hints would you like to provide to me?

Blog Entries

Default makes for great scrambled eggs.

Well the best thing I can tell you is to try and kill both death walls at the tomb. Then a path is accessable and you may get a good sword. I think its a death bringer not sure. also The Ozmone plains is an alright place to learn exp and LP (hunts are better for LP). The moment you can buy some Embroidered Tippet and Golden Amulet accessories. Plus getting 6 bubble belts is always good.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

I just killed both of the Demon Walls mere minutes ago and got the Demon's Bane sword. :P Over twice as strong as the next strongest sword I have right now. I forgot about the Golden Amulets. I think you get those in the Viera village, right?

Blog Entries

Default my reply

You can get golden amulets at rabanastre low town ( later in the game) and at Mt. Bur-Omisace.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Don't die.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, let's see. It's been too long for me to give good advice anymore. I'm pretty sure there's a hunt you can do for that one village, what's it called. The one where Ashe and Vaan talk on that bridge. You know the big goofy looking bird-somethings people. Anyway, I'm pretty sure a Golden Amulet is a reward for a hunt from one of them, and it comes way before they can be purchased.

Um. Press left or right on the directional pad to click on an enemy so you can see their weaknesses? Better than bringing up the menu and clicking on it just to see.

Target lines are for faggots and should be turned off or Jesus hates you.

Use Vaan because he's way stronger than everyone else

In the Lhusu Mines there's that bridge where the skeletons repeatedly rise. You can get a huge chain here and get lots of stuff to sell until you're rich. You'll get tons of LP in the process. When they stop popping up just run a few screens away and then go back, but make sure not to kill anything else and break your chain.

I can't think of anything else.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 08-23-2008 at 06:01 AM.

Dude, I INVENTED the Lhusu Mines skeleton chaining thing.

I'm not using Vaan because he's a mallrat.

I didn't know about that golden amulet. That's awesome. I'm on my way to that village now. :P

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Definitely get Golden Amulets and Embroidered Tippets or whatever as soon as you can!

...and I agree, this game was five times better the second playthrough xD

Well I'm so sorry you invented chaining! I didn't know you were Matsuno himself! We should totally wrestle in mud.

I think you have to initially get that one in Rabanastre. If it's not in the actual village don't flip your cocoon until you check there too.

I always accept hunts as soon as they become available because there's absolutely no reason not to. :P

Banned
    Blog Entries

Guns are better the Bows, especially when Fran uses them.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You can steal ribbons from lv. 99 Red Chocobos that randomly spawn in the Ozmone Plains.

One of the Bangaa's outside Migelo's shop makes a hilarious reference to FFIV.

Casting vanish on your whole party and confuse on one of them causes some fun times.

Soul Eater is a better ability than most people give it credit for.

There's an amusing mini-game in Rabanastre where you have to help a Viera find her soul mate.

There is also a pretty cool side quest involving a Seeq named Jowy in Nalbina that gives a bit of background info on a certain important character that leaves you too soon.

Don't sell the Great Serpentskin.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, really. DON'T SELL THE GREAT SERPENTSKIN.

I've got plenty of tips that I learnt when I had the game, but now I'm a 360 geek, and can't remember much. I remember some pretty gnarly training spots, if you want them?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I, too, had a much easier and more fun experience on my second playthrough... though I can't really add to what others have already said, in terms of handy hints.

Except to say that a second game is the perfect opportunity to go for the Zodiac Spear, which kicks many bottoms in rapid succession. There's some level-grinding, boss-fighting and run-for-your-life-ing involved in getting it, but it's well worth it for a weapon that turns one character into a nigh-unstoppable powerhouse while their level is still in the low 20s.

:edit:

Oh yeah... what Demon Dude said about guns: often, it's true. In my current game, I'm keeping Balthier's weapon licenses almost dedicated to gunnery, and it's helpful. The attack number may be low, but guns ignore the enemy's defence stat, so more often than not they'll have an advantage. Especially if you've got a range of elemental and status ammo.

Don't hesitate to use Elixirs whenever necessary. I always tend to hoard mine throughout the game, because of their rarity and power, but that just means I end up with way too many at the final fights.

Given the choice between gaining a few levels and gaining some better armour, go for the armour. Keeping your team's gear up to date is a must, unless you really like resurrecting on every other turn.

Oh, also Balthier takes 0.2 seconds longer then other characters to attack with guns and Fran takes 0.2 seconds longer to attack with bows for some stupid reason, so you might want to give them different weapons to what they start with.