View Poll Results: How general is it?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's general.

12 75.00%
  • It isn't not general.

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How "General" Is "General Chat"?

Unhappy How "General" Is "General Chat"?

Because of course it's general. But do you think it's general enough? Maybe General Chat is too general for you?

Sometimes I fear one post can make a thread too random to "be a topic" (as if that really matters), and other times one false move makes the thread "srs bsns," and then we're dealing with EoEO material, and that's just wrong.

How general do you generally feel General chat generally is?

Bonus points for using the word "general," along with any variants such as "generally," "generalize," "generalmente" or "Surgeon General."

Why hello there newbie. Tidus_the_Almighty's Avatar

I'm sorry, I'm generally not seeing the general purpose of this. However, I'm not the General of this thread, so my post will be generalized with the others as being general peons.
    Well, now, Gandhi, since you don’t grasp the fact that I think you’re incompetent, ladies and gentlemen, pay attention please: presenting the world’s longest “Shoosh”. Mmh…Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I’m goin’ echo and…stop. I’m not committing the way I normally do. When you go away, and regroup, maybe see you later.

I think General Chat is pretty general, though not as general as it generally would be without EoEO, The Lounge, et al.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

General Chat is the very model of a major general. It has information animal, vegital, and mineral.

On the first page of GC I see threads about Barack-Rolling, Crimes, Captain Maxx apparently being a sentai soldier, and the questioning of BoB's existence. I don't see how you can get any more General then that.

Hell I think somewhere amid that chaos there's some Surgeon General's warnings, that generalize about the general problems facing a general chat forum. But the generalness of the general chat is still generally questioned.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Blog Entries

I think general chat isnt genital General enough.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Agreed. Most general chat threads can go in the newbie forum or the eyes on each other general seriousness forum.

GC should be more general, like 'what is your asl?' or 'asl?'

Generalmente encuentro General Chat demasiado "general" [/spanish inquisition]

Generally, I would generalize the general conception of the generalness of general chat, but I don't think it cannot be general, unless you do the generalization that generalists give to the Surgeon General that are our admins about the general ideas of the users. TranslationGeneral chat is general.

I win?

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I think it's okay.

Uh, generally.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I tend to see General Chat as the forum where if I want to post a thread and it doesn't fit into any of the other forums, I'll post it here. Along with things like birthday and newbies threads. So in that respect I'd say it's pretty general but like Roto said, not as general as it would be without forums like The Lounge and EoEO.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

This forum is an area open to many different types of discussion. Though oft times it that threads are closed, or moved to a new area. Sure some things are better suited for EoEO, and most of the time the movement of one thread to another forum is best suited. But, with this in mind, we should ask ourselves: what about having a light discussion about an otherwise serious manner?

Now to address threads that "don't have topics" Sometimes I think it is taken to far, a thread were there is CLEARLY no topic should be closed. But sometimes it seems as though the statement that is made in the opening post is clearly open for discussion and therefore creates a topic for the thread. It seems to me sometimes a thread is closed simply for not asking or instructing its readers. For example the "I am very mad" thread that was closed recently. Because it didn't ask others what made them mad it was closed, though I thought that the idea of the thread was clearly made out to be discussing things that make us angry...

All that said, my opinion of the matter to be summed up in the briefest and most simple way possible, all of this is trivial and I think that this particular sub forum works just fine, not overflowing with spam due to the regulations, yet still offering very few restrictions on free discussion.

All in all I think that sums up my thoughts relatively well...

Quote Originally Posted by Look up you lazy person
    Bonus points for using the word "general," along with any variants such as "generally," "generalize," "generalmente" or "Surgeon General."
    Wait... Did I just smurf that up?
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It basically depends on what kind of mood our all-powerful Last Boss of the Internet mods and admins are in.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> spam forum..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles

General Chat has lost its former glory. With topics being too closely monitored and a lot of the "fun" being taken out of topics, General Chat has become too boring.

Even EoEo is too heavily monitored. If you want good discussion you have to let things run a little more smoothly with a little more hands off.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDragon View Post
    General Chat has lost its former glory. With topics being too closely monitored and a lot of the "fun" being taken out of topics, General Chat has become too boring.

Even EoEo is too heavily monitored. If you want good discussion you have to let things run a little more smoothly with a little more hands off.

General Chat has changed for the worse over the span of these last years sadly.